Is mental health care turning society into mental health patients?

[Ju...]

I know this subject has a lot of opinions to it. My goal isn't to bash the medical community, or to prevent anybody from getting medical treatment, this is purely a philosophical point of view and different way of looking at things. I know that medical professionals went through a lot of training so they could help people, and obviously that's their purpose. But sometimes things are more harm than help, I'm looking at this whole entire mental health care issue from a different perspective now.

Look at Society these days, it's lots of mass shootings and hospitalizations and people suffering from mental health conditions, and last time I looked over 40% of society is on pills. If my grandparents were still alive, they would have said this is ridiculous and it's a bunch of crap. I guarantee my grandparents generation would not have put up with this.

Now everybody looks to doctors for everything, almost like it's the solve all solution or some kind of magic trick or something. Everybody goes to a therapist or a social worker or a counselor, or they see a psychologist or a psychiatrist for everything. Whoever decided that we needed to see somebody for our feelings in the first place? What's wrong with enjoying nature and eating good food and listening to music and working out and getting into arguments from time to time and experiencing hardships and true life feelings?

To take things even deeper, why do people have to be on pills? What's wrong with anxiety and depression, why are we taught that it's a bad thing? As far as I know, crying is probably a good thing and experiencing anxiety is probably something you need to survive. I know for a fact when I was taking benzos, I did a lot of Reckless BS and got myself into a lot of crap that wasn't necessary. Maybe if I had my natural anxiety feelings it would have prevented a lot of that. Why is society supposed to feel flat these days?

Look at these school shootings and movie theater shootings, do you think that's really natural? I'm not blaming medical professionals or the pharmaceutical industry, but nine times out of 10 these people are on psychiatric pills. I guess you could ask yourself, is it mental health issues, or is it bad side effects causing these Mass murders?

And sometimes I look at things from a philosophical point of view with mental health treatment in general. It's like okay, it might save a life from time to time. That would be the purpose right, to help some people out from time to time? But let's say that you have some anxiety about a job or you don't feel comfortable around your new girlfriend because of anxiety, what is a pill going to solve? What is talking about it going to solve? Nothing really, the situation doesn't change. Just because you get a different perspective or a different way of thinking about something, it doesn't actually mean that it changes anything. If it doesn't change anything, why not learn naturally instead of listening to another perspective? Isn't that the whole purpose of learning, like learning how to cook or learning what dangers to stay away from, I'm pretty sure we were biologically built to learn things the proper way. Perhaps mental health treatment gets in the way of our biological self, doing more damage than good.

For example, let's say that you get anxiety being naked around your partner before sex. Why would you talk to a psychiatrist about it or think that a therapist could help you? Maybe you should be talking to your spouse and doing what nature does, and learning to deal with it and starting to enjoy it. I just don't see any benefit of pills or Psychiatry with natural relationships. Or perhaps if it is truly that bad, maybe you shouldn't be in a relationship in the first place.

Let's say that you have bad social anxiety and you can't talk to coworkers or you can't be around your boss or family members at thanksgiving. There's all kinds of issues with anxiety, I know firsthand. But what the hell is a psychiatrist or a therapist going to do about it? I mean sure they can dope you up with all kinds of pharmaceuticals and make you flat, but is that what you want? I'm pretty sure 99% of people aren't looking to lose their feelings, they just don't want to feel awkward and uncomfortable. So if something is truly that uncomfortable and awkward, perhaps we were meant to live a singular life alone or try to limit our social interactions. Nobody is forcing us to go to work and family gatherings, we could just ask our doctor for disability instead. Is it better to be on disability and be healthy and have fun at home and work out and eat good, or is it better to be flat and incompetent with no emotions just so that you can go to Thanksgiving dinners? I'm not saying everybody on pills is incompetent and thinking flat, but you get my drift. Maybe certain types of situations are just not for certain types of people. This is real life, it's not a textbook Society where everybody feels the same about everything.

Let's say that you are one of those very depressed people for example. How is a therapist telling you to be grateful for things, or to look at the good things in life, how is that actually going to change your reality? How is a psychiatrist giving you antidepressants going to improve your life? Even if you take pills and become happy about everything, is it a real happiness? Of course not. It is a pill induced happiness, so why not find the real solution in the first place? For example, what if it's your diet that is causing the issues and not brain imbalances? Like what if you were just deficient in Vitamin B or vitamin D or you didn't have enough endorphins from exercising? Would you really want to screw that up by adding a bunch of synthetic pills and hoping for the best? Or perhaps you're just not a very happy person in the first place, maybe you need to figure out what it is you truly enjoy in life and figure out a way to get it or make it happen. I just don't think mental health treatment is the solution for everything.

And then there's all of the coping skills that they teach. Like sure you can color in a book, you can talk about your triggers to people, you can try to avoid stressful situations, you can try to think of things in a different way, but there's tons of better Solutions out there. What about going for walks on the beach or hiking mountains, or going snowboarding or racing cars, or creating a software program or doing real artwork, or building cars or even building houses. Think about how many cool things there are in this world, why would you want to do something stupid like color in a book or talk about triggers when there's a bunch of cool positive stuff to do instead? Even going to the mall is better than talking about triggers.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I think Mental Health Care treatment is convincing society that everybody has to act a certain way and everybody has to think a certain way, and everybody has to believe a certain type of mentality. It's almost like we are all losing our freedom, and everybody is being taught to act politically correct and respect doctors and politicians, and disregard what they like in life. Why can't we go back to living a normal life like our grandparents, with good food and cracking jokes and getting people irritated and getting into arguments? Whatever happened to having thick skin and doing risky stuff and being politically incorrect? That was part of the fun in life, just simply being impolite or Politically Incorrect sometimes. It's like all the humor in life disappeared, because of Mental Health care.

I still think our grandparents would be really pissed off if they knew how the society was going these days. I remember my grandparents used to say to stay away from the doctor and eat an apple everyday, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. Now it's like everybody's doing the opposite, they're like "hey let's take lots of pills and go to lots of doctors and try to figure out Solutions at the doctor's office".

Maybe everybody forgot, the mental institutions were only for the extremely crazy people back in the day, and then because of the new laws they were forced to send everybody home. That's whenever this outpatient mental health stuff started, whenever the crazy people got let out. So why is it that Society thinks it's okay for everybody to be in the whole entire Mental Health institution these days? Why not let it go back to the extreme cases, and everybody else get their freedom back and enjoy life naturally like it was supposed to be?

Think about the millions of years before us, the multiple Generations before our grandparents. They didn't take any pills, they didn't go to mental health professionals. They all survived just fine and they all lived fulfilling life, so why shouldn't we? Why is it that all of a sudden now everybody thinks if they don't go to the doctor or listen to Medical advice, that they're not going to have a fun fulfilling healthy life? Perhaps it's the opposite, maybe life was more healthy and more fulfilling and just overall better prior to Mental Health care. Maybe the old school methods were a lot better than the new ones. I don't know, but I think Society took a huge downturn and spiraled out of control and a lot of it is related to Mental Health care. Of course these are my perspectives and my own philosophies at the moment. I think Society should go back to normal and go back to natural ways and accepting what is in front of us and figuring out a way to deal with it.

This is why most musicians end up on pills and drugs. 90% of people were not meant to perform in front of thousands. This is an extreme of what you're saying, how we try to fit into a life that society expects us to fit into that were just never were designed to live that way as human beings in the first place.

Another reason why they let those with severe mental issues "go in the streets/back into society" is because we could not afford to house them any longer. The psychotropic pills that were invented in the 50's & 60's  had a lot of hope put into them being effective.

It's been said MANY times, even in "Time Magazine" and other publications including medical journals, that the SSRIs have crappy trials of effectiveness. This is why Abilify was created because the SSRIs were not really effective,  so drug companies added another pill for their pills.

All of my close friends take this stuff. I have about 4 close friends. I no longer talk to any of them because they all take SSRIs and or benzos and they are all slowly starting to have issues. Things like not being able to drive on highways, or severe increased anxiety requiring ambulance trips to the hospital. 3 of the 4 of my friends  are no longer working and have not been able to since their 40's. One i gave the "Cadillac" of warnings. Talks on the phone. Many resource links. She just didn't believe me that her SSRI and her Benzo are her problem. I HAD to quit talking to her. I don't talk to any of them anymore. I tried. I can't. They are too triggering. I had to move on and gently let them go so I could heal, and I have a new life and I really don't miss them. They were a lot. It's sad.

It is quite a mind blower that in most circles that I'm  in at anytime that at least one of those people are on a psychotropic med, if not more. If they aren't taking one themself, then their kids are.

This has forced me to really make my life simple. My husband is around for the ride with me on this and he doesn't mind this part of it at all. He is really enjoying that we spend most of our time in nature, doing outdoor sports with our dog. We enjoy cooking clean and our evenings are peaceful watching movies and playing games. After he's been on the phone with clients all day and drawing blueprints he enjoys our simple life. That is the silver lining in all of this. It's also reduced any stress he was having because our life is so calm and peaceful on account of me being sick with WD necessitating it. He's always been a bit of a homebody and a bit of an introvert so it was an easy and welcomed transition for him.

We definitely adjusted easily to stepping out of the "Rat Race" and once I'm healed we don't see ourselves returning to it. We talk about this all of the time. It is like turning back the clock to our childhoods.  We were both born in 1970 and things were as you described. People just laughed more without all the social pressures. We "press the simple button" every chance we get. The result is peace, calm, and being able to watch nature and birds and appreciate the small things. Our friends/his clients who are "spazes" always have to be doing something, or be the center of attention. They just can't relate to our laid back life style and we don't care. My husband especially does not care.

• Love 1

JustInTime, those prior generations you speak of weren't as idyllic as you portray them.  Two of my uncles, my father's brothers, died as a direct result of alcoholism in an era before mental health or self-groups were available to them.  I had an aunt who suffered from terrible mental health issues as a result of sexual abuse as a child from a member of the community where her family lived.  She only opened up about this issue late in her life when it this topic became more open to discussion in our society.  These are only two examples of people from my family who might have benefitted from the mental health/self-help groups that are available to people in today's society.  Alcoholism/addiction, depression/anxiety, abuse in many forms - all of these have been around for eons and the options for treatment are much more available and diverse than they were for my ancestors and I'm grateful for that.

Yes, there has always been issues with drugs throughout history. But there weren't any psychiatric pills until recently, and I think they made society into a bunch of zombies and people who run to the doctor for everything. There were a bunch of Alcoholics in my family as well, they used to get into fist fights on christmas. Grandparents did drugs back in the world war, and one of my grandparents used to lock theirselves in the room for weeks at a time.

But you know what is different now than back then? The grandparents didn't run to the doctor every month and they didn't seek answers from mental health professionals for everything. It was what it was back then, there was no sugar coating it as much. These days, there's a label for everything and we're expected to actually care about the label as if it means something.

I mean sure, it's great to know what condition you have, but does it matter at the end of the day? I never even considered that question until my best friend asked me about 3 years ago before getting off the pills. He asked me directly, who cares if you have PTSD and who cares if you have anxiety conditions? He said don't we all? He said some people go to war and get into car wrecks and lose kids and never go to a doctor, even though they suffer as well. He said do you think it would actually change if they had a label? Probably not. It was around that time I started to realize, all of these diagnoses don't change anything. It's just putting words on reality, and labeling reality and trying to make it into something that it shouldn't be. We all have feelings and we all have trauma and we're all supposed to learn how to deal with it naturally.

I wish the psychiatrist had told me I was normal when I was 17, instead of saying I had a condition. Maybe he wouldn't have prescribed pills, maybe he would have said hey man you're going to be just fine, you're going to be a millionaire one day. Maybe if he had told me I was going to be a superstar if I learn how to deal with my problems, maybe it would have made me into a stronger person. But what did he do? He said you have an anxiety condition and you require medications. I think that was a really bad way of looking at it, because how would he have known if I had an anxiety condition anyways? It is not like he went with me to businesses and school and jobs. Plus what kind of 17-year-old is good at explaining their symptoms anyways? I probably explained everything wrong and got a wrong diagnosis just from the explanation.

Now if I had had problems back in the 20s or 30s, they would have said rough it out and be a man, they would have said get out there and do what you're supposed to do. It would have sucked, I would have been forced to become a man a lot quicker. I probably would have whined and possibly throwing a fit, Who knows. But you know what? It would have been the better option. And if I wasn't capable of performing a good job after trying for a long time, then they would have deemed me disabled eventually. But you know what? That's what happened anyway, and ended up suffering for 3 years because of the pills and the so-called conditions. So if it had been back in the day, I would have suffered way less and figured it out naturally instead of synthetically.

Back in the day if somebody couldn't hold a job or they couldn't perform at their job well, basically society would write them off as a screw up or crazy or label them as an outcast. Now was it nice? No, but it's not nice going to psychiatric hospitals and strip search and taking pills your whole life either. Are we more understanding these days? I don't know, I wouldn't really say so.

I think there is a false acceptance these days, but I don't think it's a true understanding or acceptance of mental health. Try getting Social Security benefits because of Mental Health problems, or try telling your boss that you're having mental health problems and can't perform at your job, or tell the police officer that you're experiencing a mental health condition, or tell your children that you can't take care of them because of mental health. Whenever it comes to finances or responsibilities, they don't accept Mental Health problems.

So I don't know, all I know is that the old days were better and there were a lot less people, things were a lot more simple. They say there have been advancements in medicine, but I don't agree. The old medicines were the strong medicines and the best ones, and now they are Banning them.

Even though people were a lot more ruthless back in the day, there was a lot more humor and a lot more smiles. Did people get picked on? Yes of course. Do they still? Of course. Did people accept gays or blacks or transvestites or did they think drug use was okay, and did they look out for low income people's rights? No, but they still don't.

Even women, the whole women versus men pay scale stuff. Or women's abortion rights, all that kind of stuff. Has it changed? No.

So really maybe it was just better back in the day. I guess it depends on if you take psychiatric pills or not, but most people who don't take them would agree that it was better off back then. I think the world has turned into a big psychiatric hospital and it's not very safe.

• 3 months later...
Not at all. Every single person is responsible for their own mental health and if you feel that you can't take care of it alone, you need to get a professional help. Last couple of months where very stressful for me and in one point i realized that i don't feel alive anymore, more like a robot which does 100 different things and just needs to complete the tasks. I made a strong decision to change it, wrote to these guys for help https://www.grabmyessay.com/pay-for-research-paper with my studies, called my old friends and spent some time just chatting about life. Felt so good!

Mental health care can be a double-edged sword: they rx meds that seem to help at first--or overtime...but then the medication can get to where it can cause more problems than what it's worth, orrr the person hits tolerance.

Mental disorders do exist: schizophrenia,  depression, chronic anxiety, bipolar and the list goes on.

It is how psychiatry handles the situation: "we'll give them a few prescriptions."

Why not get to the root of the situation??? Why not something other than medicine that's therapeutic???

I was prescribed medication years ago (early 2000's) for an anxiety disorder and had derealization and depersonalization with it...absolutely scary not knowing what it was. Sooo, I ran to a Psychiatric FNP, and told her I heard klonopin was good stuff for anxiety. She handed the script over along with 4 or 5 more prescriptions:

Abilify, neurontin and a few others I don't remember. 

Just for this anxiety disorder.

No doubt, I had bad anxiety...but asking for the klonopin was the biggest mistake.

I got addicted to it along with other pills over a good 8 or 9 years.

Sooo glad, I can cope these days with anxiety...which comes and goes.

There was no disorder.

Ps. She also told me I had schizoeffective disorder...which no doubt, it exists. That said, I didn't and don't have it. Just a wild imagination and eccentric. Lol nothing wrong with that.

❤️

• Love 1

I think you kind of explained what was going through my head when I asked the original question, like do these conditions actually exist or not? I know that medical professionals tell people they have conditions such as bipolar and schizophrenia and anxiety conditions, but are they actually conditions, or are they just things with a name that medical professionals come up with?

For example, maybe somebody who was born up north is hardwired by nature to be more on guard for big predators like grizzly bears or Wolves Out in the woods, so would it be accurate for a modern day professional to say those people have a anxiety condition just because they're not equipped to live in the south around big cities full of people?

Or let's say that you are a human being that was hardwired from birth to do better in social situations in big cities, but then you get really nervous and scared when you go out in the wild out in the woods. Would it be accurate to say that these people have anxiety conditions when they're out in the woods, just because they weren't programmed to be out there in the first place?

I think life is too complicated for us to expect medical professionals to give us good advice. Maybe instead of forcing somebody to stay in their current predicament and trying to get them to accommodate themselves to their surroundings, Maybe the better option would be to get them out of their current condition and situation, and place them in another area where it's better suited for them.

I'm just not so sure about the whole mental health condition thing anymore, there's too many questions and not enough evidence. Everything in the whole Mental Health Community is based on subjective evidence, and it's all City based. What about the people who don't live in the city and don't communicate with society, like Ranchers and farmers?

I just think that there's no one size fit all solution for people's feelings, yet medical professionals are trying to make it that way because they see it like one thing should fit everyone, but that's not how life works. And in doing so, I think they're causing lots of problems and making people into mental health patients by giving them stuff they never needed.

I think you kind of explained what was going through my head when I asked the original question, like do these conditions actually exist or not? I know that medical professionals tell people they have conditions such as bipolar and schizophrenia and anxiety conditions, but are they actually conditions, or are they just things with a name that medical professionals come up with?

For example, maybe somebody who was born up north is hardwired by nature to be more on guard for big predators like grizzly bears or Wolves Out in the woods, so would it be accurate for a modern day professional to say those people have a anxiety condition just because they're not equipped to live in the south around big cities full of people?

Or let's say that you are a human being that was hardwired from birth to do better in social situations in big cities, but then you get really nervous and scared when you go out in the wild out in the woods. Would it be accurate to say that these people have anxiety conditions when they're out in the woods, just because they weren't programmed to be out there in the first place?

I think life is too complicated for us to expect medical professionals to give us good advice. Maybe instead of forcing somebody to stay in their current predicament and trying to get them to accommodate themselves to their surroundings, Maybe the better option would be to get them out of their current condition and situation, and place them in another area where it's better suited for them.

I'm just not so sure about the whole mental health condition thing anymore, there's too many questions and not enough evidence. Everything in the whole Mental Health Community is based on subjective evidence, and it's all City based. What about the people who don't live in the city and don't communicate with society, like Ranchers and farmers?

I just think that there's no one size fit all solution for people's feelings, yet medical professionals are trying to make it that way because they see it like one thing should fit everyone, but that's not how life works. And in doing so, I think they're causing lots of problems and making people into mental health patients by giving them stuff they never needed.

Are they really conditions?

I think schizophrenia is indeed.

I believe most anxiety and depression can be narrowed down to developmental psychology: more or less, going through mental phases as ppl grow older, adolescents or midlife agers.

I had at least 3 psychology classes during nursing school, and I took Developmental Psychology. I recall sitting there, thinking about the correlation between what the professor was saying vs mental illness diagnosis: how adolescents have anxiety and depression as they grow into adulthood.

AND isn't it adolescents who are prescribed the most medications (Prozac, Xanax, klonopin, Lithium, Ritalin et al)?

Yes!

And many ppl in their 40's also go through a time of hard stress and anxiety as they cross the bridge from youth to midlife.

AND don't many elderly patients get a diagnosis of schizophrenia? Yes, they do.

I've worked in several nursing homes, and have seen their dx.

I personally believe it is normal for ppl to enter phases of anxiety and depression as they develop throughout life. But in spite of, medications are dispensed like candy.

My anxiety in my 20's were part of my growing and developing,  but the FNP told me: "you have an anxiety disorder, and medications are required."

Hindsight is our best friend, oh but sometimes it's cringe and torturous lol. It was my bad judgement to go to this quack.

Lol put her on klonopin 9 years and spin her off it...

Watch her squirm in the hot seat for a while. Her opinion on how good and effective these drugs are would be diametrically changed!

And yes, absolutely, the Mental Health field is theory and medications--THEY don't even know much about themselves. They are schooled and tested, but they learn what they're told. And Big Pharma has a secret hand in that.

I know personally they do. I've been to nursing school.

I could go on and on...

But for now, I'll yield.

• Love 1

Ps. I'm not on any crusades to go against psychiatry.

It's how they handle the situation at hand by dispensing medications like it's no big thing.

THAT'S what I don't agree with.

• Love 1

Psychiatrists are too quick to hand out pills, and too lazy to actually rule out medical conditions. I still feel intense anger at the useless psychiatrist who poisoned me with Klonopin, when I never needed it. It's going to take a long time for me to let go. Every day I am reminded of her reckless decision, which my Endocrinologist was flabbergasted about, to the point she wanted to call this doctor and have some words with her. My Endo correctly identified that my issue was medical, not psychiatric, and the stupid Klonopin never made a difference! The magnesium infusions did! My Endo even told me to pay attention to my symptoms, they escalated right before I needed another infusion. And disappeared right after the infusion, until another 3-4 weeks passed.

I finally got an Orphan Drug from the UK, after an 8 month process. Two months later I was free of the hypomagnesemia, and all the pseudo-panic/anxiety that my Endo said is a common symptom of hypomagnesemia. The Psych doc could have called the Endo, it was in my medical records I had this. My former PCP sent me to a clueless GI doc who wouldn't even look at the research I'd done on Netazepide.  That's one of many reasons she's my former PCP, and I left that GI doc and never went back. A CareLink nurse set me up with another that she promised would be better. He was. And I found a new PCP who supported my efforts to get the Orphan Drug. The new GI doc actually called and talked to my Endo, my Endo was in favor of my obtaining the Orphan Drug. The new GI doc helped me with the FDA process, he talked to the UK research facility that developed the drug, and I got it. The Endo was impressed the GI doc consulted her, he called my PCP too. She also said she supported me getting this drug.

If the Psych doc had bothered to do her job, and actually listened to me, and gave me what I really wanted, which was THERAPY, I wouldn't be wasting more years of my life dealing with a chronic condition. I can go after her for malpractice, and I am pursuing just that. I despise her. I've now fired 6 doctors (2 I only saw twice, 1 only once, and a current provider who is clinically certified in addictions and dependency wants me to report him to the medical board for misrepresentation and grossly incompetent and unprofessional behavior, my Endo called him "irresponsible" and his treatment "unprofessional.")and 1 nurse practitioner over the past 5 years. I found 3 to replace them. The only one I've kept is my Endo, she was fixing others mistakes.

Mental Health needs an overhaul. The whole medical system needs an overhaul. Now, I question everything, and I want absolute evidence of why a provider wants to do abc. And I consult my Endo on many things, because she's never failed me, and she will not hesitate to disagree with another professional's decision.

• Love 1

Psychiatrists are too quick to hand out pills, and too lazy to actually rule out medical conditions. I still feel intense anger at the useless psychiatrist who poisoned me with Klonopin, when I never needed it. It's going to take a long time for me to let go. Every day I am reminded of her reckless decision, which my Endocrinologist was flabbergasted about, to the point she wanted to call this doctor and have some words with her. My Endo correctly identified that my issue was medical, not psychiatric, and the stupid Klonopin never made a difference! The magnesium infusions did! My Endo even told me to pay attention to my symptoms, they escalated right before I needed another infusion. And disappeared right after the infusion, until another 3-4 weeks passed.

I finally got an Orphan Drug from the UK, after an 8 month process. Two months later I was free of the hypomagnesemia, and all the pseudo-panic/anxiety that my Endo said is a common symptom of hypomagnesemia. The Psych doc could have called the Endo, it was in my medical records I had this. My former PCP sent me to a clueless GI doc who wouldn't even look at the research I'd done on Netazepide.  That's one of many reasons she's my former PCP, and I left that GI doc and never went back. A CareLink nurse set me up with another that she promised would be better. He was. And I found a new PCP who supported my efforts to get the Orphan Drug. The new GI doc actually called and talked to my Endo, my Endo was in favor of my obtaining the Orphan Drug. The new GI doc helped me with the FDA process, he talked to the UK research facility that developed the drug, and I got it. The Endo was impressed the GI doc consulted her, he called my PCP too. She also said she supported me getting this drug.

If the Psych doc had bothered to do her job, and actually listened to me, and gave me what I really wanted, which was THERAPY, I wouldn't be wasting more years of my life dealing with a chronic condition. I can go after her for malpractice, and I am pursuing just that. I despise her. I've now fired 6 doctors (2 I only saw twice, 1 only once, and a current provider who is clinically certified in addictions and dependency wants me to report him to the medical board for misrepresentation and grossly incompetent and unprofessional behavior, my Endo called him "irresponsible" and his treatment "unprofessional.")and 1 nurse practitioner over the past 5 years. I found 3 to replace them. The only one I've kept is my Endo, she was fixing others mistakes.

Mental Health needs an overhaul. The whole medical system needs an overhaul. Now, I question everything, and I want absolute evidence of why a provider wants to do abc. And I consult my Endo on many things, because she's never failed me, and she will not hesitate to disagree with another professional's decision.

I don't blame you for going after her for malpractice, if you can make a successful case out if it.

You're right: she should have listened and accessed you more thoroughly, but instead she opted on giving you a pill which escalated into this.

She ran on money and Big Pharma. Well, her ego minced with "professionalism" (she knows best because she graduated from college yadda yadda).

I get it.

You brought up some good points, such as adolescents with anxiety and depression. But my question still remains, is it just hormones and school and sugar and bad diet causing these symptoms, but doctors just give it a name such as anxiety? For example, maybe there's no actual so-called anxiety condition, maybe it's just a bunch of junk from school like sugary drinks and lots of carbs causing physical symptoms that mimic anxiety.

Or take depression for example, when doctors say that people have a depressive disorder, maybe that individual just isn't getting enough exercise and they don't have enough endorphins. Or maybe they're eating junk food or maybe they're going through something else physically, and it mimics depression. So how would the doctor know if they actually have a condition or not?

Or take the schizophrenia thing for example, maybe these people don't have a psychiatric condition, maybe they're eating something that's causing them to hear voices. Maybe it's like an allergy, and maybe they never figure it out throughout their whole entire life because they're constantly giving themselves allergies with whatever is in their regular diet. I'm not saying that's how schizophrenia works at all, but you know what I mean hypothetically.

I think the biggest problem with Psychiatry is that psychiatrists think you're supposed to act a certain way, when the reality is that we were hardwired to act a different way than what they think.

Psychiatry thinks you're supposed to fit in as a society member, but animalistic instincts tell the different story.

You brought up some good points, such as adolescents with anxiety and depression. But my question still remains, is it just hormones and school and sugar and bad diet causing these symptoms, but doctors just give it a name such as anxiety? For example, maybe there's no actual so-called anxiety condition, maybe it's just a bunch of junk from school like sugary drinks and lots of carbs causing physical symptoms that mimic anxiety.

Or take depression for example, when doctors say that people have a depressive disorder, maybe that individual just isn't getting enough exercise and they don't have enough endorphins. Or maybe they're eating junk food or maybe they're going through something else physically, and it mimics depression. So how would the doctor know if they actually have a condition or not?

Or take the schizophrenia thing for example, maybe these people don't have a psychiatric condition, maybe they're eating something that's causing them to hear voices. Maybe it's like an allergy, and maybe they never figure it out throughout their whole entire life because they're constantly giving themselves allergies with whatever is in their regular diet. I'm not saying that's how schizophrenia works at all, but you know what I mean hypothetically.

I think the biggest problem with Psychiatry is that psychiatrists think you're supposed to act a certain way, when the reality is that we were hardwired to act a different way than what they think.

Psychiatry thinks you're supposed to fit in as a society member, but animalistic instincts tell the different story.

I agree about the food children eat: when a, let's say 12 year old drinks 6 pack of soda a day, there's bound to be anxiety on the rise. Or little Susie eats a candy bar for breakfast for a quick meal, yeah it could cause mental problems overtime.

Society is full of sheep that supposedly act normalwhatever that is: routine, fit in with the clique and do whatever the others do. Someone that's eccentric or has an imagination outside the box is somehow "mental" or has antisocial behavior... dx with it, anyway.

I understand how the oddball could be pegged "schizo..." etc etc.

I agree with your points.

Either that or developmental.

Today's kids eat too much junk food. But then again, healthy food in the deli is priced so high...it's ridiculous. 

What a mess society is. How backwards of a world....

So true, I like that point about sleep as well. You could take someone who made the ultimate career and had extremely high intelligence and got the best grades and got a bachelor's degree and had all the motivation on the world, but if they lose sleep every night for a couple weeks, they're going to start getting anxiety and delusions eventually. Does that mean if they go to a psychiatrist and tell the doctor about their horrible anxiety and how uncomfortable they are and how they're starting to see things warping in color and how they can't stay awake at work, does that mean that they have ADD and anxiety conditions and schizophrenia now? Who knows with the way that the DSM-5 book works.

Or you could take someone who really does hear voices and see things all the time, and they could go to the psychiatrist and say nothing is wrong and they feel completely normal. Does that mean they don't have any mental health conditions, just because the doctor doesn't know and the patient doesn't tell the doctor? I don't think subjective stories are very good for diagnosis either.

And you made a good point about the price of healthy food, and then there's also issues with impoverished areas like food deserts. Supposedly there's lots of mental health issues in poor areas, so maybe it has a lot to do with diet rather than hereditary stuff. Of course there's also Alcohol and Other substances, which can also mimic mental health conditions when they're used all the time.

But let's say you take an ordinary person who gets enough sleep, eats healthy food 100% of the time, gets plenty of exercise, enjoys the outdoors and gets plenty of sunshine, and tells the doctor exactly how they feel and explains themselves perfectly to the psychiatrist, usually they still get a diagnosis. Since when does a psychiatrist have somebody come in and tell their story, and then let them walk out the door with no diagnosis so that insurance won't cover it? I don't think that ever happens, most likely the doctor is going to diagnose something, it's just that those types of people don't normally go to the psychiatrist in the first place. But I'm still curious what they would get diagnosed, there should be a test where a bunch of normal people go into a doctor and find out what they leave with.

I'm not anti-doctor at all, I believe they all have good intentions and they learned a lot of knowledge in medical school and from the pharmaceutical industry and research studies, it's just how accurate is the school and the medical industry and the studies in the first place? Like if you have 20 people who took trial drug and they all thought that they had promising anxiety relief from that drug, then the drug gets approved and eventually thousands of people end up getting that drug for those anxiety conditions that were supposedly lessened. I wonder how many people out of those thousands who got the same drug as the trial group, I wonder if it's going to have the same success rate on thousands of people as it did on the 20 people.

And then there's the issue of the medical school teaching the doctors, since when does a college properly teach people and the students end up leaving knowing everything in their profession? Hardly ever. Most people go into the workforce almost blind right out of college, so why would it be any different with the medical profession?

But the major reason aside from all of that stuff above, I still think the main reason Psychiatry isn't very accurate is because of the fact we originated from a certain country at a certain latitude and longitude, with certain UV rays and certain natural predators living nearby, and that's where we originated from originally before our parents and grandparents, like our true ancestors. So if you think back thousands of years, most likely we were hunting and Gathering or we were farming or doing something similar. So now there's all these new mental health diagnoses, that wouldn't even fit anything.

Like now they have these Authority mental conditions, when our ancestors didn't even have anybody telling them what to do. Or think about these new electronics mental disorders, or pornography disorders or anything else similar to that from Modern days, those weren't around back in the day either. So if it's not a natural thing, how could it even be possible in the first place? It seems to me that they're just making up names to things now and finding the people that fit the niche.

Oh, the modern world is full of stresses for kids and teenagers, and has been for decades.

Body types, peer pressure, bullying, outside influencers and the list goes on...

Marijuana is another iffy subject, because it does and can cause mental disorders: derealization and depersonalization are two.

Go to these derealization forums, and more than half who suffer dr for years on in have smoked Marijuana. 

If you can't handle it, don't smoke it. Yet, society claims it's safe...

Does no harm...

One day, it'll catch up.

Valium was deemed safe in tge 70's...

Did no harm...

Lol, yeah right.

Cocaine is another one that was safe years ago...

Did no harm...

😆

Why is it, society always gets it wrong?

And we won't mention cigarettes...

Classy in the 50's...

Cool, Hollywood gerus and stars all smoked.

It's what the cool and classy did.

I'm a smoker myself, but well aware it can cause cancer and emphysema.

I personally believe suburban moms and the likes of, think it's healthy and cool to take their children to a therapist that rx Ritalin, Adderall  and all the other medicines that fit into the "clique of other moms who trust the hum hum".

All that jazz.

Society is messed up, and therefore hard to say all the factors that cause mental illness.

I believe there are authentic mental illnesses, but then again...are there? I mean, when you really look past the shallow theory and catchphrase of chemical imbalance.

• Love 1

Definitely, I feel like I could have written that myself. I agree 100% about everything you said, especially the substances like the recreational drugs. I used all kinds of recreational drugs from about 13 until I was about 33, so like 20 years straight just about. I can't get into details on here because of the substance abuse rules, but I'm sure you get my drift. And were the benzos any better or worse? Not really, they all change your mind and then your mind has to recover, so it's really no different if you take something prescribed or recreational or legal or illegal, it's all the same.

Yes the marijuana one is very touchy, people are very adamant about what they put in their body and they will defend it no matter what you tell them. As a matter of fact, I got thrown back into acute withdrawal because of it, had to go through the brunt of Klonopin cold turkey twice instead of once throughout this last 40 months or so. I lost track, I don't even know how many months it's been at this point.

And yeah about the cocaine and alcohol, that has to be one of the worst combos. Ask anybody who abuses drugs all the time when the dumbest things they did in life were, and a lot of them will say they were on that.

And yeah as far as the other mental conditions like schizophrenia and the extreme ones, I'm not really sure what's up with those. I've never seen anybody in a country area on the beach talking to themselves, nor have I seen anybody hiking through the mountains out in the wilderness having a conversation with the sky. It seems to always be in the city where people are taking pills or drugs, either that or somebody who's eating a bad diet. I don't just say that without any experience, I've been around tons of those types throughout the years whenever I was living in the city homeless a few years back. As soon as I left the city and went back to the country, they were nowhere to be found. Now that I'm back in the city again, although I'm in a much better predicament of course, they're all over the city again.

Of course there's other things that are hereditary like down syndrome and autism and those types of disorders, but I wouldn't exactly even call them a disorder. I would say it's just genetic defects or advantages, whichever way you want to look at it. Lots of dogs are born with defects and cats and all the other animals, sometimes they only have one eye or one leg. But would we go around calling animals with defects to be mental patients with mental health disorders? No, for some reason Psychiatry only applies that to humans when they're trying to get them to fit into the social norm.

Sometimes I wish I lived way out in the middle of nowhere all by myself, but I don't know how I could financially accomplish that. For now I live in one of the most liberal cities where I can do whatever I want, so I guess that's as good as I can make it for now if I have to be around other people in society. The doctors say that that's a mental disorder in itself, just because I don't want to be around other individuals and play their games. I've even been labeled antisocial personality disorder, just because I don't agree with stupid bosses and the corrupt politicians in society at the moment. Since when is it a disorder just because you don't agree with how things are going in the world?

Definitely, I feel like I could have written that myself. I agree 100% about everything you said, especially the substances like the recreational drugs. I used all kinds of recreational drugs from about 13 until I was about 33, so like 20 years straight just about. I can't get into details on here because of the substance abuse rules, but I'm sure you get my drift. And were the benzos any better or worse? Not really, they all change your mind and then your mind has to recover, so it's really no different if you take something prescribed or recreational or legal or illegal, it's all the same.

Yes the marijuana one is very touchy, people are very adamant about what they put in their body and they will defend it no matter what you tell them. As a matter of fact, I got thrown back into acute withdrawal because of it, had to go through the brunt of Klonopin cold turkey twice instead of once throughout this last 40 months or so. I lost track, I don't even know how many months it's been at this point.

And yeah about the cocaine and alcohol, that has to be one of the worst combos. Ask anybody who abuses drugs all the time when the dumbest things they did in life were, and a lot of them will say they were on that.

And yeah as far as the other mental conditions like schizophrenia and the extreme ones, I'm not really sure what's up with those. I've never seen anybody in a country area on the beach talking to themselves, nor have I seen anybody hiking through the mountains out in the wilderness having a conversation with the sky. It seems to always be in the city where people are taking pills or drugs, either that or somebody who's eating a bad diet. I don't just say that without any experience, I've been around tons of those types throughout the years whenever I was living in the city homeless a few years back. As soon as I left the city and went back to the country, they were nowhere to be found. Now that I'm back in the city again, although I'm in a much better predicament of course, they're all over the city again.

Of course there's other things that are hereditary like down syndrome and autism and those types of disorders, but I wouldn't exactly even call them a disorder. I would say it's just genetic defects or advantages, whichever way you want to look at it. Lots of dogs are born with defects and cats and all the other animals, sometimes they only have one eye or one leg. But would we go around calling animals with defects to be mental patients with mental health disorders? No, for some reason Psychiatry only applies that to humans when they're trying to get them to fit into the social norm.

Sometimes I wish I lived way out in the middle of nowhere all by myself, but I don't know how I could financially accomplish that. For now I live in one of the most liberal cities where I can do whatever I want, so I guess that's as good as I can make it for now if I have to be around other people in society. The doctors say that that's a mental disorder in itself, just because I don't want to be around other individuals and play their games. I've even been labeled antisocial personality disorder, just because I don't agree with stupid bosses and the corrupt politicians in society at the moment. Since when is it a disorder just because you don't agree with how things are going in the world?

I've had my share of drugs in the past: all was throughout my 20's.

...mostly pills.

I did do some heroin and smoked Marijuana.  Lol, I think many ppl in their spring youth tries some drug or experiments around.

I have no shame in it, because my drug use was a chapter in my life...THAT got me to where I am today.

My first wd experience was Effexor.

Terrible drug...devil in a bottle.

Second was heroin: itching, stomach problems, derealization and the list goes on.

Third was Klonopin...wd was bad, but really didn't do anymore damage than the heroin or Effexor.

A drug is a drug is a drug.

If you're addicted to one tranquilizer,  you're addicted to all.

So glad I am away from the drugs and my  30's and 40's has brought me enlightenment...you could say.

We just moved from the city to the country back in 2020: NY to NC.

I personally like living on my little farm with cats, dogs, ducks and chickens.

Nope, not seen anyone talking to the sky here. In NYC, I did.

Lol, you're so right about that.

Wonder what it is about the urban life that instills the drug life into ppl?

I find rural areas do have its share if beer guzzlers and your random pill heads....

Oh yes, and meth.

But the city does seem to have more of it, statistically.

I don't agree with the politics of the country either. I'm so tired if hearing Donald Trump, Joe Biden and frankly the entire political arena has tired out with me.

I'm neither party honestly. 

I'm sure a psychiatrist out there somewhere would tell me, my careless mind about politics is antisocial and I should get more involved to make a difference by voting for whichever old wealthy man, lol.

I wonder if some psychiatrists don't have their own agendas...

Project it, that kind of stuff.

I hear you, I spent half of my life in North carolina. I was raised in the Appalachian Mountains near the city, and also spent a good majority of my twenties and thirties on the Atlantic side of eastern North carolina. The "crazies" that talk to themselves are definitely there, it's just that they get locked up in voluntarily really quickly due to politics. It's not like big cities where it's normalized.

I feel that politics have a big part in letting those with extreme mental problems run around the city with no kind of solution, almost as if it's normalized. But on the other end of the spectrum, the country areas normalize throwing people in facilities against their will. Is either political spectrum right about things? Not really, they're both just as messed up.

I do know for a fact that in my later party years as I started to get older, I started getting worse off on drugs. Around that time North Carolina started locking me up in state facilities mainly all over eastern North Carolina, and I saw some people that were worse off than when I lived in the big cities on the West Coast and further south. I mean people that walk around the hallways almost 24 hours a day whispering to the devil and having conversations with Jesus and punching people in the face, stuff like that. Where do they go when it's time for discharge? Who knows, but you don't normally see them walking around in the country areas.

I actually got done having a conversation with my mental health counselor yesterday about psychiatry. I asked him, do you think Psychiatry is mainly for society and to meet the medical board's criteria for the psychiatrist, or is it more to help the patient and make people feel comfortable? He didn't know, he said that's a good question. Like if you had to weigh each side and put a percentage on it, which percentage is for society and the psychiatrist, and which percentage is to make the patient comfortable? I'm assuming at least 75% of it is to meet the Psychiatry and Hospital agenda that the medical profession laid out, prior to the patient even arriving and explaining his or her symptoms.

Now that I'm living in downtown Seattle, I see a little mix of everything here. It's kind of similar to when I was living in Denver colorado, other than it's a lot more laid back and I don't see as much violence here. Seems that people are more worried about the outdoors and relaxing, as opposed to being wild and drug-fueled like colorado. Don't get me wrong, it's all the same in a lot of ways, it's just that the whole Pacific Northwest Vibe is a lot more low-key and relaxed.

Now that I'm almost 40, I like to just read and eat good food and go for walks and enjoy myself, because I spent so long and a good majority of my life on substances and going through withdrawal and in and out of hospitals and all that stuff, it gets old real quick and everybody wants a way out eventually.

I'm not ashamed of what I did either, it is what it is and you grow up and you move on hopefully. Some people can't move on, some people get trapped for good. As long as I'm not trapped by psychiatric medications for the rest of my life like some others, I will be just fine. I'm almost 4 years out now, and I feel like in the next few months I will be 100%.

I feel the same: I don't want anymore psychiatric drugs.

I'm happy to be off them.

Just take it easy for a while when you recover, because stress can swing you back around to some symptoms.

A city near the Appalachian Mountains? Hmmm....must be Asheville?

I'm in the central part of the state, where there's alot of nothing and a little bit of everything.

Seattle is a good size city, and I've heard many things about it...never been there.

If I ever move again, I'm thinking Florida or Arizona. I need somewhere, where it stays warm  😊 🌞 🌴

In your 40's, you start understanding so much you didn't before: you become more carefree about what ppl think about you, a little more spiritual and you start realizing life is moving on.

Popculture means nothing, and keeping up with all the trends are a thing of the past.

The Moon, Sun and stars mean a little more in your philosophical depths of "all little things matter".

A cup of coffee once was just to wake up, but now...it has meaning.

I'm 43, so I do know, lol.

That sounds about right, I'm only 4 years younger than you. I was actually really young mentally when I started this benzo withdrawal process three and a half years ago, and now I feel like an old man with all kinds of philosophical views and a boatload more of knowledge under my belt.

Now I'm all focused on the ingredients of my food and which Farms they come from, and the materials my clothing is made out of, and I see straight through all the lies of society and politics. Now I'm able to think for myself and I know what fits me best and what types of situations I'm comfortable with. I know who to listen to, and who I should let it go out the other ear with.

And yes, I went to school in Asheville and I lived there for about 15 years. I also lived in Wilmington and Carolina beach for several years. I spent a lot of time working in a lot of those country areas in the middle of the state, I would drive through the I-40 corridor back and forth to the cities a lot, and I even delivered medical equipment in those unknown towns with a couple country Shacks falling apart and a Country Convenience Store and nothing else.

I'm assuming you're talking about the piedmont, that's the area in between the mountains and the coast. It pretty much goes from outside of Charlotte on the eastern part of the city, to around Fayetteville. Lots of farmland and smaller towns along the way.

I've got lots of family in the Research Triangle as well, in between Durham and wake forest. That's where the major Healthcare is in the state.

I used to live in Florida as well, St Petersburg and Orlando both. I spent lots of time along the Gulf Coast and going down to Miami and up to Jacksonville. It was fun for a while but after a few years the heat gets to be too excruciating in the summertime, as in 115° heat index and you sweat as soon as you walk out the door. Not only that, but the traffic gets a little ridiculous and if you're from an area like North Carolina like I was, you might just move back to the country afterwards. I was only able to last in Florida for about 5 years Max and then went back to North carolina.

That sounds about right, I'm only 4 years younger than you. I was actually really young mentally when I started this benzo withdrawal process three and a half years ago, and now I feel like an old man with all kinds of philosophical views and a boatload more of knowledge under my belt.

Now I'm all focused on the ingredients of my food and which Farms they come from, and the materials my clothing is made out of, and I see straight through all the lies of society and politics. Now I'm able to think for myself and I know what fits me best and what types of situations I'm comfortable with. I know who to listen to, and who I should let it go out the other ear with.

And yes, I went to school in Asheville and I lived there for about 15 years. I also lived in Wilmington and Carolina beach for several years. I spent a lot of time working in a lot of those country areas in the middle of the state, I would drive through the I-40 corridor back and forth to the cities a lot, and I even delivered medical equipment in those unknown towns with a couple country Shacks falling apart and a Country Convenience Store and nothing else.

I'm assuming you're talking about the piedmont, that's the area in between the mountains and the coast. It pretty much goes from outside of Charlotte on the eastern part of the city, to around Fayetteville. Lots of farmland and smaller towns along the way.

I've got lots of family in the Research Triangle as well, in between Durham and wake forest. That's where the major Healthcare is in the state.

I used to live in Florida as well, St Petersburg and Orlando both. I spent lots of time along the Gulf Coast and going down to Miami and up to Jacksonville. It was fun for a while but after a few years the heat gets to be too excruciating in the summertime, as in 115° heat index and you sweat as soon as you walk out the door. Not only that, but the traffic gets a little ridiculous and if you're from an area like North Carolina like I was, you might just move back to the country afterwards. I was only able to last in Florida for about 5 years Max and then went back to North carolina.

Yes, the Piedmont area. Lol I won't say exactly where.

It's not bad here: all the stores you need, country scattered about, most of everyone gets along and it's very warm compared to NY.

I have been through Asheville several times...

It seems OK, but that's just by passing by and judging it.

Back in October,  I was down in Miami and Pampano. I love the Pampano area...

Beach, Casino, nice stores and the ppl seem friendly there.

I remember dreading turning 40, but it's not bad; I like it better than my 20's honestly. 

30's were the "middle ground " for me, it seemed.

Went back to college for RN. As of right now, taking a break from the nursing world.

I honestly want to change careers....

Lol just haven't made my mind up yet.

Asheville is a decent place, although I wouldn't live there again. It's a weird place to live, I don't even know how to really describe it. It's like a mountain culture but it's in a valley. And technically it's a city, but it's a small town Vibe where everybody knows each other. And they say it's liberal, yet it's really pretty conservative. And then you have the wealthy areas like biltmore, yet you've got country areas with trailers right down the street. They have a huge beer culture, yet the homeless people act like hippies. And then you have all of the busking and people playing music and doing magic tricks, yet most of them are homeless and asking for money. It's just a strange place in general, but the food is good and the people are nice.

The Piedmont is a nice quiet area, lots of farmland. I always felt at peace when I was driving through there, outside of the busy traffic areas I mean.

Now I'm back in one of the most hectic cities, but it's not for long-term. Usually every few years I switch back and forth, I go from City to Country living. Sometimes you need the conservative and low-key life to get your mind healed from The Hectic liberal crowded areas. And sometimes Vice versa.

We still have a lot of time ahead of us, I'm sure you will figure out the nursing thing.

Asheville is a decent place, although I wouldn't live there again. It's a weird place to live, I don't even know how to really describe it. It's like a mountain culture but it's in a valley. And technically it's a city, but it's a small town Vibe where everybody knows each other. And they say it's liberal, yet it's really pretty conservative. And then you have the wealthy areas like biltmore, yet you've got country areas with trailers right down the street. They have a huge beer culture, yet the homeless people act like hippies. And then you have all of the busking and people playing music and doing magic tricks, yet most of them are homeless and asking for money. It's just a strange place in general, but the food is good and the people are nice.

The Piedmont is a nice quiet area, lots of farmland. I always felt at peace when I was driving through there, outside of the busy traffic areas I mean.

Now I'm back in one of the most hectic cities, but it's not for long-term. Usually every few years I switch back and forth, I go from City to Country living. Sometimes you need the conservative and low-key life to get your mind healed from The Hectic liberal crowded areas. And sometimes Vice versa.

We still have a lot of time ahead of us, I'm sure you will figure out the nursing thing.

Yeah, Asheville is a little bit of everything lol.

Bernie Sander's land...kids, hippies, mountain men and ppl who cater to the bohemian lifestyle.

Lol, nothing wrong with bohemianism, but the city itself needs loads of work. It looks to be in rough condition last I seen it.

We actually broke down near Black Mountain at that Graham resort.  We had some k8d from Asheville give us a hand.

I'm not really political per se, but I do like country now...which would peg me more conservative, maybe? Lol

I just couldn't handle NY anymore because of towering taxes and cold weather.

Like I said, if I move again...probably Arizona. I tend to like that state. Possibly Florida.

I plan on staying in NC for a while.

I totally understand the urban lifestyle,  as most of my drug days were in NYC. You can't more big city than that... lol.

I like cozy!

...fireplace.

Hmmm....pets and just a laid back mundane life.

A garden...

A few trees.

😃 😊 🌳

How are you feeling, Justin?

You should be much better, being 3 years away from the pills.

I can totally understand your disdain for psychiatry. I think when we are left out in the cold via polypharmacy...we don't have much to say good about it.

I totally get it! I suffered while some big Parma rep was sitting back with loads of money and prosperity.

Very maddening! I totally get it.

I'm alive, although I wouldn't say I'm doing great yet. Lots of people on here give percentages, so I'm guessing maybe I'm anywhere from 80 to 90% at 3 1/2 years out. Some days I feel like I'm almost healed, and some I'm getting big waves from eating something like a bagel with non-organic ingredients. Anything can set me off still, so I try to eat everything natural and organic.

I'm also still having lots of nerve pain and sleep issues, but they are improving sometimes, although not all the time.

I would definitely choose Arizona over Florida if I had to redo things. Orlando and St Petersburg was pretty bad looking back. It's really hot and humid, and you sweat almost immediately coming outside in the summertime. Even if you're used to the Heat and you like heat, you're still going to sweat really quickly. Not only that, but who likes living with cockroaches and spiders 24/7? At least in Arizona you might get an occasional spider or an occasional scorpion, but you're not going to have non-stop roaches in your house like florida.

As far as the politics, yeah I'm pretty sure that they're basically an illusion. Me and my friend talked about this quite a bit over the last year, we've both lived in a lot of cities and a lot of country areas and people are pretty much the same anywhere you go, it's just that either they are country type of people or they are City type of people, it seems to be one or the other.

For example, without getting too much into politics, you don't see too many schizophrenic people running around talking to themselves out on farms if you know what I mean. And you don't see tons of different color people out in the middle of the mountains most of the time. And vice versa, you don't see too many people wearing flannel shirts with big beards in the middle of the city, nor do you see many jacked up trucks covered in mud with rebel flags in the middle of a big city. But other than where the people live and what they do for activities and the type of people they hang out with on a normal basis, they're really not that much different. I think it's the surroundings that change the person, after they've lived somewhere for a while, they start to fit in usually.

Anyhow, I agree that country life is really nice. Sometimes I wish I was out in the middle of nowhere instead of in the middle of downtown, but I know that once I get out in the middle of the country for a few years, I would want something fun to do and I would want to go back to the city again. That's why I keep playing back and forth throughout my life, I always want something different after a couple years.

I guess the only thing that could actually keep me in one place for a long time is if I was lucky enough to have a multi-million dollar mansion on the top of a mountain, like if I had a 20,000 square foot luxury Sotheby's house at the top of the Rocky Mountains looking at some Scenic ranges. Problem with that, I don't have 20 million dollars or more.

I guess all we can do is make the best of the life we have, try to do what we're in the mood for, and go after the places we want to visit. Try to work the careers we want, try to get the cars we want, eat all the good food we can, and sleep as much as we possibly can.

I'm alive, although I wouldn't say I'm doing great yet. Lots of people on here give percentages, so I'm guessing maybe I'm anywhere from 80 to 90% at 3 1/2 years out. Some days I feel like I'm almost healed, and some I'm getting big waves from eating something like a bagel with non-organic ingredients. Anything can set me off still, so I try to eat everything natural and organic.

I'm also still having lots of nerve pain and sleep issues, but they are improving sometimes, although not all the time.

I would definitely choose Arizona over Florida if I had to redo things. Orlando and St Petersburg was pretty bad looking back. It's really hot and humid, and you sweat almost immediately coming outside in the summertime. Even if you're used to the Heat and you like heat, you're still going to sweat really quickly. Not only that, but who likes living with cockroaches and spiders 24/7? At least in Arizona you might get an occasional spider or an occasional scorpion, but you're not going to have non-stop roaches in your house like florida.

As far as the politics, yeah I'm pretty sure that they're basically an illusion. Me and my friend talked about this quite a bit over the last year, we've both lived in a lot of cities and a lot of country areas and people are pretty much the same anywhere you go, it's just that either they are country type of people or they are City type of people, it seems to be one or the other.

For example, without getting too much into politics, you don't see too many schizophrenic people running around talking to themselves out on farms if you know what I mean. And you don't see tons of different color people out in the middle of the mountains most of the time. And vice versa, you don't see too many people wearing flannel shirts with big beards in the middle of the city, nor do you see many jacked up trucks covered in mud with rebel flags in the middle of a big city. But other than where the people live and what they do for activities and the type of people they hang out with on a normal basis, they're really not that much different. I think it's the surroundings that change the person, after they've lived somewhere for a while, they start to fit in usually.

Anyhow, I agree that country life is really nice. Sometimes I wish I was out in the middle of nowhere instead of in the middle of downtown, but I know that once I get out in the middle of the country for a few years, I would want something fun to do and I would want to go back to the city again. That's why I keep playing back and forth throughout my life, I always want something different after a couple years.

I guess the only thing that could actually keep me in one place for a long time is if I was lucky enough to have a multi-million dollar mansion on the top of a mountain, like if I had a 20,000 square foot luxury Sotheby's house at the top of the Rocky Mountains looking at some Scenic ranges. Problem with that, I don't have 20 million dollars or more.

I guess all we can do is make the best of the life we have, try to do what we're in the mood for, and go after the places we want to visit. Try to work the careers we want, try to get the cars we want, eat all the good food we can, and sleep as much as we possibly can.

It's good you're feeling better...

I still get derealization from time to time, but I think it's from being overwhelmed and stressed.

It's actually common with stress

It's been a stressful year.

Yeah, it will be years before I move to Arizona; definitely not anytime soon.

Yeah, we only get one life, as far as I know...

Lest there's a spiritual one, which I hope there is.

I say live and let live.

Eat, and just do the best we can.

Just take it easy, and keep stress down.