How to find a Subsitution Taper "Friendly" Doctor in Louisiana

[Ca...]

Hi,

I've been taking 4mg of Xanax for the last 2 yrs. I started w/2mg a day in the beginning and was upped shortly after. I began taking the medicine about 9mns after Hurricane Katrina and the stress of rebuilding our lives. Had I known the withdrawals were going to be so severe, I would have never introduced this poison into my system.  I went cold turkey during the week before Easter and after 2 wks, I began to hallucinate, severe tinnitus, basically all of the least common symptoms listed on your site. It was completely debilitating and I was nearing a seizure after experiencing 2 weeks of brain zaps.

I have gone to my general doctor who prescribed this to me and tried to show him the information from the Ashton Manual and he simply refused to read it. I'm also using natural supplements from Point of Return who also endorses the valium switch over to taper. I've looked into a compounding Rx, but the pharmacy's were unable to calculate the math properly and the cost of making the pills was outrageous and unaffordable. The valium switch over taper I feel is what is best for me.

But, valium seems to be a nasty word these days and I am unable to find a doctor who will help me.  My general dr. gave me an Rx for 2 mns, that was 2 weeks ago..which leaves me 6 weeks to figure this out.  I'm so afraid of the the withdrawals! I've had a few times where I had to wait a day or so for a refill and the onset of symptoms usually begins w/in 18hours beginning with blurred vision, pain in my eyes when looking back and forth and severe tinnitus. My fiance can tell that I have not taken my medicine merely by looking at me.

I don't know how to fix this problem and find a doctor who knows about this. I've been given a few names, but they are out of state and very far away. Does anyone know of an addiction psychiatrist familiar with the Ashton Manual in Louisiana?? Short of calling all the psychiatrists and speaking to a receptionist I am unable to find much on google.

If anyone has any information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for listening. ~PEACE~ Kellie

Hi CattEyez,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!! Have you taken a look at the 3 supported methods of benzo withdrawal? We have had many here directly taper off of Xanax. We recommend a 10% cut off your total dose every 7-14 days. If you chose to do a crossover to valium, the equivalency is 1mg xanax = 20mg valium. One of our previous members here kept a list of benzo friendly doctors, there is one in St. Charles, LA, his name is Dr. James Anderson. Please understand that we are not recommending him or have any direct knowledge of his practice. Let us know if we can help you further. You can do this!

T2 :smitten:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9522.msg121458#msg121458

Theresa2,

Yes, I have viewed many options and unfortunately, I'm at the point where the medication is barely sustaining me and beginning to have withdrawals even though I am still taking it. I've begun to take my 2 doses closer together so that I am able to sleep at night.  I believe the valium taper is the way for me. It will enable me to go at my own pace & even out the levels in my system since the valium has a longer half-life. It's really beginning to tax my nervous system and cognitive skills and I don't want to feel this way anymore.

For example, I'm pretty athletic and played softball with my cousins in summer 07 (a year after taking the xanax) and played just fine & only struck out at bat once when my boyfriend was watching. It didn't matter, bad pitch whatever, I could hit the ball and make contact. This summer, I only got on base twice, striking out all the rest of the other times....

That's why I so desperately want this to stop!! I'm constantly bumping into things, breaking glasses, tripping over my own feet...and walking around with scratches and bruises.  My fiance came home early yesterday on his way to the dentist and I didn't hear him come in the house. He scared the ever living shit out of me!! And I let out a blood curdling scream like from the movie Psycho and felt like I shaved a year off my life! He felt so bad about it, but that is what is going on with me.

So, since my GP said "This is out of his comfort level, I've never prescribed this much Valium" after asking for the Valium taper, but that's how much your prescribing me in xanax, I told him..what am I supposed to do? and where do I go? I feel like a pill head who is dr. shopping, but I'm not doing it to continue, I only want it to stop. :'(

Theresa2,

I just got off the phone with Dr. Anderson's office in Lake Charles, LA. I spoke with Margaret and she was very understanding and scheduled an appointment for next week.  She was familiar with my situation and said the dr. had done it many times before. My ears were in disbelief! :idiot:  I kept asking her "Are you sure he will do the conversion to valium?" and she reassured me that they had done it with people who had been taking more xanax a day than I do. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for the name and the referral.  I'm driving to the other side of the state because that is how badly I want to get this done. I will keep you updated on how it goes. Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for responding. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Kellie

Theresa2,

I just got off the phone with Dr. Anderson's office in Lake Charles, LA. I spoke with Margaret and she was very understanding and scheduled an appointment for next week.  She was familiar with my situation and said the dr. had done it many times before. My ears were in disbelief! :idiot:  I kept asking her "Are you sure he will do the conversion to valium?" and she reassured me that they had done it with people who had been taking more xanax a day than I do. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for the name and the referral.  I'm driving to the other side of the state because that is how badly I want to get this done. I will keep you updated on how it goes. Again, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for responding. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Kellie

Hi Kellie,

I'm so glad you found someone that will work with you for the crossover! I wish you much success! Let us know how things go!

T2 :smitten:

Kellie -

Welcome and just wanted let you have found a great place!  So happy that you found a cooperative doctor!  I was a Xanax guy, so I can relate to your situation.  A cross to valium may make this much easier for you.  I tapered off Xanax directly and did pretty well - so the Valium should be pretty comfortable for you.  Just take your time and plan your taper and you should do great.  Let us know how it is going - we will be keeping tabs on you!  Be well and good luck!

Keith

• 3 months later...

You didn't say what part of Louisiana.  I'm originally from New Iberia and know people in several areas.  Maybe I could see what I could find out?  I wouldn't mind a bit.  My best friend is an RN in Lafayette (Youngsville actually) and she knows alot of Drs as well.

Ooops    ...  I just read the rest of your post and see you found someone in Lake Charles.  I'm not far from there.  If you find someone good I may use him if the Dr i'm supposed to see on Feb 2nd doesn't work out!  I'm going to be seeing a psychiatrist in Beaumont.  I'm hoping he's agreeable to wean "the right way"!

Good luck to you!!  You're in the right place if you want to be with buddies who care!    :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, as it turns out Dr. Anderson decided to put me on Klonopin!! >:( And now 6 mns later he's tried to up the dose and refuses to convert me to to valium.  After 6mns on 4 mg of Klonopin I feel worse than ever!!! I'm depressed, lethargic, and simply don't want to do the things I used to enjoy.  I am now awaiting a call back from his office, but I'm afraid that he is not going to assist me with the valium taper as he believes the conversion ratio is too high!

I was able to "obtain" some valium and followed the conversion ratio. My first try was yesterday and this morning I woke up feeling more energetic, not hating the world and just overall better about myself.  When I called Dr. Anderson's office to inform him of my "experiment" he was furious and basically told me to seek help elsewhere.

Aside from going to Mexico and removing the ignorant doctors who refuse to believe the valium conversion taper, does anyone know anyone in Louisiana?? I can go North, South, whatever....I actually travelled across the state to Lake Charles to see Dr. Anderson....what a waste of time. Now I've got an Rx of Klonopin that totally SUCKS!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hi Cat,

Many if not most doctors in the US do not like to prescribe valium. My doc wouldn't cross me. He said he usually crosses people to klonopin for the purposes of tapering. Have you tried tapering directly from klon?

Honestly, I'm glad now that I tapered directly from klon. It saved me time, and possibly extra problems.

It's quite doable.

It helps if you have the smallest dose pill, 0.5mg. You can quarter them and reduce by 0.125mg every couple of weeks. Many have done this. If you have larger pills, we can help you with a liquid titration, which allows you to make much smaller cuts.

Let us know what size pill you have.