I Think I Am Going To Go Back On Ativan

[mi...]

I Started With Ativan In 2002 I Will End It

I Really Hate Klonopin..

My Doctor Said It's Easy to Off Klonopin Is That True

Mikey,

If you are asking if it is easy to just quit taking Klonopin at the level you are on at 1.5mg after long term use....I would say the answer is no..in fact if you are considering just stopping the medication, you could run into several problems...including extreme withdrawal and possible seizures.  It is tough enough to taper this stuff and deal with the symptoms, a cold turkey can shock our central nervious system and made lead to a long period of withdrawal.

If you are thinking of switching from Klonopin to Ativan....because you think it might work better...that is something you and your doctor will have to discuss and hopefully come up with a good plan.....

Hang in there Mikey...I know this is no fun....we are all pulling for you...

TC

Mikey,

If you are asking if it is easy to just quit taking Klonopin at the level you are on at 1.5mg after long term use....I would say the answer is no..in fact if you are considering just stopping the medication, you could run into several problems...including extreme withdrawal and possible seizures.  It is tough enough to taper this stuff and deal with the symptoms, a cold turkey can shock our central nervious system and made lead to a long period of withdrawal.

If you are thinking of switching from Klonopin to Ativan....because you think it might work better...that is something you and your doctor will have to discuss and hopefully come up with a good plan.....

Hang in there Mikey...I know this is no fun....we are all pulling for you...

TC

there is  no way i'm going c/t i am would never do that, i am only thinking about ativan... but i maybe stay with klonopin even though i am tired of benzo's i want off but slow pace i will talk to my doctor to me the 0.5mg so i start tapering  to 1.325 then water titration with eljay help and your help if you can help me with the water TC april 9 i will get the 0.5

Mikey, water titration can be kind of complicated sometimes. It might be best for you to just work on coming off klonopin directly by cutting your pills, once you get your 0.5mg pills.

You've requested the titration several times, and each time we ask you for the details we need to make you a schedule, you have been unable to do so.

Why don't you continue on your direct taper by cutting your pills, when you get the 0.5mg pills. I think you will be able to do that. One of us will be very happy to explain how to do it every step of the way. Let us know when you get them, ok?

Mikey

Both ativan and klonopin are shorter acting drugs.

For people addicted to these Heather Ashton suggests a gradual crossover from the short acting drug to valium. This is because of the long acting valium is easier to taper from with no interdose withdrawal symptoms.

I am not an expert on making schedules, but if you ask a moderator to make out a gradual crossover to valium for you, when stable, you can then begin to taper off valium with no interdose withdrawal symptoms.

Another solution might be the Ashton method for substitution/tapering. I was on .5mg Klonopin (up from .25mg daily) at the end of 2008, when I realized I was having major dificulties with the Benzos I was taking. I don't want to steer Mikey wrong, I just know that in my own case, I could not have done well tapering from the Klonopin directly because I had already developed a serious tolerance withdrawl and I was actually starting to need .75mg just to keep the 'nerve-attacks' from coming on. After I discovered and used the Ashton method, I felt much more comfortable tapering from the Valium. I do realize that there are disadvantages to this method, and it is not for everyone. Mostly, the feedback I've gotten from other members about this method involve concerns about the depression that Valium can cause. In my case, I simply reduced the recommended dosage conversions listed in Ashton's table and I stabilized. 6.5mg Valium daily for me was simply too much!!

Hope this info helps. Perhaps, Mikey, you can just taper from the Klonopin, and if you can, all power to you!!! :thumbsup:

Take care,

pangelingua

Hey journey, looks like we were both on the same track at the same time!!!

You must have posted this just before mine went through!!

I do recommend that anyone who uses the Ashton method to make a hardcopy of it and study the 'withdrawl symptoms and how to cope with them' as well as the taper schedules. I also kept a daily journal of all the dosages I took each day so that I could keep track of them. I started this in Jan 2009 and my last entry was Feb 16 2010. Benzo free!!! ;D

Take care Mikey, and if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help you.

Hi,

Klonopin, though not as long acting as Valium, still has a fairly long half life. Once he gets the smaller dose pills, I believe Mikey will do ok with that taper. I and many others have done well on a direct klonopin taper using 0.5mg pills. If it gets too difficult on the lower doses, we can offer a very simple way of titrating, with no schedule involved.

Another thing, Valium tends to have a depressing effect in some sensitive individuals.  

Of course this is all Mikey's decision. I just think it's best not to over-complicate things in this case.    ;)

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Eljay, how I wish I had had the support of a forum back when I was having problems with Klonopin!! I was never aware of 'titration' until I joined. Perhaps my best advise right now would be towards those members who have already crossed over using Ashton's method and offer them reassurance as they continue to taper down. I agree the less complicated, the better!!

Mikey

Both ativan and klonopin are shorter acting drugs.

For people addicted to these Heather Ashton suggests a gradual crossover from the short acting drug to valium. This is because of the long acting valium is easier to taper from with no interdose withdrawal symptoms.

I am not an expert on making schedules, but if you ask a moderator to make out a gradual crossover to valium for you, when stable, you can then begin to taper off valium with no interdose withdrawal symptoms.

Journey,

Klonopin has a pretty long half life.  It is not considered short acting.  Mikey has switched from Xanax to Klonopin for an easier taper.  I agree with you about the switch back to Ativan, that drug has a pretty short half life and can be very difficult to taper off of directly.  I am not sure if Mikey has considered the crossover, I know in many areas (including where I live) the doctors simply won't prescribe Valium.  I ran into that problem when I explored the crossover idea, and I was stunned when they told me they don't prescribe valium because "it is too addicting"...crazy stuff, but true. :)

TC