Alprazolam/Diazepam sub. taper plan

[ka...]

I've convinced my GP to switch me to a substitution taper plan as straight xanax reductions were becoming too difficult.

I'm currently at "stage 1" taking 2mg alprazolam and 10mg diazepam daily (ie 50mg diazepam equivalent).

Is it better to substitue the alprazolam for diazepam faster or slower ? I've come up with 2 alternatives based on the Ashton manual. The first one aims at reducing the alprazolam faster, the second alternative keeps the xanax in until i reach .25 mg.

The dosages would be spread throughout the day, but i've listed the total daily dose for brevity.

I would think the second option better considering I've been on xanax for over 5 years, but I'd really appreciate any personal experience as well as any medical opinions..

Alternative 1

Stage 2

1.5mg alprazolam + 20mg diazepam

Stage 3

1mg alprazolam + 30mg diazepam

Stage 4

.5mg alprazolam + 30mg diazepam

Stage 5

.25mg alprazolam + 30mg diazepam

Stage 6

30mg diazepam

Alternative 2

Stage 2

1.75mg alprazolam + 10mg diazepam

Stage 3

1.5mg alprazolam + 15mg diazepam

Stage 4

1mg alprazolam + 20mg diazepam

Stage 5

.75mg alprazolam + 25mg diazepam

Stage 6

.5mg alprazolam + 25mg diazepam

Stage 7

.25mg alprazolam + 25mg diazepam

Stage 8

30mg diazepam

Hi Kapten!

I don't have any personal experience, but I would go with your instinct and use the 2nd option, as long as you will have an adequate supply for your whole taper, which it sounds like you will. It's not a race!

If you are feeling fine after a few switches, you may find you can speed it up a bit.

I received a reply on another forum stating:

1. That Alternative 1 is best because "the issue is to safely crossover from a short acting benzo to a long acting benzo to assist the tapering process."

2. At stage 2 of Alternative 2, I shouldn't have reduced by 0.25mg Xanax without a valium dose (5mg) to replace it.

But I've already been tapering every month for some time now, so I would have thought I should continue reducing where comfortable.

Thoughts ??

I received a reply on another forum stating:

1. That Alternative 1 is best because "the issue is to safely crossover from a short acting benzo to a long acting benzo to assist the tapering process."

2. At stage 2 of Alternative 2, I shouldn't have reduced by 0.25mg Xanax without a valium dose (5mg) to replace it.

But I've already been tapering every month for some time now, so I would have thought I should continue reducing where comfortable.

Thoughts ??

I think you (and eljay) are right.  Also, you will find that you get different opinions from different people and even more so if you are on multiple benzo forums.  It can cause  lot of unnecessary anxiety and I left my 2 other benzo forums once I got going on my taper plan.  Just a thought.