Crossing over to valium - dosing question

[Da...]

Because I've always taken the Ativan and Ambien at night......I'm nervous about the cross over schedule which shows dosing three times a day.  After taking a .5 mg. of Ativan this afternoon......I don't feel I can drive.  So.......the concern is how functional will I be taking any medication in the morning. 

I was wondering if it would make a big difference to split the doses twice........early afternoon and evening. 

Although I know many people have taken Ativan in two or three doses......I always wanted the sedating effect in the evening.

If I have to take the med in the morning......I'm assuming I might be able to grocery shop before it kicks in. 

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Dr. Peart and Prof. Ashton both show the dosing three times a day.  I just wondered if anyone else tried something different during a cross over to valium.

Cheryl

I did read in the Ashton study, I believe, that due to the long life of valium, the need to have multiple dosage times is less than shorter acting meds like Ativan.

I have a question about crossover.  Some charts (more) show the equiv. of Ativan to Valium to be 10 to 1.  Others show it to be 5 to 1.  Big difference!

Because I've always taken the Ativan and Ambien at night......I'm nervous about the cross over schedule which shows dosing three times a day.  After taking a .5 mg. of Ativan this afternoon......I don't feel I can drive.  So.......the concern is how functional will I be taking any medication in the morning. 

I was wondering if it would make a big difference to split the doses twice........early afternoon and evening. 

Although I know many people have taken Ativan in two or three doses......I always wanted the sedating effect in the evening.

If I have to take the med in the morning......I'm assuming I might be able to grocery shop before it kicks in. 

Any advice on this will be appreciated.

Dr. Peart and Prof. Ashton both show the dosing three times a day.  I just wondered if anyone else tried something different during a cross over to valium.

Cheryl

Those charts are just examples, Cheryl.  If you are doing well taking all your meds at bedtime, you could continue to do so and just start substituting valium for a portion of either your ativan or ambien dose, hold a week or so, and then continue substituting like that until you are only on valium.  Probably shouldn't take more than 3-4 weeks if that.  Then you can start tapering the valium after you feel pretty stable on all valium.  Does that make sense?

Beeper,

Thanks for your reply.........and it does make sense.  I was actually thinking of just splitting the doses into two.........afternoon and evening.  However........since I've always taken everything at night.........would be better for me to stay that way.  The valium would eventually be worked in as the other two are decreased. 

Cheryl

Beeper,

Thanks for your reply.........and it does make sense.  I was actually thinking of just splitting the doses into two.........afternoon and evening.  However........since I've always taken everything at night.........would be better for me to stay that way.  The valium would eventually be worked in as the other two are decreased. 

Cheryl

I think that's what I'd do, C.  That way I'm only changing the benzos without adding in the variable of changing dosing times.  You could always divide up the dose later if taking it all at night doesn't seem to be working out as you hoped.