Preparing for the Ativan & Ambien taper......

[Da...]

Since I am finally visiting the Dr. tomorrow to discuss a slower taper plan, I wanted to be sure I'm clear about the crossover to valium.

I found a schedule by Dr. Pert which shows both Ativan and Ambien can be switched to valium.  He uses 1 mg. of Ativan = 10 mg. valium and then 10 mg. ambien = 5 mg. valium.  Since I'm taking 1.5 mg of Ativan, I would assume I would then switch to 20 mg. of valium.  His schedule shows the crossover in about 13 days although I think Dr. Ashton's is slower.

I'm still not sure he'll approve this, but it would give me a chance to get rid of both drugs at the same time.

Any comments or feedback with this proposed plan will be appreciated.  And......thanks to all who have been so supportive during my time on the forum these past weeks. 

Cheryl

Hi DG,

So would you round off the valium from your ambien cross over to 5mg or 2.5mg?

Technically it would be 0.375mg, but I think rounding it up or down would be ok, especially since you will be on another 2mg. Ashton suggests that 15mg ambien equals 10mg valium, but there are differing opinions and individual responses, so what Reg Pert suggests would be ok. 

Normally we suggest tapering one benzo at a time, but this is do-able too. It looks ok, though just slightly fast.

I agree that it's supposed to be one benzo at a time.  However......I've been worried about tapering off Ativan and still taking Ambien.  Since ambien also affects the gaba receptors........I wasn't sure how the healing would happen during the Ativan taper.  I would round off the valium from ambien to 5 mg. which is what Dr. Pert's schedule shows.  However, I think the crossover should be slower than what he suggests.  I will look at the Ashton schedule again and might be able to modify it to fit both meds. 

Thanks for the response.......will see what the Dr. has to say.  I would be starting at 20 mg. valium and then do a slow taper from there.  The plus side of it would be getting rid of both drugs and allowing the gaba receptors to heal properly. 

Cheryl

I'm happy to say that my awesome Doctor loved the idea of crossing to valium and we have a good plan.  I will start the cross on Jan. 31st.  We modified what Dr. Peart had in his schedule to make it 36 days instead of 13.  Then......will hold on the valium for a month before beginning the slow taper. 

I'm not sure what will happen to sleep as I give up the ambien and then the sedative effect of the valium wears off.......but getting rid of both ativan and ambien will be a blessing the long run.

This is what I showed my Dr. this morning.......the schedule from Dr. Peart......

http://www.drregpeart.org/Dr%20Peart%20Sample%20Schedules%20with%20Notes%2022Sep06.pdf

He has almost the perfect example for Ativan and ambien.......just have to change the 1 mg. to 1.5.

Now......will see how it goes.

Cheryl