Suitable substitution for xanax taper plan

[ka...]

I have been a long term benzo (mainly xanax) user (for over 7 years now). My maintenance dose back then was 12mg per day.

My first Dr put me on a speed up version of the  Professor C Heather Ashton Valium taper program, which failed miserably as I went into a very bad spiral and lost complete control of myself and the world around me - including friends,my driving licence, my job etc etc.

Valium was just not a suitable substitute - it made be agorophobic.

My new Dr has slowly been weaning me off xanax for over a year. I am not on 2.5 mg per day, however things are starting to feel very hard for me between each dose. It's alsomst like a mini-withdrawal due to the short half life of alprazolam

I have already tried valium,lorazepam and oxazepam without any benefit.

Clonazepam (klonopin) sounds promising as it is longer acting but similar in strength, but the differences in persoanal reports makes me wonder if the effects are truly similar. Xanax only helps me because of the sort of cosy feeling that negates my anxiety.

I would appreciate any first hand experience on a more suitable benzo as well as medical advice.

Hi kapten,

You received a couple of replies to your original post, here's the link in case you missed them.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=16689.msg261594#msg261594

Since Xanax and Klonopin are similar in strength, you shouldn't have much problem crossing over.  Ladyh48 did this, here's a link to her taper plan, it might give you an idea of where to start. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13123.0

Keep in mind that a benzo is a benzo and you're going to be uncomfortable if you're withdrawing from them.  We'll be here to support you no matter what you decide to do.

Pam

I have been a long term benzo (mainly xanax) user (for over 7 years now). My maintenance dose back then was 12mg per day.

My first Dr put me on a speed up version of the  Professor C Heather Ashton Valium taper program, which failed miserably as I went into a very bad spiral and lost complete control of myself and the world around me - including friends,my driving licence, my job etc etc.

Valium was just not a suitable substitute - it made be agorophobic.

My new Dr has slowly been weaning me off xanax for over a year. I am not on 2.5 mg per day, however things are starting to feel very hard for me between each dose. It's alsomst like a mini-withdrawal due to the short half life of alprazolam

I have already tried valium,lorazepam and oxazepam without any benefit.

Clonazepam (klonopin) sounds promising as it is longer acting but similar in strength, but the differences in persoanal reports makes me wonder if the effects are truly similar. Xanax only helps me because of the sort of cosy feeling that negates my anxiety.

I would appreciate any first hand experience on a more suitable benzo as well as medical advice.

Hi, kapten.  :)

I did a direct taper from ativan/lorazepam which is only slightly longer-acting than xanax.  It wasn't easy but it was doable.  I wonder if you have given any thought to titrating off the xanax rather than trying another substitution.  In my opinion, changing benzos is pretty much a crap shoot whereas titration allows for a nice, slow taper to freedom.  If you need more information about titration, just ask.  :thumbsup: