Having problems switching from Xanax to Valium

[jb...]

I am Having problems switching from Xanax to Valium and need a little bit of help.

I have been on Xanax anyware from 1-4mg per day, for the last 2 years. I suffer from panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, very mild depression and fibromyalgia.

I cannot tolerate SSRI, Buspar, tryclic antidepressants, etc. , so for now I am stuck with benzos. >:(

Due to my fibromyalgia my pdoc and my ruematoligst and I thought that switching to Valium with its muscle relaxant properties would help, and it has improved my fibromyalgia systems drastically. Also the xanax is not effective on my generalized anxiety anymore, and I don’t want to be on benzo for ever so switching to Valium makes sense for several reasons!!!

However I am having some xanax withdraw issues, even though my Pdoc said it should not be an issue, which surprises me because he is a great pdoc and published author, and so on. I just feel he is frustrated with me because of my intolerance to SSRI, Buspar, tryclic antidepressants, etc. Every so often I have to remind him that I did not choose to have this panic disorder and other problems. Pdoc gave me a script for 5mg Valium up to 3 times a day (90 pills total, no refills). And he Canceled my refills of Xananx (.5mg 120 pills per month).

So I started taking the 5mg Valium. I get ok results for the morning dose, then I get some xanax withdraw side effects a few hours later (I think that is what is going on), so unfortunately I have to take a half of a .5 mg xanax, and WOW like magic I feel Better in 10 minutes., Amazing!!! LOL

I think I know enough about benzos to see what is happening here, Am I right that a I am experiencing some sort of xananx withdraw??

If so does anyone have any advice on how to make this transaction form xanax to valium any smoother?

I have read the Ashton method and would like to do it quicker than 3 weeks, but I will do what I have to.

FYI ….In addition to my new script of (90) 5mg Valium I also have a stash of (60) 10mg of Valium and about (90) of .5mg xanax. This might help in my transaction form xanax to valium, Right?

Please help me if you can. Thanks

Hello jbforpc, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

According the the Ashton Manual, .5 mg of Xanax is equivalent to 10 mg of Valium.  If your dose of Xanax was between 1 and 4 mg a day, it's difficult to tell how many milligrams of Valium you actually need to do a smooth crossover.  It's very important that no matter what dose you're on, you remain consistent. 

If I may, I'd like to suggest that some of the issues you've been facing while on the Xanax may be the result of a tolerance to it.  After a time our bodies become tolerant to our current dose, when this happens we actually begin to experience withdrawals while still on it.  The only thing to do is to continually increase the drug or taper off of it.  The manufactures of benzo's only suggest being on them for 2 to 4 weeks. 

I've seen in my time here that many people diagnosed with fibromyalgia did not in fact have that, they were instead experiencing withdrawal symptoms from the benzo.  Just throwing that out there for you to consider.

Have you read the Ashton Manual, it contains a lot of information you may find interesting.  It will also show you the equivalency table for your crossover.http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Again, welcome.

Pam

I am Having problems switching from Xanax to Valium and need a little bit of help.

I have been on Xanax anyware from 1-4mg per day, for the last 2 years. I suffer from panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, very mild depression and fibromyalgia.

I cannot tolerate SSRI, Buspar, tryclic antidepressants, etc. , so for now I am stuck with benzos. >:(

Due to my fibromyalgia my pdoc and my ruematoligst and I thought that switching to Valium with its muscle relaxant properties would help, and it has improved my fibromyalgia systems drastically. Also the xanax is not effective on my generalized anxiety anymore, and I don’t want to be on benzo for ever so switching to Valium makes sense for several reasons!!!

However I am having some xanax withdraw issues, even though my Pdoc said it should not be an issue, which surprises me because he is a great pdoc and published author, and so on. I just feel he is frustrated with me because of my intolerance to SSRI, Buspar, tryclic antidepressants, etc. Every so often I have to remind him that I did not choose to have this panic disorder and other problems. Pdoc gave me a script for 5mg Valium up to 3 times a day (90 pills total, no refills). And he Canceled my refills of Xananx (.5mg 120 pills per month).

So I started taking the 5mg Valium. I get ok results for the morning dose, then I get some xanax withdraw side effects a few hours later (I think that is what is going on), so unfortunately I have to take a half of a .5 mg xanax, and WOW like magic I feel Better in 10 minutes., Amazing!!! LOL

I think I know enough about benzos to see what is happening here, Am I right that a I am experiencing some sort of xananx withdraw??

If so does anyone have any advice on how to make this transaction form xanax to valium any smoother?

I have read the Ashton method and would like to do it quicker than 3 weeks, but I will do what I have to.

FYI ….In addition to my new script of (90) 5mg Valium I also have a stash of (60) 10mg of Valium and about (90) of .5mg xanax. This might help in my transaction form xanax to valium, Right?

Please help me if you can. Thanks

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, jbforpc.  ;D

Since you are familiar with the Ashton Method, you know that she crossed her patients over to valium a little at a time.  Valium takes quite a while to build up in your blood while the xanax is clearing out fast so you are bound to feel w/d symptoms for a while simply stopping the xanax and starting valium even if you are taking the theoretically equivalent dosage of valium.  If you could tell us how much xanax you took over the last week and when you took it, ( eg, .5mg 3x/day), we could help you develop a crossover schedule using some of your remaining xanax.  Or, if you want to just stay on the valium and hang on until the blood levels build up (4-5 days?), it would help to know how much xanax you were taking on a consistent basis before you stopped the xanax and started the 5mg valium.

ps  My pdocs, and there were several, got frustrated with me because nothing they prescribed lifted my depression or relieved the fatigue and brain fog I felt.  Getting clean of benzos made all that possible.  :thumbsup:

Let’s start with a little history of my illnesses. I have had panic disorder, general anxiety, ADD, mild depression, and Fibromyalgia way before I started taking any xanax or benzos.

For years I made several trips to emergancy rooms with horrible terrifying symptoms, to be told nothing was wrong. I had no health insurance so I lived with the torment of panic and anxiety. I lost jobs, friends, relationships, and quality of life due to panic attacks, etc. Once I married my wife, I was lucky that she had great insurance and was able to finally get correct and accurate diagnosis of my problems.

So with the diagnosis came treatment, counseling, and medication. The first round of meds( Benzos where not prescribed first), The SSRI's ,buspar and other types of antidepressants , Unfortunately after several months did not help any of my symptoms. It was a waste of my life, time and money.

Then the docs played the Xanax card, and presto...I was able to function. Let’s get one thing straight… I never abused my meds, nor did I ever con my docs into more pills, stronger doses,  or anything like that. I have a serious panic disorder, and unfortunately Benzos are a necessary evil. I am fully aware of the pitfalls of benzos. I get real upset with people that abuse the system and the drugs they don’t need. They make it bad for the cases like mine.

To answer some of your questions I was taking .5mg to 1mg  of xanax 3-4 times depending on level of anxiety, panic attacks, etc., that day. Most often an AM pill and PM. The rest where just on an as needed basis, no rhyme or reason, just when I absolutely needed them. I am not a pill popper and sometimes I would go without taking a dose just so I did not end up a xanax zombie.

Maybe I posted my request for help on the wrong website. I sense that my special case for benzo use is misunderstood here. I thought with your experinces with benzos somone might be able to shed some light on a smooth transaction from xanax to valuim.

I Do appreciate all of your help and will do the Ashton method to switch from xanax to valium. It will be a struggle but I can do it. I do plan on being benzo free someday; hopefully I will find a solution soon. When I am Benzo free I will defiantly revisit this site and tell my story so maybe I can help someone else like me.

Thanks,

JBFORPC

Hello jbforpc,

Please understand, we don't think you abused the Xanax, very few folks who end up here did.  And while we know that benzo's have a legitimate use for those who suffer, we've seen too many take them only to find they're worse off than they were before.

I'm glad the Xanax has worked for you and given you a life worth living, what you had before breaks my heart.

You're welcome here no matter what your circumstances are, I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot.  If we can help you in any way, we'd like that opportunity. 

Pam

Hi jbforpc,

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding, you are definately in the right place for help with benzo's, i just wanted to establish how many pills you have left of each and is that the total amount you have to taper with?

I hope you decide to stay with us...

love lynn xx  :smitten:

JB  like pam said , we are not here to chastise anyone,  just to support them thru their taper off of benzo's .  As long as your ultimate goal is to get off the xanax or the valium, we will support you as best we can. 

You indicated you take from 1 to 4 mg.  of xanax a day , or did, and are trying to cross over.  In Valium equivilence you  would need to take from 10 to 40 mg to equal  the same benzo effect you get from the xanax. 

Also if you read the ashton manual, you will  see how much greater the half life is of the valium vs the xanax , so  once in place it should give you the same results taking the valium 1 time or 2 times a day that you were getting from the xanax if you were to take that 4 times per day.

Everyone is different as to how they respond to the drug.  and how long the crossover is  to take effect. 

Just try to do the same doseing every day till you  stabilize, so your body knows what to expect every day,  then if your ready , try to taper from there.

Getting very fustrated with my pdoc, called him and told him about the problems I am having switching over to Valium from xanax. He says that they are the same and just take the valium, no crosstaper is needed. I told him about the Ashton Method and he wanted nothing to do with that!!!!!!!

I cant sleep and have some xanax withdraw symptoms.

This is getting old fast!

I'm so sorry to hear that you're Dr is unwilling to cross you over at a good rate.  I don't understand his reluctance to ensure you have an adequate amount of the medication?  Too often we've seen some in the medical community with little knowledge when it comes to benzo's.

You mentioned you still have some Xanax, have you been taking them in addition to the Valium as suggested in the Ashton Manual?  I hate to see you suffer with symptoms, once you body starts withdrawing, it's hard to get it stable again.

I have called my pdoc yet agian and he still refuses to put me on a crossover taper. The only thing he will "allow me" to do is take an extra 5 mg of valium once a day. He gave me 5mg x3 per day total of 90. I dont know what I have to do to convince him that I am having withdraws from the xanax.

I was on xanax anyware from 1 to 4 mg depending on panic attacks and anxeity of that given day.  Like some of you said that is probaly why I am having some issues because I did not have a regular daily dose for example of lets say .5 mg xanax 3x per day.

I am currently doing the first step of my own personalized cross taper plan of .25mg xanax and 10mg valium  3x per day. I only once so far had to take 15mg instead of the 10mg of valium due to a bad panic attack. I am still having withdraws from the xanax, but I have not took more than .25mg xanax and I always take it with my .25mg xanax and 10mg valium  3x per day plan, I have been tempted, but I know taking more xanax would just make things worse in the long run.

My plan is to try next week to go to .12mg xanax and 10mg valium 3x day. Then the next week .12mg xanax x2 per day and 10mg valium 3xday, then the next week .12mg xanax 1x per day and 10mg valium 3x day. Then just the 10mg Valium 3 x per day. If that dose will control my panic disorder and anxitey I dont know. I dont know if my pdoc will even let me have 10mg valium. I dont even know if my own personalized cross taper plan will work, etc. I do know that I will run out of valium before I can get a refill. I dont know if my pdoc will even let me have 10mg valium.

I am overall doing a better than I was a few days ago, but far from feeling good. Insomnia is worse than normal. Anxitey is still high at time, and my ADD getting worse, as if that was possiable, LOL

I trully am scared.

I dont want to go to the hospital and be ammited just to take care of this, something my pdoc could do on an out patinet basis.

I have lost trust and respect for my pdoc, but am terrified if I went to a differnt pdoc would I get worse care?

My plan is to try next week to go to .12mg xanax and 10mg valium 3x day. Then the next week .12mg xanax x2 per day and 10mg valium 3xday, then the next week .12mg xanax 1x per day and 10mg valium 3x day. Then just the 10mg Valium 3 x per day. If that dose will control my panic disorder and anxitey I dont know. I dont know if my pdoc will even let me have 10mg valium. I dont even know if my own personalized cross taper plan will work, etc. I do know that I will run out of valium before I can get a refill. I dont know if my pdoc will even let me have 10mg valium.

Jb your above plan seems to be solid if you can get your doctor , or a doctor to get you enough of the valium to go forth

Your actual equivilence in valium for .12 xanax is approx 2.6 mg of valium,  so you would start out taking the equivilent of 12.6 mg of valium 3 times per day. 

Hope ;you get a doc to agree and prescribe the drugs for you to put your plan in place.

St.

Would you consider going to see a General Practitioner to see if he would be willing to give you an adequate prescription of Valium so you can do a better crossover?  I just don't understand why your Pdoc is unwilling to give you a good crossover, the crossover information from one benzodiazepine to another is widely published.  He is after all; comfortable with you continuing to take a benzo, not sure why he's making you suffer needlessly.

[da...]

jpforpc-

any update on the c/o? I was able to do a direct c/o from 1mg- 1.5mg Xanax to 10mg V am & pm and have started my taper (see siggly line). I only had a one day cheat with Xanax and that was with a .25mg Xanax at 6:30pm on 9/26/09...I started my direct c/o on 9/25/09 at 10:00pm.....a crossover it doable....let us know if you need anything, kay?

Just Breathe

after a trip to the ER (no sleep for 5 days will drive you nuts and to the ER), My pdoc said I could cross tapper for as long as I needed. He does rounds at that hospital and I think it made him look bad.

I am still at .125 xanax but have cut the valium down to 5 mg. At first I needed at least 10mg valium...but once it is in your system for 2 weeks I found out that 5mg is ok.

Insomnia is gone  and so is withdraw symptoms....I just need to keep tappering.

My general anxitey is way down with the valim.

I do however have panic attacks ( I do have panic disorder, ya know) and need something fast acting and short lived. I have been taking an additional .25 xanax for accute panic attacks 2-3 times per week so far. I dont know if that is ok since I want to get off xanax completly. I dont know If my pdoc will stick with the xanax as needed once I am off it completly, or if he will give me an alternitive to xanax, if thier is one.

Any sugestions on this?

[da...]

after a trip to the ER (no sleep for 5 days will drive you nuts and to the ER), My pdoc said I could cross tapper for as long as I needed. He does rounds at that hospital and I think it made him look bad.

I am still at .125 xanax but have cut the valium down to 5 mg. At first I needed at least 10mg valium...but once it is in your system for 2 weeks I found out that 5mg is ok.

Insomnia is gone  and so is withdraw symptoms....I just need to keep tappering.

My general anxitey is way down with the valim.

I do however have panic attacks ( I do have panic disorder, ya know) and need something fast acting and short lived. I have been taking an additional .25 xanax for accute panic attacks 2-3 times per week so far. I dont know if that is ok since I want to get off xanax completly. I dont know If my pdoc will stick with the xanax as needed once I am off it completly, or if he will give me an alternitive to xanax, if thier is one.

Any sugestions on this?

Hi- I have GAD/PA and anxiety attacks too ;) Can you reply back to me with what amounts of what medications you are taking and at what times so I or someone else can give you a better answer? I'd really appreciate it.

Just Breathe

I'm not really clear what you're asking for, let me know if I'm understanding you.  Your Dr has agreed to give you enough medication to taper safely from the Xanax to the Valium, then you want to taper from that correct?  If this is the case then you're a perfect candidate for the Ashton Method, schedules I and II.  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm

If I understand correctly you wish to still use a short acting benzo for your panic attacks after your withdrawal from another benzo.  If you still intend to use a benzo for panic attacks why taper from the benzo to begin with?  I feel your goal should be to get off of the Xanax and the Valium and try to find natural methods for dealing with your panic.  Benzo's are only intended to be used for a short time, 2 to 4 weeks. 

I don't know if you're aware but when the benzo ceases to be effective it actually causes anxiety and panic.  So, by continuing to take the drug you could be inducing your problems. 

I feel the only way to know if you truly need the Valium or the Xanax is to taper off and heal. 

dear pamster

Like I have said before.....I have severe PANIC disorder, and Generalized anxitey, so bad that the US goverment says I am disabled, for them to say that is a statment in its self, they deny pepole with no legs or arms disaibilty.

FYI I have tried everything under the sun besides benz0s and antidepresents including your "natural methods for dealing with your panic" CBT, therpy, ETC, ETC.,

I know benzos are bad, but so is freaking out from severe PANIC attacks, constant anxeity..... I wish you could walk a mile in my shoes...its not a pleasnt journey, benzos or not!!!

My reason for switching to valium wasnt to be benzo free, that is why I dont like this website. However I do wish to be benzo free someday. I did not choose mental illness nor did I chose that certian drugs or "natural methods for dealing with my panic" did not work for me.

[da...]

dear pamster

Like I have said before.....I have severe PANIC disorder, and Generalized anxitey, so bad that the US goverment says I am disabled, for them to say that is a statment in its self, they deny pepole with no legs or arms disaibilty.

FYI I have tried everything under the sun besides benz0s and antidepresents including your "natural methods for dealing with your panic" CBT, therpy, ETC, ETC.,

I know benzos are bad, but so is freaking out from severe PANIC attacks, constant anxeity..... I wish you could walk a mile in my shoes...its not a pleasnt journey, benzos or not!!!

My reason for switching to valium wasnt to be benzo free, that is why I dont like this website. However I do wish to be benzo free someday. I did not choose mental illness nor did I chose that certian drugs or "natural methods for dealing with my panic" did not work for me.

Hi- I just wanted to share that I too suffered from severe panic attacks and anxiety...I had a P/A so bad once the I paralyzed the right side of my body; I hyperventilated :o I understand the pain of this disorder....I had my first P/A that I remember at age 13, I am now 41.

I was taking Xanax PRN from 2002-2004 and then daily 2004-2009. I did a direct C/O from 1mg- 1.5mg Xanax(started the night of 9/25/09) to 10mg Valium am & pm and then started my taper. I only had one cheat day with Xanax and that was @ 6:30pm on Saturday 9/26/09...haven't touched a Xanax since.

Since you still feel the need for a benzo, can you follow the Ashton Manual on the crossover portion from Xanax to Valium (in the equivalencies you take?).

No one is here to judge you....the idea of getting C/O completed is that the end result will be that you are only on one Benzo.

Can I help you with anything else?

Just Breathe :smitten:

p.s. I think the main problem you had was that your doctor did not give you the correct equivalencies to C/O from   1mg Xanax or Klonopin = 20mg Valium would explain the interdose w/d you were feeling

p.s.s. if your siggy line is upto date, you are taking 30mg's valium +.25mg Xanax daily, correct?

dear pamster

Dear jbforpc,

Forgive me once again for offending you, that was not my intention.  BenzoBuddies is a benzodiazepine withdrawal support site, I don't have any experience with helping someone who isn't looking to be free of the medication.  I've never had a panic attack or experienced anything close to what you must live with, I'm very sorry if I minimized your situation.

If a taper from Xanax to Valium is what you're interested in, then the schedules I've provided should get you there.  I hope once you complete your crossover that the Valium provides the relief you so desperately need. 

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE --- As of last week I no longer take any xanax at all. I have crossed over to the Valium. I had to take a stronger dose of Valium than planed until it was definitely in my system at high levels and have now cut the dose of the Valium to a lower level. I know most on this site tapper and cross over to Valium so they can be benzo free, that was not my case this time, maybe next time :) Due to my medical conditions and a SSRI allergy, a benzo is a necessary evil, for now anyhow! Hopefully my docs and modern medicine will come up with something to help that is non benzo( by the way Buspar did not work for me either)!

Some things I have learned.(in my case)

1. Xanax is evil, It works great for a year or so, then dose needs to be higher and higher, drug becomes useless.

2. Like everything you read XANAX is ADDICTIVE, and you wont even know or even think you are addicted until you stop taking it. Then the ugly monster will come and bite you!!!!!

3. If your DR. wants to switch you directly from Xanax to Valium with no cross taper, please insist on a taper plan. I know that in the US most PDOCS don't use the Ashton method when switching from benzos to a different benzo or quiting benzos all together....But please beg and bug them too if you have any symptoms of withdraw.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

[da...]

UPDATE --- As of last week I no longer take any xanax at all. I have crossed over to the Valium. I had to take a stronger dose of Valium than planed until it was definitely in my system at high levels and have now cut the dose of the Valium to a lower level. I know most on this site tapper and cross over to Valium so they can be benzo free, that was not my case this time, maybe next time :) Due to my medical conditions and a SSRI allergy, a benzo is a necessary evil, for now anyhow! Hopefully my docs and modern medicine will come up with something to help that is non benzo( by the way Buspar did not work for me either)!

Some things I have learned.(in my case)

1. Xanax is evil, It works great for a year or so, then dose needs to be higher and higher, drug becomes useless.

2. Like everything you read XANAX is ADDICTIVE, and you wont even know or even think you are addicted until you stop taking it. Then the ugly monster will come and bite you!!!!!

3. If your DR. wants to switch you directly from Xanax to Valium with no cross taper, please insist on a taper plan. I know that in the US most PDOCS don't use the Ashton method when switching from benzos to a different benzo or quiting benzos all together....But please beg and bug them too if you have any symptoms of withdraw.

Thanks for all of your help!!!

jpforpc-

I am gald that you were able to C/O to Valium....well done :thumbsup: I did a direct c/o from Xanax to Valium(in my signature line below) and had no problems.

Wish you all the best and if you ever decide you want to taper off in the future, BB will be here to support you.

Just Breathe

Unforunately, that's what happens with all benzos.  :(

• 1 month later...

Sounds like you made it over a major hump, despite your doc, congratulations!  seems your crossover was too fast, and you came off the xanax too fast.  my pdoc also wanted me to just switch from 2.5 mg xanax directly to 15 mg valium, but i did my own crossover with a one month hoard of xanax, most of which i still had at the 6 week mark, and still have.  my pdoc insisted that the ratio was 1 mg = 5 mg valium, and she dismissed Ashton as way off in the 1 mg to 20 mg equivalency.  altho Ashton's 1 to 20 ratio is most often quoted, a 1 to 10 ratio seems to be more consensus, acc. to this website , first page top "withdrawal methods" and then "substitution" is this table:

Benzodiazepine Equivalency Table

Ashton CHPD 5* Giannini Aus.Gov. 5* FPN 60* Plunkett DrugIntel C.C. 5* BenzoInfo

Alprazolam 0.5mg 1mg         1mg     1-2mg                 1mg         1mg         0.5mg 1mg          0.5mg

Bromazepam 5-6mg 6mg   6-12mg   6mg 6mg 6-12mg 6mg

Chlordiazepoxide 25mg 50mg 25mg   25mg 25mg 25mg 20-50mg 25mg

Clobazam       20mg   20mg    

Clonazepam 0.5mg 0.5mg 4mg 1mg 4mg 2mg 0.5mg 1-2mg 0.5mg

Clorazepate 15mg 20mg 15mg     15mg 15mg 15mg 15mg

Diazepam 10mg 10mg 10mg 10mg 10mg 10mg 10mg 10mg 10mg

There's more,

well the formatting is now a mess but it indicates most sources use a 1 mg xanax =10 mg valium, half of Ashton, and double what my pdoc says is in her textbooks (she's a resident at oregon's premier research/teaching hospital).  i have had a hard time determining  so i crafted my own crossover with a one month supply of xanax and pdoc's script for 15 mg valium /day.  i started tapering as i subbed, to make it work despite pdoc's 1 to 5 equivalency.  i used the 1 to 10 ratio.  i too was worried about ending up short but it went ok for me, granted i was not having panic attacks as often as you. 

by end of 5 weeks, i had subbed and tapered quite a bit (based on 1 to 10 equivalency), going from 2.5 mg xanax a day over and down to 15 mg valium a day.  some irritable and/or anxious days, but pretty tolerable.

also i have had a hard time determining what those sources in the table are: "CHPD 5* Giannini Aus.Gov. 5* FPN 60* Plunkett DrugIntel C.C. 5* BenzoInfo"    i wanted to share w pdoc, but after 5 weeks it was ok.

over the next 3 weeks, i slowly tapered to 13.75 mg valium , then over 2 weeks took it to 12.5 mg valium.  thats where i am now.  i count that as half of what i was taking (2.5 mg xanax) altho Ashton would count that as a 75% reduction.  i feel its more like half.

i agree with you p....  that stabilizing and lowering benzos is a worthy goal for some of us, that is progress even if we don't get off benzos altogether soon. 

i've allowed myself to go sideways (stabilizing for three weeks at certain levels.  also i and my pdoc allow me to take a fraction of a xanax when panicky (i nibble about .1 mg about once a week as needed, this small amount gives quick symptom relief without any major reliance on xanax.)

getting off caffeine has made a real difference for me.  i find myself getting anxious if i drink one cup of joe in the a.m. so have switched to decaf.  i highly recommend this to anyone tapering. 

take care all, too bad the docs don't have equivalencies figured out, and don't realize that people can't instantly sub over.  thank god for this intelligent group (thank you, God!)

dave