Customized Taperinf x2

[Fr...]

Hi Everyone. I'm new and can't find the place where I get specific help with tapering.  Ive read Ashton but it doesn't advise on my med' regime. Ta, FrancesM

Hi Everyone. I'm new and can't find the place where I get specific help with tapering.  Ive read Ashton but it doesn't advise on my med' regime. Ta, FrancesM

Hello again, FrancesM -

You are actually in the right place to get specific help with tapering. We usually recommend tapering 10% of your total daily dose every 10-14 days. So this means that if you are currently taking 10mg of diazepam each day, you would want to start with cutting 0.10 mgs off your daily dose, which would leave you with .90 mgs per day for 10-14 days. However, since you've only recently started taking this dosage and didn't do a structured crossover from lorazepam, I'd recommend holding until you have stabilized on diazepam.

It's also recommended that you get the smallest strength available in your particular benzo - that would be 2.0 mg tablets for diazepam. This makes it easier to make accurate cuts the lower you get in your taper.  

Please be sure to read "Overview of the Three Supported Types of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal" Here's the link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9522.0  There you will find descriptions of a Direct Taper, Substitution Taper, and Titration Taper, all of which have specific sub-boards dedicated to them here at BenzoBuddies.

If there's anything else you need help with, just give us a shout.

PPJ  :)

Forgot to mention that I've been on 2mg Lorazepam mornings for past two years with no probs.  But 5 weeks ago after splitting with my boyfriend, foolishly increased it to 3mg mornings and 2mg evenings. This scared me and I got into a terrible state. Finally saw a pdoc who's given me Diazepam 10mg's to taper.  I've read Ashton but it doesnt advice on my med regime. Can anyone advise me? Ty.

FrancesM

Forgot to mention that I've been on 2mg Lorazepam mornings for past two years with no probs.  But 5 weeks ago after splitting with my boyfriend, foolishly increased it to 3mg mornings and 2mg evenings. This scared me and I got into a terrible state. Finally saw a pdoc who's given me Diazepam 10mg's to taper.  I've read Ashton but it doesnt advice on my med regime. Can anyone advise me? Ty.

FrancesM

Hi Frances,

I answered your question on another thread. Here's the link: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=14939.msg220951#msg220951

How long have you been on the 10mgs diazepam? The reason I ask is because this is not an equivalent dosage to the lorazepam you were taking. Ideally you would stabilize on your initial dose of lorazepam for a week or two, then do a structured crossover to diazepam and taper down from there.

Also, it would probably help if you posted in the same thread each time so that we can be sure we don't miss any questions you may have, etc.  :smitten:

Let us know if you have any questions.

PPJ  :)