The mind of a child.

[Je...]

In some ways, I feel like I have the mind of a child.  I am afraid of everything.  going for a walk, going anywhere...talking to people...talking on the phone.  It is as if my self confidence will have to be relearned.  The confidence to go back to work...I've gotta relearn it.  the confidence to go to the store, where all those people are, I must relearn that.  That pounding in my chest...I must relearn that it's ok, it means my heart is doing it's thing, just as it always has.

You won't have to relearn it.  It comes back naturally and gradually.  It helps to accept that it's a part of the process.  It will happen and you'll be so grateful for every new sign of returning mental and physical health.

I know exactly how you feel. I have not started my taper yet, but one of the main things that made me realize I've gotta get off Xanax is feeling like I was so unsure of every single part of my life. My life has gotten to where I'm  scared of everything. I used to be so self confident. Will I ever get that back?

On ativan I was scared of everything. Frightened like a little child. And for me, someone who has been a very confident and fearless leader, the feelings were so humbling. Most of my fear has passed, though some of it may rear its ugly head in the final portions of my taper. I am incrementally regaining my confidence in doing normal things that, during early and mid taper, left me frozen with utter fear and panic. Why the hell should combing my hair leave me in a state of despair and panic?!?! It just didnt make sense, it was the drug.