So, which has an easier time after taper?

[So...]

Does anyone know if valium taperer's really had it easier? Just curious.

For everyone done tapering the different benzo's, let us know how it went for you after you jumped.

Denise  :smitten:

I haven't jumped yet, but my observation has been that when any taper is done carefully, people generally seem to do okay. I think that the Valium is just easier to use, plus its longer half life, plus it effects GABA slightly differently. Everyone is just SO different that it is hard to say whether A has an easier recovery than drug B. So many other factors involved.

Good point. It just seems that everyone thinks that Klonopin is the worst to taper from. And, I guess I am worried that I will get stuck with it.

I think my Dr would probably want to stick me on Ativan, since I am not tolerating the Klonopin so well. So, i was hoping to get several opinions, just in case I got stuck with something crappy. Well, they are all crappy. Just some crappier than others.

I think if you taper carefully and slowly from Klonopin, it's probably not much different than the other benzos.

I've read that K binds more tightly to the receptors, but still with a careful taper, I don't see why it has to be any worse than other benzos.

JMO

People tapering diazepam will have a slightly more mild w/d because of the long half life and the storage of active metabolites in fat cells. The main metabolite in diazepam (Nordazepam) is active by itself for another 30-200 hours after your diazepam is processed...So you're getting the effects of two different benzodiazepines when you take diazepam.

Clonazepam is metabolized into inactive metabolites meaning the withdrawal will be more intense than diazepam BUT it will be a shorter w/d.

I tapered from clonazepam and didn't have much of an issue. I personally think it's the best benzodiazepine to taper from because there are no active metabolites and the half life is still long enough to prevent interdose withdrawal.

For everyone done tapering the different benzo's, let us know how it went for you after you jumped.

Well, I had to do a fast taper (prescriptions stopped) and when I switched from Xanax to valium it definitely made the taper easier.  Valium is more sedating for me and has a longer half life, so it worked for me.

After the taper it was a different story.....

Well my Dr appt did not go so good. He took me off the Klonopin and put me on Ativan.

BUT, he wants me tapered off of it in two months, and use it only nightly or prn after that. Right now I have a script for .50 x 4 per day.

So, basically I am in a mess!!

So, I would appreciate any ideas on how to cross over to Ativan, from two weeks use of Klonopin. And, then help with a taper from the Ativan.

Oddly, he doesn't care if I use is nightly. How weird is that.

I will be posting this on other threads for help as well. Because, folks, I am gonna need it!

Thanks,

Denise  :)

Hi Denise

I tapered Valium and feel fine. There is probably little difference among the benzos as far as how things go after finishing provided you don't jump from too high a  dose. I have noticed that Valium taperers seem to go down to a lower equivalent than for the other benzos.

Bart

Hi Denise

I tapered Valium and feel fine. There is probably little difference among the benzos as far as how things go after finishing provided you don't jump from too high a  dose. I have noticed that Valium taperers seem to go down to a lower equivalent than for the other benzos.

Bart

Well, I just got switched from Klonopin to Ativan. And, my Dr wants me tapered from 4 times a day to once a day in two months. Or, 2 mg to 1 mg or less in two months.

I was reinstated on Klonopin two weeks ago, but it was making me sick. He doesn't like valium. And, refuses to have a pt on a four times a day dosage of ativan for more than a few months. Once a day, or prn is fine.

Sucks to be me!!