Sergio - titration help

[Se...]

Hello Colin: This is Sergio again.

Today I have felt awfaul, my worse day so far. Do you think you can help me to desing a titering program? I think that will work better than the method that I am following now: cutting the tablets. Also I agree with you my tapering was too fast.

Right now I am taking 2.5 mg. of clonazepam a day, 2 at bed time and .5 mg. in the morning. I had cut dawn from 3 to 2, but I decided to take .5 in the morning because my symptoms did not allow me to function, practically during the entire day. I am doing a great effort to write you this note. I wish you can advice me in this matter. Also I have not been able to find how I can post a note in the forum. Would it be too much to ask for your advice here too?

I feel much stronger since I found benzbuddies. I can comunicate with people than understand the withdrawal process. I have look in my country, Mexico, for support organizations and I have not found any. I ask myself the big suffering that other people under the same circumstances can do here? Especially if they do not understand English and are fortunate enough, like my case, to have found you. I have seen people with benzodiazepine addiction going to the ER, and the treatment is to increase the dose.

I thank you very much for everything that you and your colleages are doing to help mankind. I wonder why the Health authorities in the world (The Health World Organization of the U.N. and other bodies) are not more involved in warning the public abot the implications of taking benzos, also whatit is doing the scientific community? I can imagene why. At the same time I think about the really big suffering that the people of Myanmar are feeling right now. I should not be so egocentric thinking just about me. Thank you again. :thumbsup:

Hi Sergio,

I have to go right now, but will try to pop in a littel later before going to bed (I'm the UK, it's getting on for midnight here).

We have some Spannish speakers here if there is something thst you don't understand. Where possible though, I would prefer to keep posts in English so that everyone can understand.

I can help you with titration schedule.

Take care.

Hi again,

Most people find that they fare better if they take their benzos more evenly over the day. Most people take Clonazepam in two or three roughly equal-sized doses. If twice-a-day is frequent enough for you, then you might try gradually changing to 1.125mg twice-a-day, taken about 12 hours apart. Three doses, taken about 8 hours apart, might be more convenient if you like to take a dose immediately before bed.

If you would like to titrate, you will need to decide upon a taper rate. This should be based upon your past experiences of tapering (of what worked for you), but in the absence of a tapering history, you will probably decide upon a rate of about 10% cut over a period of 7-14 days - it is for you decide upon the exact figure. Please post here for feedback to help you decide upon a suitable taper rate for you.

What dose are the tablets you use? If you are not already using 0.5mg tablets, switching to these might make titration unnecessary, as they will allow you to make much smaller cuts.

Is there a faster method? Hi-I'm new

A faster method of quitting? Not one that make sense! If you use the forum search function, you should find plenty of examples of people quitting 'cold turkey'. Not only is this potentially very dangerous (even life-threatening), people end up feeling very ill for months afterwards. Very many people end up reinstating because the withdrawal symptoms are so severe, and some of them never again manage to find a dose at which they feel reasonably stable. Tapering off at a sensible rate (the majority of people find they can taper off at 10% of their dose every 7-14 days) is the only way to get off that does not endanger you, and where you will be reasonably sure of feeling reasonably OK.

• 5 months later...

Hello Colin:

I was advice to post in this topic that you open for me since May. I would like to know your opinion about switching from dry cut taper to tritation, I will give you some background about my taper process: I started tapering May 15, 2008; I was taking 3mg. of clonazepam a day, I reduced .5mg for 15 days, then an additional .5mg for another 15 days. At that point you told me that you consider that those two reductions were too fast and too large; I completely agree, due to the sx's I experienced.

Since then I continue tapering .125mg every 15 days, and switched to 3 intakes instead of two, until now. I have reached 1mg. taking it two times a day, due to convenience in cutting the tablets, but some of my symptoms worsened. I have had ups and dawns with my symptoms, but they have been tolerable, so far.

I would like to make another cut starting 10/21 and switch to three instead of two intakes a day. I have access to 2mg. and .5mg tablets and also drops. I can start making direct dry cuts of .0625mg (1/8 fraction of .5mg tablets) or go to tritation. I have read how to titrate, the instructions are very clear; there are pros and cons to each method.

I would like to know your opinion. In case you consider titration a better way to go, your help to make a scheduled will be very much appreciated, this way I can double check my calculations.

I thank you very much in advance for your help.

Sincerely yours. 

Hi Sergio,

Colin pops in and out as you know. I can tell you by switching back to 2 x/day versus 3 x/day may have brought on your worsened symptoms. If you switch back to 3 x/day, you should do it a little slowly. By taking .375 am, .125 afternoon and .50 evening for three or four days, then move a little from the evening dose to your afternoon dose to make it .375am, .25 afternoon and .375 evening and stay there for a few days. After you feel well enough, you can cut either your am or evening dose by .125 and hold for your usual 15 days. As you know, titrating does tend to "tie you to the kitchen" but this a personal choice and we will help you with whatever you decide to do.

T2 :smitten:

Hello Theresa2:

Thank you very much for your post I would prefer direct dry cut, I will follow your indications. Since I am at 1mg a day right now,

would it be good to cut .125mg as you suggested? I would like to know your advice.

Sincerely yours. :smitten:

Hello Theresa2:

Thank you very much for your post I would prefer direct dry cut, I will follow your indications. Since I am at 1mg a day right now,

would it be good to cut .125mg as you suggested? I would like to know your advice.

Hi Sergio,

If you are going back to three times a day, do it slowly as I suggested and wait until you are back to 3 times a day for a few days before you cut again. Then just cut .125mg as suggested. If your w/d s/x become intolerable, then you may want to try dry cutting by .0625 or going to titration.

T2 :smitten:

Hello Theresa2:

Hi, Serg.  :)

If you want to stay at 2x/day, that's okay, too.  Since you are at 1 mg/day total, cutting 0.125mg would be just a little over 10% and should be fine.  You can reduce whichever of your 2 doses you want this time and then reduce the other dose next time to even things out. You last cut on 10/7 according to your signature box so if you are feeling pretty good, it would be fine to go ahead and cut today or tomorrow. 

You are doing so good.  :thumbsup:

Hello Theresa2:

I will do what you told me. Stabilize at 1mg a day, switching to three intakes a day as suggested, and wait 14 days for the next cut. As you said, due to my activities, I cannot be tied to the kitchen, and since my symptoms are not so bad, I think that is the way to go.

Again, thank you very much. :smitten:

Hello Beeper:

I will try to switch to three intakes a day, and then cut .125mg and see how I feel. I noticed than when I take two doses a day instead of three, my sx's exacerbated a little, especially, I wake up two or three times during the night, but then I go back to sleep, in a short time.

It is nice to hear you. Thank you very much and do well. :)

Sounds like you are getting the hang of your taper Sergio!  Glad to see you are generally managing well.  :thumbsup:  Your doing great!

Keith :thumbsup:

Hello Keith64:

Thank you very much for your encouragement :thumbsup:. My symptoms are not so bad, so far. I hope I can continue as planned. The support of all of you has been crucial to my taper process. Something very important is that BB is a community where I feel like family, free to express and ask. I do not post very often, due to work, I wish I could be helpful to other bodies, like you are. ;)

Serg -  ;D

When we can announce "Sergio is Free!", that will encourage everyone else to keep going. So just keep us updated about where you are at in your taper and how you are doing from time to time.  Afterall, I need some advnaced warning so I can start blowing up the balloons.  ;)  :balloon:

Serg,

You are a warm, wonderful addition to BB, no matter how much or little time you can spend here.

I think it's safe to say we all love you!  :smitten: