Titration taper for .5 klonopin

[...]

Need a titration schedule please for .5 klonopin.    Husband currently taking .25 am, on awakening, .25 pm before bedtime.  Not sure what reduction rate, usual 10%?  I guess it can be adjusted if this is too fast. 

Experiencing paradox symptons from Klonopin, feels worst in am and almost "normal" by bedtime, just in time for next dose! 

Has been on Klonopin since Jan. 17, was originally 1mg dose, cut am dose to .25 beginning March with 3 days w/d, then eased off.

Two weeks later, dropped pm dose from .5mg to .25m, now two weeks later, still experiencing am anxiety to a level 7 (1 being best, 10 worst).  But he is coping with this.

When can we start a further reduction with titration?

Hi,

I can draw up a schedule to start in a couple of days if you like. I suggest a taper rate of 10% over days as a starting point (this is about average) - it can be adjusted later if need be. You will need a 100ml measuring cylinder marked at 1ml increments, and a 10ml syringe is useful for easily adjusting the dose. A pestle and mortar for crushing the tablets can usually be replaced with just a cup and the back of a spoon.

Let me know when you have the equipment and supply me with start date. I will supply you with your husband with his own titration plan, complete with dates and doses. There are no calculations to make - they are all carried out for you. ;)

Have equipment taken care of, am ready for the taper schedule now, that way I can figure how many more pills he is going to need when we discuss this with the Doctor., he currently has about 28 pills left on this prescription (5mg) divided in .25 x2 divided dosages as mentioned previously.  Really appreciate all the hard work you do for members of these forums, takes a lot of the "fear factor" out of the whole process, that's a big deal!!

he currently has about 28 pills left on this prescription (5mg) divided in .25 x2 divided dosages as mentioned previously.

Hi,

I don't understand the above. '5mg'?

I will work up a schedule to start in a couple of days. I'll probably post it here sometime today. It will be for a 100ml cylinder, marked with 1ml increments; start date 8th April; using one 0.5mg tablet per day; and a taper rate of 10% over 10 days.

Hello,

Sorry for the confusion.  I mean he has .5 mg klonopin pills. He takes a total of .5mg for the entire day.  He cuts it in half and takes .25 in the am and .25 in the pm.  So I guess for now only one dose (a.m. or p.m.) will be titrated (?) and he will still take the other .25 orally?  Or are both doses titrated? Let me know if this makes sense or not.

Nadj

hi,

It was just the '5mg' part that confused me (it still does), but that's fine.

No, the titration method titrates one whole pills at a time. So, if several pills are taken per day, only one is titrated. In your husband's case, one whole 0.5mg tablet will be titrated, and no more pills taken through the day. The liquid can be split into one or more doses to suit for the day. ;)

Sounds good.  As far as the original 5mg, I really meant 0.5mg.  I think I am getting as confused as my husband, I am trying not to stress out too much over all this, have to keep my head clear!

Hi,

Sorry, I became bogged down with something else last night.

I've just read your post to your new thread - is your husband considering taking a higher dose than 0.5mg per day? He should try to stick to his dose, but either way, are you sure that this is the right time to start titrating his dose down from 0.5mg? He should stabilise on his present dose before continuing his taper. It might be unrealistic for him to feel completely OK, but he should not start cutting if he feels that he needs to increase his dose! Encourage him to stick at his present dose for a while longer - a few days or a week.

He was wondering if he should go up .25 (yes he is only at .05 total right now).  I am going to have him read the advice from ejay and yourself, hopefully this will encourage him to stay where he is.  It seems increasing at this point is not going to give him any relief anyway, correct?  And no, as you say this probably is not the time to reduce again until he feels better. 

Colin, my husband has asked for the titration schedule. He wants to try to move forward, said his symptons managable the majority of the time this week and has been about 3 weeks since last taper. If you need to have me give you the information again, I would be happy to.  The 10% rate you recommended sounded good, we can play it by ear (or should I say symptons!) and see how it goes.  Thanks much.

Nadj

Colin,

While we wait for the titration schedule, we thought we would begin titration today with the pm dose.  We are planning on taking the .05 mg tablet, titrating it in 100 ml with a 1% reduction (1ml), split the evening dose out and saving the remainder for the am dose.  Each (a.m. and p.m. dose is .25).  I am guessing the schedule will tell us 1% per day.  The only thing I am not sure of is to have him to 10% every 10 or 14 days?  I also saw a schedule you did for someone with 10% every 7 days?  I know it is individual and is trial and error however, so go slower at first would you say?  Have read the titration instructions several times over, so I think we are pretty clear on that. 

Thanks,

Nadj

Hi,

The table id, of course, very predictable because of 1% being cut each day from 100ml. Later, as you hinted, the schedule can be adjusted to speed up or slow down the taper as required. It is still helpful to have the dates and figures, as it is easy to forget the previous day's dose when it is constantly changing. So, anyway, here's your schedule:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-nadj-2008-04-13.html

Place the following in your signature:

[url=http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/tt-nadj-2008-04-13.html][u]My Titration Schedule[/u][/url].

It will display like this:

My Titration Schedule.