I'm so confused and a wreck

[br...]

Hi everyone. I'm so honored to be apart of this group. I hope you can help me. I've been to various sites and I'm still confused how to do my tapers and schedule.  I would like the Titration method but I don't have the equipment yet. I suffer from severe insomnia and have been placed on .5mg klonopin 3 times a day. Which by the way I'm curious how you are handling the whole insomnia part and what supplements help but that is a whole other topic in the future.

I tried to dry cut my afternoon dose by a quarter yesterday and I have been in panic mode all day today.  I haven't been on Klonopin very long but I'm very sensitive. Could I really be effected by just a quarter cut one time?I'm confused about the tapering and titration schedule. In the instructions it says to use all the pills you would for that day. Why can't we cut just one of the doses by 10% and take the other morning and night like normally until we have completely weaned off let's say the afternoon dose and then repeat the process for the morning or night one?  Please excuse my ignorance My brain is fried and I have a hard time getting things. I also have a brain injury from a rollover accident so it's hard for me to understand things at first.  Can anyone help me make sense of it and come up with a schedule? Thanks for your patience and help in advance.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [br...]

• [Co...]

• [si...]

• [Ta...]

Top Posters In This Topic

hi welcome to the forum - i see you know how to start a thread so you are off to a good start.

a moderator will be by shortly to assist you with your taper or titration. 

Hello Brite,

Welcome to BB.  Ok you are on 1.5 mg of Klonopin.  when you post again, can you let us know how long you have been on?  Yes, you can be experiencing side effects from the cut you just made.  Can you hold the cut, or did you go back to 3 mg today?

Ok forget about the titration schedule for a minute and lets talk about what you would like to do.  Those schedules are only meant as guidelines. They are not written in stone.  You can create your own schedule, cut or titrate at the rate and pace which is most comfortable for you.  

Yes, you can cut 10% off of one of your daily doses if that is how you want to proceed. Many People do it that way and are successful.  Try and cut from the afternoon dose again. Don't cut off so much. I know these pills are small but cut your 1/4 into an eighth and see if you can tolerate that.  You should hold your cuts for about 2 weeks so your brain can play catch up and your GABA receptors reset themselves.

Colin or Tanya will be by to help you set up a more exact titration schedule if that is something you need.

XXXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

Thanks for your responses and support Silver and Christine :)

To answer your question Christine, I used to take one .5 mg  on as needed basis for like 15 yrs but once in a blue moon. Only a couple of times a year. Back in Aug I developed severe insomnia and nothing seemed to work so I started taking an old prescription of one .5mg  twice a week because I thought I wouldn't get dependant on it that way. However, I would have withdrawals in between the days I didn't take them. So just recently about a month ago I've been placed on them 3 times a day so I haven't been on it for so long but I have other health issues like adrenal fatigue which the Klonopin makes worse but I am also not strong enough to handle any withdrawals.  I'm very sensitive and and react very quickly to these things.

I haven't taken my second dose yet but I will try to hold the cut because I can't seem to cut it smalle than a quarter. The 1/8 doesen't come out very accurately.

I definitely think the Titration method is how I want to go but not sure how exactly so I'm looking forward to hearing from Colin and/or Tanya.   

Thanks again :)

hi brite - one of them should be by sometime today.

funny how these drugs just kinda grow on you even when they stop working - happens to most of us.

Hi brite,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

If I understand you, you started from three .5 mg pills, daily total 1.5 mg  and cut down 1/4 of one pill. That would be about 8.33% cut of your daily dose. If you are finding that this is too much of a cut (I did) then maybe you should use the titration method.

When we recommend 10% cut of the daily dose that is only a suggestion. You have to find out what is the right rate of taper for you. Trial and error kind of thing. If you give this las cut some time and see how you do after a few days then that can give you better idea of what your rate should be. Now, remember, you can always adjust it as you go along; speed it up, slow it down.  You are in charge of your taper!  :thumbsup:

You start by titrating one (1) pill, and take the other two in full amounts. The one you titrate, you dissolve in mlk and follow the instructions of how much to discard. The other two you can then add to the milk suspension and then divide all of it in 3 equal parts (that way, you take 3 equal amounts of klono during the day). To tell you honestly, I still just take my morning dose in the suspension form and the other two as regular pills. It's easier that way, since I work and don't want to carry a milk bottle to work (yet).

Please read the titration instructions posted on this subboard, to get better idea how it is to be done. Any questions, ask, ask, ask...

Colin will prepare a schedule for you once you decide the taper rate and from what amount you'd like to start (1.5 or 1.375 mg).

You will need  a graduated cylinder (preferably 100 ml with 1 ml graduations) and a syringe with 1 ml divisions.

We will help you explain in detail how to make this suspension if the directions on the board are not clear.

Also, please tell us when you'd like to start it. Give us a few days to work on it, since both Colin and I are little busy these days. Don't worry, though, we will help you get rid of this evil drug.

You are on the right track of saying "good bye" to klonopin.  :yippee: We'll get to freedom together! I also started from 1.5 mg.

Sorry if I missed something... Again, keep asking any questions you need to have answered. You need to be comfortable and ready to do this. It took me about a month before I started, but when I started I was truly ready to tackle this monster.

We will be in touch... Give us the answers to the above couple a questions and we will "get to work".

Take care.

Tanya :)

brite7,

I am also new to this board (2-3 days) and started out confused (still am).  So you are in good company!

I am trying to come off xanax and also need to cut 1/8 of my pill; i find it too difficult to get the exact cut (mine crubles).  So Colin is working on the liquid titration for me.

It sounds confusing at first.  But I just keep reading, and little by little its sinking in,

The people here are fantastic so rest assured you will get the help you need.  I have...

Springday

Hi Brite7,

You might choose to reverse this cut since you only started it last night. I will then work out a titration schedule for you starting from three tablets. If you decide to stick with the cut from last night, I will adjust the shedule to reflect this.

Assuming you obtain a 100ml cylinder marked with 1ml graduations, you will be able to make tiny cuts - far smaller then 10%! Unlike tapering by splitting pills, in titration tapers we talk about cuts over a period of time, so it would a 10% cut over 14 days, for exapmple. This is because you will be making small cuts daily, or near daily, that add up to 10% (or whatever figure you are working to) over a period of time. A 10% cut over 14 days is generally a good starting point - you will be making tiny be frequent cuts. This eliminates sudden changes to your dose.

Let me know when you have the equipement, the size of the cylinder, and scale marked on the cylinder. You will also need to confirm the your taper rate: percentage cut over how many days. Others can help you decide upon these figures. The titration shedule will give the precise amount to take and actual date of when a new cut is due to take place.

Here are a couple of example titration schedules:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/bbo-nuvi-2008-01-12.html

http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/titration-table-tanya-2007-09-29.html

Hi Tanya thanks so for much for  your kindness and support. I feel so blessed to have found this forum. I still have a couple of questions if you don't mind?  I was just wondering why it is suggested that the other two doses be taken in suspension form when they are not the ones being titrated yet. Is there a benefit in taking them that way? I know you say you don't because of being at work but I'm curious why that is suggested.  Also we drink skim milk would I need to buy milk with some percentage of fat to make sure the klonopin dissolves correctly?  Would I have to use all milk or can I use some water?  Klonopin is killing my GI tract. I barely can stand it. I need to get rid of as you say this"evil drug". Thanks for being here for support.

Hi brite,

You start by titrating one (1) pill, and take the other two in full amounts. The one you titrate, you dissolve in mlk and follow the instructions of how much to discard. The other two you can then add to the milk suspension and then divide all of it in 3 equal parts (that way, you take 3 equal amounts of klono during the day). To tell you honestly, I still just take my morning dose in the suspension form and the other two as regular pills. It's easier that way, since I work and don't want to carry a milk bottle to work (yet).

Hi Brite7,

You might choose to reverse this cut since you only started it last night. I will then work out a titration schedule for you starting from three tablets. If you decide to stick with the cut from last night, I will adjust the shedule to reflect this.

Assuming you obtain a 100ml cylinder marked with 1ml graduations, you will be able to make tiny cuts - far smaller then 10%! Unlike tapering by splitting pills, in titration tapers we talk about cuts over a period of time, so it would a 10% cut over 14 days, for exapmple. This is because you will be making small cuts daily, or near daily, that add up to 10% (or whatever figure you are working to) over a period of time. A 10% cut over 14 days is generally a good starting point - you will be making tiny be frequent cuts. This eliminates sudden changes to your dose.

Let me know when you have the equipement, the size of the cylinder, and scale marked on the cylinder. You will also need to confirm the your taper rate: percentage cut over how many days. Others can help you decide upon these figures. The titration shedule will give the precise amount to take and actual date of when a new cut is due to take place.

Here are a couple of example titration schedules:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/bbo-nuvi-2008-01-12.html

http://www.benzobuddies.org/spreadsheets/titration-table-tanya-2007-09-29.html

brite7,

I am also new to this board (2-3 days) and started out confused (still am).  So you are in good company!

I am trying to come off xanax and also need to cut 1/8 of my pill; i find it too difficult to get the exact cut (mine crubles).  So Colin is working on the liquid titration for me.

It sounds confusing at first.  But I just keep reading, and little by little its sinking in,

The people here are fantastic so rest assured you will get the help you need.  I have...

Springday

Thanks springday you are so sweet and I appreciate your support. You are right the people here are fantastic they are like  :angel:  Good luck with your taper. We'll get through it together.

Hi brite,

I was just wondering why it is suggested that the other two doses be taken in suspension form when they are not the ones being titrated yet. Is there a benefit in taking them that way? I know you say you don't because of being at work but I'm curious why that is suggested.  Also we drink skim milk would I need to buy milk with some percentage of fat to make sure the klonopin dissolves correctly?

If you dissolve your other two pills in the milk, AFTER you disposed of the amount of milk when the first pill was dissolved and "titrated", and then divide this by 3 (number of times you take it daily), you will have the same amount of klono taken during the day. That means that your blood level is always stable so to speak. It's not going up and down during the day (or during the half life period).  Again, I am not doing it yet since my dose is still pretty high and little oscillations in blood levels are not making any difference. YET. But will certainly do it at lower doses to enable as steady and smooth decline as possible.

Does this make sense to you now?  ;)

For titration purposes you should use whole milk (more fat for klonopin to bind to). Don't let that stop you brite; I haven't drunk milk since I was a kid and now I do - but it's such a small amount that I don't mind it. Before I started I was thinking - OMG, I am going to gag on milk. Haven't gagged yet.  ;)

Keep asking any questions you have dear brite. The goal for us is to get off this junk and so we will. Everything I heard or read suggests that our physical (and mental) health will improve after we are done with benzos. I've also had stomach problems for years, done all kinds of tests and everything is OK. Except, of course, for klonopoison...

Take care, will talk to you soon.  :smitten:

Hi Brite,

As Tanya wrote, if you add the other pills after titrating your pill, you will find it easier to divide you total daily dose into equal smaller doses. However, you are correct, you do not have to do this, but it can be very helpful when the pills will not split into convenient or consistant amounts.

Hi Brite,

As Tanya wrote, if you add the other pills after titrating your pill, you will find it easier to divide you total daily dose into equal smaller doses. However, you are correct, you do not have to do this, but it can be very helpful when the pills will not split into convenient or consistant amounts.

Hi Colin. I had replied to your first post but it looked like only I quoted what you had said and the stuff that I responded to didn't go through :( 

so let me see if  I can remember what I had wrote.  First  do you know where I can get the 100ml graduated cylynder with 1ml  graduations and a syringe. Will I need a blender if I use milk?  Do you happen to know how long it would take if I go with the standard method of reducing 10% every 2 weeks with a starting dose of  .5mg am .325 mg afternoon(I'm sticking with this dose very proud of myself :)  and .5mg pm?  I'm not sure my GI problems can handle being on klonopin for too much longer but don't want to become a wreck by weaning off too quickly. 

Thanks for all your time, help, and patience with me.

Brite,

Sometimes drug stores carry them or a scientific store, if the city you live in has one. You can order them from the internet for 10 bucks or so.  One site is wardsci.com    They have the droppers too.  Yes, you need a blender.  A small one works best if you have it.

As to your rate reduction, at 10% every two weeks, I think it should take about 20 weeks for you to be at the end.  Tanya, or Colin, I need a math genius here!!

Brite,

If you are using milk then you don't need the blender. You can crush the pill with the back of a spoon, in a cup, or use mortar and pestle. I use a spoon and a cup and it works fine!  ;)

People use blender for water titration.

Take care!

Tanya  :)

Thanks for the info guys. Do you know the difference between a double vs single scale cylinder?  I can't figure out which one to buy. Can someone send me a direct link to a cheap 100ml cylinder with 1 ml graduations cause I'm having trouble finding it  and also the syringe? I went to some of the web sites but Im confused which to buy. If you and direct me to the direct link of what to get I'd greatly appreciate.I'm gettng furstrated trying to find the eqpuiment. Sorry. Thanks for your help I'm just getting anxious about all this and want to get started.  Hugs to you guys.

you don't need a scale - you need a pill masher and a blunt syringe - i am pretty sure that is all you need - and a small measuring cup.

bob did you need a scale?

wouldn't a blunt syringe have everything he needs - i got one just by asking at a drug store.

i got a pill grinder and a blunt syringe with markings - shouldn't that do it - if he can find one?  most if not all drug stores have that.