Clonazepam Taper?

[tr...]

Hi there!

I am new to the board and have been on Clonazepam for about 5 months now.

I am at 1.75mg at bedtime which is a step up from my original does of 1.5 at bedtime.  I had to step up when I came off my Antidepressant Lexapro which I am back on in the smallest does possible 2.5mg.  I was diagnosed with PTSD..I lost a baby and almost died and received a blood transfusion.  That is all in the past so feel no pity for me..k?

I really want to have a baby or at least try for one again and I do not want to have a child or entertain getting preg. on this medication.  I have bought my water titration supplies...but am open to as many suggestions as possible.  People..please let me know that you were able to still work...and function pretty normal....this is my biggest fear.  I suffer insomnia really badly but I am sure it is the benzo...and maybe tolerance?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

T

Hi Traycee,

No pity, but still very sorry for your loss.

I was/am on Klonopin also, have been since mid June, so about the same length as you, I think. I was started on 1mg. for insomnia, and have been up as high as 1.5mg at a couple of points. Started my taper in September, and am now at .5mg. I am dry cutting by .125mg every couple of weeks. This amounts to a 1/4 pill of .5mg pills. I am not working at the moment, but I have been relatively functional the whole time. I have had some emotional meltdowns over personal and relationship issues, but got thru it. My sleep seems to improve with each cut, go figure. My insomnia actually got worse over time before I began my taper, and I just instinctually felt it was the K that was causing it, so I believe you are correct in that assumption. :) 

Welcome to BB!

You should be getting some more experienced advice shortly

Linda

Hi

Not sure what your asking, but welcome. Generally taper at 10% every 7 to 14 days, many people work, the individual responses to tapering are quite variable, As long as you dont go faster than your body can handle you should be okay.

TC

Bobers

Hi Traycee,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I can put together a titration table for you. One of our former moderators used work privately with people titrating off benzos and reported many great successes, often with people that had failed miserably with a conventional taper by pill-splitting. Since Jana left, we have tried a couple of systems. The first, using a formula, proved to be too daunting for many tapering off. So, I developed a system with an Excel spreadsheet. It will work with any taper rate and any sized cylinder (with any size increments). The table will be available to you to online, and you can print it off too. The table tells you how much take each day, and when a new reduction is required by the schedule. Of course, a schedule is just plan, you can and should adjust it if you feel that it is too fast or slow. It will give you the confidence to taper, as there is not maths required. ;)

A taper plan would be awesome!!

Where do I find it...or can you help me?

Thank you so much.

I appreciate all the responses and want to do this right with minimal side effects :)

Hi,

You may be able to just split pills for the moment and then titrate later if you need to. What size are your pills? Clonazepam is available in 0.5mg tablets which can be split into quarters. If you can't get hold of the 0.5mg tablets, then it might better to start titration now. Post up the details so that we have a better idea of your situation.

We generally suggest that people start off by trying a taper rate of about 10% every 1-2 weeks, and see how they go - the rate can always be adjusted later. Depending upon how you feel and your experience of previous cuts, I'll work out an equivalent titration rate for you, and post up a link to your personal titration schedule.

So, what dose are your tablets, and what rate do you thin will suit you (just post up your history, and we'll help work out a suitable taper rate).

Colin-

I do have 1mg and .5mg tablets.  Right now I take 1mg plus .5mg plus .25mg to equal 1.75mg all at night....and I sleep a whopping 3 hours..hahah.  So I can make a first cut of .125. That would take me to 1.5....and more than 10%?  I need to be able to handle working....that is the only reason I thought titration would be easier on my body.  I think I answered the questions.  Again I have only been on this stuff since June but I know that my body is in tolerence :(.  I guess I will try my first cut next week?  I would like to try a 9 month taper or sooner if possible.

Thank you in advance....I really appreciate the time invested and guidance.

T

Hi Traycee,

So that we can check your figures, can you tell us the individual fractions you take, and the dose of the tablet they are taken from. It is quite common for people miscalculate their actual dose when they are withdrawing.

You stand every chance of tapering off well before 9 months. Although your dose is sizeable, it is far from large. ;)

Ok-

Here goes.  I take all this at night before bed.....1mg + .5mg + 1/2 or .5mg (.25mg)  Total amount is 1.75mg.  I have been on this does for about 2 weeks...my original does was 1.5mg.  I am so confused...because I do HAVE to work....what the best way to do this is?  I also am going on vacation January 7th and want to be somewhat stabile and not freaking out while with my family.

Thanks-

T

Hi Tracee,

Re: Eljay's posts above, a cut of 0.125mg (a quarter of a 0.5mg tablets) from a dose of 1.75mg would take you down to a dose of 1.625mg - a cut of just 7% or so. This should be manageable.

If you are feeling reasonably OK, then you might now try a cut of 0.125mg. Keep a log of how you feel, because this will help you with planning future cuts. Let me know if this becomes too much at any stage and we can then put together  a titration schedule for you.

If you are feeling nervous about a particular situation or event, it is fine to halt the taper schedule and resume afterwards. If you wish to avoid titration during the time you are seeing your family, and you have already started titration (and don't wish to use titration whilst visiting), then we can try to plan the schedule so that you are at a dose that equals a convenient amount that can be achieved purely by pill-splitting at the time. You can continue to titrate again after your visit.

How many people are like deathly afraid when starting?  I am so scared....but I want off this so badly.  Ionly see stories of pain and suffereing where people lose their jobs, family and friends.....I am so afraid of that.  Then I hear about the withdrawals.  Any words of wisdom on this?

Thanks-

I am going to start something (coming off on Friday or Sat of this week)

How many people are like deathly afraid when starting?  I am so scared....but I want off this so badly.  Ionly see stories of pain and suffereing where people lose their jobs, family and friends.....I am so afraid of that.  Then I hear about the withdrawals.  Any words of wisdom on this?

Thanks-

First of all congratulations on making the decision to get off benzos.  I personally know many people who have successfully gotten off of benzos and kept their jobs and personal life intact while tapering.  I have one friend who is a TV producer  (very stressful job) that got through her taper without it having any affect on her job or marriage.    The key is to surround yourself with support.  You can get that from support groups like this one, family, friends, good doctors, etc.  Try to maintain a positive attitude even when the going gets tough.  My faith was essential to me getting through this difficult time in my life.  I prayed more the last eleven months then ever did in my entire life and it really helped me.  There is so much you can do to make this time easier on you.  I strongly recommend a slow controlled taper.  Let us know if you need help with that regard.

Best wishes.

Sandy :)

Thanks-

Hi Traycee,

The thing to remember is that all those that taper off without too many problems are unlikely to seek us out and make posts about their experiences. We tend to attract and hear from those that have struggled the most. Having said this, the vast majority of our members manage to taper off without too many problems. Most of those do have personal problems and are unable to work were already experiencing these problems before they arrived here, and most of these go on to a better life once they have recovered from their benzo taper. I understand why you are scared, but there is everything to look farward to as well. So long as you follow a sensible taper plan, you will probably taper off without experiencing too many problems.

Thanks ya'll!

I am going to do water titration at a pretty slow-medium rate which will take a year but I want the least amount of stress possible...it is still considered to be a medium taper.  A year seems like such a long time to suffer and that is what freaks me the most.  But I need to stay positive...I just got off the phone with my husband and he said T...you are making this SO big!  Try to stay in the day...and we will get through this...and I will be by your side  :o.  I start on Saturday....I guess maybe I will start a blog to keep anyone posted on my nuttiness..hahah.

I really need to learn to live in the moment....and keep turning it over to the Lord!

Thanks-

T

I m sure I will be need you all here real soon  :smitten:

Colin-

Could you provide me with a plan?  I take 1.75mg at the time and would like to do this over a year or so.  Is this possible?  I am planning on maybe speeding up after I get back from vacation but need to be on a dry does around 1.625 by Jan1st.

Thanks-

T

Traycee,

Just take it day by day.  As you taper, you will learn to "listen" to your body and know wether you are ready to cut again.  I know you feel like you have your work cut out for you but it will be so worth it in the end.  We only have one chance at life down here so we mine as well try to enjoy it to it's fullest and that means getting off of benzos. :thumbsup:

Best of luck with your taper!

Colin-

Could you provide me with a plan?  I take 1.75mg at the time and would like to do this over a year or so.  Is this possible?  I am planning on maybe speeding up after I get back from vacation but need to be on a dry does around 1.625 by Jan1st.

Thanks-

T

Traycee,

I'm sure Colin will be checking in soon.  He's feeling a bit under the weather right now. :sick:

Thanks.

HI Traycee,

I haven't had a chance to welcome you here, so now is the time.  ;)

I just wanted to share my experience of titrating with you. First of all, I was also freaking out before starting it. I've been on klonopin much, much longer than you, and was in a realitively bad state due to years of tolerance w/d. Well, I didn't realize what it was, really...

I knew I had to get off of it, period. I hate the drug and what it's doing to me. So, Colin made me a titration schedule which I am following now. I am going very, very slowly, because I cannot afford not to hold a job. So far, so good. In August, before I found BBo, I did a .625 mg cut and boom - it hit me really hard. For many, it's a small cut, for me it was big. Now, by using titration and cutting little bit every or every other day, I don't feel those jolts like I did in August.

So, before starting the taper I was very, very anxious. Then, the first month into it was actually very good (sure I suffered from tolerance w/d). I was finally on the path of hope and that was a great feeling. In a way, I was happy that I am finally doing something about this nightmare. Keep that in mind as you taper down. You will be fine. And you have a husband who will be there for you. Sometimes, all we need is someone to hold our hand for awhile. Lots of people don't even have that, so this forum is great.

When Colin gets a chance he will send you a schedule.

Good luck Tracyee. We are here for you.

Tanya

T,

If you try to see the finish line before you even start the race (but it's not a race, just a metaphor ;D), you will feel overwhelmed.

Baby Steps does it!!

Linda

Colin-

Thanks-

T

Hi Tracee,

I need to know a few things before I can compile the taper schedule for you.

• What is your daily dose?

• What dose tablets do you use?

• What is your present dose, and the number of tablets (or fractions of tablets) you use for your daily dose?

• What taper rate do you wish to follow? - Post to this thread with your tapering experience thus far if you need feedback to help you decide. 10% over 10 days is probably about average.

• What measuring equipment will you be using? I need to know the units, and the increments indicated. We recommend 100ml measuring cylinders marked with 1ml increments. Your pharmacist will probably be able to source one for you, or they are available online.

Thank you for the support everyone...true I just hate the unknown and this could all be fine......my main concern is being able to function at work because I get hit with anxiety and insomnia.

Colin:Thank you...I heard you were not feeling well :(

This is my information:

I have 250 ml cylinder....which I can only use 100ml

My does is one time daily 1.75mg at bed time

1 mg pill + .5mg pill and .25 (.5mg pill)

I guess less than 10% taper rate

As long as this is bearable :)  I have to worky :(

Thank you.