Gabapentin-please respond

[Ma...]

For those who havd taken it, how long did it take for your body to get used to it? What we’re your original symptoms? How long until they went away? Did it help your anxiety? TY

It does help with my anxiety but not at all the same way as a benzo.  It won’t do anything for a panic attack or acute anxiety.  It sort of gives me a feeling of stability.

Thank you-was it difficult when you 1st started it? Does it calm you?

No, it wasn’t difficult to adjust to.  It takes a couple hours to kick in.  Yes, it’s calming.

It is somewhat calming but not like a benzo.  Benzos completely relax my muscles, body and mind.  I found Gabapentin is more of subdued calm.

Right now a subdued calm sounds like Christmas! What would you suggest as a starting dose?

Maybe that’s not the best way to put it.  I was just saying it takes a little of the edge off anxiety and helps with sleep.  Nothing for all my muscular stuff and 50 other symptoms.  Very, very far from a magic bullet for me.  It’s a subdued effect compared to benzos. 

Right now a subdued calm sounds like Christmas! What would you suggest as a starting dose?

As with everything, small as you can which means 100mg.  It did give me nasty withdrawals when I stopped it but they were over in like 4 days.

I take 100 mg 3x per day and it levels me out a bit.  I don't really want to increase tho my dr said to go up.  I don't need to.

Alycat

Yes start with 100mg and see what happens.  I may take 1-2 times a week, as needed if symptoms get really bad.  That’s enough to help me sleep.  Don’t want to use it consistently because the withdrawals can be painful.  And, it’s not a cure-all by any stretch.  I know from experience. 

I’m such a dork-took 25 mg and had an anxiety attack 30 minutes later, which I am sure I caused all by my benzo-self 🤦‍♀️. Will try again tonight! Thank you for all of the replies!!!

I’m such a dork-took 25 mg and had an anxiety attack 30 minutes later, which I am sure I caused all by my benzo-self 🤦‍♀️. Will try again tonight! Thank you for all of the replies!!!

First time I take a medication I always try and take at bedtime if that’s possible.  Don’t have to worry about it ruining your day and making yourself anxious.

Mary1

Gabapentin 100 mg helps me drift right off to sleep.  It usually has sedative effects.  When I wake up at 2 Am I take 100 mg and go back to sleep with a relaxation video.  Im sorry you had a panic attack but could it possibly have been because of reading of the other counts of negative effects?  Just wondering ....

I hope you find some relief,  I have.

Alycat

OK, Mary, I will chime in here because you know I have the drug info.

I recently got genetic tests done like you, but I got them analyzed by a genetic scientist who specializes in adverse drug reactions, and this was written about Gabapentin: "Gabapentin is not appreciably metabolized in humans."

Mic drop. I was SHOCKED.

OK, Mary, I will chime in here because you know I have the drug info.

I recently got genetic tests done like you, but I got them analyzed by a genetic scientist who specializes in adverse drug reactions, and this was written about Gabapentin: "Gabapentin is not appreciably metabolized in humans."

Mic drop. I was SHOCKED.

Horizant, a long-acting synthetic gabapentin, was created to ameliorate the faulty way gabapentin is metabolized. Gabapentin is a bit of a see-saw; it doesn't absorb as readily or steadily as other meds. On the other hand, it also isn't metabolized by the liver, so while many meds are and can damage this key organ, gabapentin is considered much safer.

I have fewer reservations about the use of gabapentin because of this. I think our bodies prefer the randomness of foods that are natural and herbals/medicines that take some work to digest and metabolize. In other words, out bodies like work!!

I'm following this string just because I'd like to hear from people using gabapentin during their recovery too. I have some but don't want to use it until I know more!! Hope more peeps chime in!!  ;D

Well….took 75 msg yesterday afternoon and got in bed and just held on until it passed-was awful. About 7 hours later was relaxed, but I always am late at night. Was in bed a total of 18 HOURS and I never do that. Curses the Universe 👊!!!!!!!

Is this something that your body has to get used to, say in a 2 week period? And, yes, I am probably going to try 50 msg later…I have to find something to bridge my way to recovery….🤞🤞🤞

It’s just not going to work for me 😢 I know this is the wrong thread, but is month 9 like a ‘golden’ month for recovery??? Any Success Stories come to mind from any of you reading?

I went on 300 mg at bedtime for sleep about halfway through my taper. It helped, but wasn't perfect. As Alycat said, it is sedative. It helps to knock down the glutamate excitotoxicity so I can relax somewhat, and get broken sleep. Not perfect, by any means. I am aiming to start weaning off of it in June, will be dropping by 100 mg a month, like other Buddies who took 300-400 mg a day did.

Are you looking for something to calm you down? I think it helps me to relax a little, I do better when I add 50 mg Hydroxyzine a couple days a week. Hydroxyzine is actually used for panic attacks and anxiety.

I'm currently taking 900mg of Gabapentin. I take each 300mg pill 3 times a day, about 7 hours apart. I am feeling the best I have felt since going off clonazepam in October 2022.  Since that time I've been on a steady dose of Gabapentin throughout my withdrawal period. I started feeling normal after 3 months. I feel I'm still in recovery however.  :)

Hello Pepito Thomas :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I am glad you joined the community, congratulations on being benzofree. I am pleased your feeling better and the gabapentin is helping you. Withdrawal symptoms are temporary and do go with time.  We are here for you, take a look around the forum,  ask questions, you’ll get plenty of support and encouragement here.

I will leave a few links for you to check out.

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

Members can respond with the best information if they know your medication history.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita