96% alcohol did not dissolve my 10mg Valium pill

[st...]

I have a limited number of 10mg Valium pills. I am forced to quit, without the luxury of cutting back less than 0.5mg of dose. I want to use 1ml alcohol to 9ml water plus the 10mg pill, so I can extract 1ml of the substance and be left with 9mg active substance. I will keep the remaining 1ml solution to add it to the next day of 1ml leftover so that I can reuse the backup when reaching 9ml of surplus. When I reach 5mg I will reduce by 0.5mg.

I have read that 1ml 40% alcohol is not enough to dissolve a 10mg Valium pill. According to the ratio I should use 20ml 40-50% alcohol for 10mg Valium, which is huge and messes up my titration. But I read a comment that if 96% alcohol is used, then 1ml 96% alcohol dissolves 10mg Valium.

Initially I put 1ml 50% alcohol over a pill and within 5 minutes the pill was crumbled, but after adding 9ml of water, even though I stirred intensely, the filler on the bottom did not dissolve into small particles. I tried 1ml 96% alcohol over another 10mg Valium pill and surprisingly even after 30 minutes the pill did not crumble. It didn't even soften. It was rock hard, as if the alcohol was blocking the disintegration. I was completely amazed. Then I added a little water over the pill in the alcohol and the pill started to crumble. Then I added more alcohol over the water and the particles on the bottom became very small and very few.

Should I first put the pill in water and let it disintegrate on the bottom and then add the alcohol, allowing the pill to dissolve and then adding the rest of the water? Or add 1ml 96% alcohol with 1ml of water over the pill and then add the rest? Or crush the pill, then adding the 96% alcohol and then adding 1ml of water and mixing till I get very small particles and then adding the rest of the water. I just don't want to waste pills.

Hello str8nc00l, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve being forced to taper but you have a good plan. Out of all of the benzodiazepines, Valium appears to be the most soluble in liquid but it still won’t dissolve, the best you can hope for is a suspension, not a solution but this shouldn’t stop you from completing a successful taper.  The only way to achieve a true solution is in a lab and most of our members don’t have this.

You can achieve success by agitating your liquid before drawing out the dose to be discarded and agitating it again before drinking it, be sure to add more water to get the granules on the side of the container.  We don’t have any way of knowing how long these suspension will stay viable but members have reported being able to keep them for about a week.

You should be fine to use the water to alcohol ratio you originally wanted and crushing the pill before you begin can save time.  The higher the alcohol content the better but as long as you manage to ingest all of the pill fragments, you should be fine.

Pamster