Clonazepam taper

[Lo...]

Hey first of all this group is amazing. I can't thank all of you enough. Anyway I have been on Clonazepam for 3 months now. I had some neurological issues starting mid january and was started at .5mg  twice per day. From mar 13 to feb 3 I was an inpatient at a neuropsychiatric hospital. When I arrived I was down to .25 3x per day. I had no guidance on the medication at this point. So after three weeks in the hospital they had me down form .25 3x per day to .125 2x per day. It's been two weeks since I was discharged and I just now feel like I'm coming up for air. I think they cut me down way too quick and needless to say it was hell. All the doctors where telling me the withdrawal was in my head and it's too low of a dose and basically I was just afraid to stop cold turkey. So now I am here for advice on the next step because I don't trust them at all. I am determined to continue getting off this medication with as little negative effects as possible because honestly I don't think I'm strong enough to go through that again.

So my question. What would a reasonable micro taper schedule look like starting at .125 2x per day. I am prepared to buy any equipment, scales etc. whatever will make this as soft and pain free as possible. I'm sure I could find an answer if I did enough digging but because of my neurological issues it's extremely difficult to read or focus for very long and this post alone is taking everything I have. I appreciate any advice anyone may have. Thank you all so very much.

I'm so sorry your doctors treated you that way, it makes me angry when I see what they do to people like us who have difficulty stopping these medications.  :tickedoff:

What method appeals to you more, weighing your doses or dropping them into liquid, both are good.

Hey Pamster thanks for your response! From the little I've managed to research it seems like dropping into liquid might be easier? But honestly I'm up for whatever makes this easier. Also I'm not really sure what a good timeline is to aim for but I guess that depends on my symptoms? 

I watched this video

about using water. Seems simple enough but according to the video it would be almost a year for the taper. I'm sure I don't need anywhere near that long. I've got 70 doses of .25 left. I figure that's got to be more than enough for me to get off after being on for 3 months. I understand the process I just have no idea how to alter it for my own schedule. Or what my schedule would even be. Anyway as I said I'm up for whatever is going to be the most pain free. Thanks again for your help!

I didn't taper but quite a few members consider liquid to be easier method and as far as the timeline of your taper, its a very individual process so your taper will take what it takes for you.  Using your symptoms to guide you is the best approach, you can have a plan in place but adapting to your needs will hopefully keep you functional.  I know the thought of a long taper is a burden but if you look at it like you're using the drug to maintain your life and productivity, you can maybe change how you look at it.

I'm going to ask someone to drop by with experience, hopefully you can work up a plan together.  Are your pills .5?

Thank you thank you thank you! Just a little guidance is all I need. It's scary to go through something like this without even being able to trust the doctors. And yes my pills are .5 scored in the middle. I'm not sure what my first target should even be. I've heard 10% over two weeks but I don't know if that applies to people who have been on for years as opposed to just a few months? Maybe10% a week? I don't want it to take longer than necessary but I'm absolutely terrified of going too quick

Pamster asked me to stop by.

I see you want to do a liquid taper in less than a year.

Tell me the total drug you take each day and how long you want the taper to last.  6 months?

Thank you so much. I'm up for liquid or dry taper with a scale. I take .25 per day split into two doses. Part of my problem is I'm not sure how long a reasonable taper should last. I've been on it for 3 months so far. I've got 70 .25 doses left so whatever I can do with that I suppose. I could probably squeeze one more prescription from my family doctor if I need too. Again thank you so very much

If you can get one more script so you have at least 90 doses, then here is a good 3 month taper.

Each morning, put your benzo into a jar.

You can add a few drops of vodka to help break it down (if you skip then, then stir harder).

Add 90 mL of water and stir hard.

For the taper:

Day 1, remove 1 mL of mixture and drink the rest

Day 2, remove 2 mL of mixture and drink the rest

Day 3, remove 3 mL of mixture and drink the rest

Continue for 90 days.

You can drink it all at once or sip it slowly over 24 hours, whichever makes your symptoms most tolerable.

When finished, rinse the jar and drink the rise water.

If you cannot get another script, then you can do this with 70 doses (just start with 70 mL of water).

MOST IMPORTANT - you got on benzos for a reason.  You must learn non-benzo ways to deal with your anxiety or the anxiety will trigger symptoms and make things worse.  Get on YouTube.  Learn natural ways to reduce anxiety.

God bless you. I appreciate anyone who can take the time to help out a person who can do nothing in return. From the bottom of my heart. Thank you.