Abnormal Muscle Pain/Stiffness. Is this normal in benzo withdrawal/taper?

[bl...]

I went to the gym for the first time in awhile today. I felt great during my cardio, so I went on to lift some weights, specifically upper body. It was going okay, and then slowly I noticed that my arms were unable to bend and move the way they normally do. At first I thought it was some weird strain that happened, but then it just kept getting worse. The pain and stiffness got so bad that I could barely move my arms at all, and if I moved them any my arms would ache with extreme pain. Not in my lower forearm, but the upper arm and shoulders. I stopped once it got blatantly obvious that something was wrong and got a little worried since I could hardly move my arms at all. The pain got better after about an hour after stopping, but even after 12 hours I am still getting the same pain, just more mild now. Is this a possible benzo symptom? I've never had this happen in all of my time lifting weights prior to now, and so I'm a little concerned. Any help is appreciated!

Hi Bluewave!

I'm really sorry you're struggling like this. Not being able to tap into those resources that lifted our spirits before the drugs turned on us can be really discouraging. I know, for me, the gym was always a safe, sure-shot at feeling better. Now I'm lucky to even make it through the door so I've had to take a step back and modify my expectations. I can't push myself to the limits I used to so I'm practicing giving myself grace and celebrating the small wins (sometimes I can only stretch).

Your question struck me because I've experienced this. For me it feels like a buildup of lactic acid. Sometimes I will get this sensation from doing very minimal movement/no movement at all. Sometimes my legs are so sore like I spent my entire day on the leg press when I only sat at a desk. I've seen others post about this too.

I train Brazillian Jiu Jitsu and before I was privy to the complications of benzos, I used to get really alarmed because my arms (forearms for me but I was using those muscles a lot) would be sooooo stiff and sore after training. Sometimes to the point where I couldn't form a fist without intense pain. It went away after a few hours and the next day it came back in a way that felt like sore muscles. My recovery was always much more brutal and longer than my teammates, which I always chalked up to getting older (I'm in my mid 30s) but now, looking back, I believe there was a lot of tolerance withdrawal at play. I think there is a really good chance you're experiencing withdrawal while lifting especially since there is a clear link between BW and muscular sensations.

Listen to your body. Keep moving, keep going + know you're not alone  :smitten:

• 2 months later...
I am so very sorry you are experiencing this, but I feel your pain because I have it too.  Right now it seems to only be in my dominate arm (right), but is so bad it is almost impossible for me to raise my arm up over my head.  I keep trying to push through the pain, but sometimes the muscles seem to "lock up" (for lack of a better explanation) and the pain is intense.  I have never had this before either.  I had it about 6 weeks ago and then it eased up.  Now it is back again with a vengeance which I would guess is one of the waves of withdrawal.  I am currently "holding" at the level I am at before tapering anymore.  I hope this eases up for you and me both.

Yep. I have had it all over my body. Like someone is twisting and pulling my muscles 24/7. Muscle pain and stiffness are very common. In my case I think it is dopamine imbalance. Benzos make dopamine surge. Then you are off and chemicals have to rebalance themselves.