My Tinnitus- Very Afraid

[Pe...]

I haven’t shared this before. In January, 2020, I had surgery and woke up with tinnitus after the surgery. The first few months I wasn’t happy I had it, but was coping okay with it. In March we were in Palm Springs and had to come back to Canada early because of Covid. We strictly isolated for 2 weeks and at the end of the 2 weeks, I thought, I don’t feel very well. My tinnitus became louder and I developed terrible insomnia because of it. My doctors prescribed various “Z” drugs that didn’t work well and soon I had a severe depression. Then I was prescribed Remeron (which helped with sleep, but not depression) and Ativan came into the picture. Severe depression remained and I went away to treatment where they started clonazepam and Lexapro. Lexapro seemed to be helping, but then I developed a burning pain in my legs from that. Anyways, the rest of the story is too long to tell, but involved 3 other treatment centres, other antidepressants, Ketamine, and even some ECT- all ineffective. The one constant was the clonazepam. It took my husband and I to figure out the clonazepam was a big problem for me. (Actually last psychiatrist said, “Oh, clonazepam can cause or worsen depression and it can be hell to get off of) Anyways, I’ve been tapering just over a year and am 54.3% off. Over the last month my tinnitus has become louder and I believe is waking me at night. Absolutely terrified the tinnitus is going to get worse and worse- it’s what started this whole ordeal. I have at least another year to finish my taper and am so afraid after all this suffering, my tinnitus will be screaming loud and I don’t know how I will be able to cope with that. Any encouragement or positivity? I am so afraid. If you have any negative or discouraging comments/experiences, I respectfully ask that you not share them. I think I have shared with you how bad my mental state is. I am at my wit’s end. Thank you everyone for any help you can provide. Praying for us all. Also, my husband and I were thinking of a DMT to perhaps ease my withdrawal symptoms. Might that be better for my tinnitus too?

Have you reached out to naf1983?  He was prescribed all of this stuff for tinnitus.  He might have some helpful tips.  I actually just listened to his podcast where he and Emma discuss their tinnitus conditions.  Emma found some holistic approaches to dealing with tinnitus that have helped her.  I wonder if you stabilize it will resolve.  Maybe try and hold at this dose for a while and see if it resolves.  As you know, Klonopin messes up our CNS and causes tinnitus.  Maybe it’s just a symptom of the taper. 

I developed tinnitus after my second dose of Lexapro I've always put that as the blame for it as it was a rapid onset of the second day of Lexapro. I stopped that instantly however 90 plus days later I still have the tinnitus. I believe Lexapro and benzodiazepines are oxytoxic, so I've learned to live with it until I'm off all these medications and given a good 6 months to a year and it hasn't corrected then I will start to say it might not go away.

I ended up on rivotril due to seeking CBT for tinnitus stemming from cortisone withdrawal (although we did not realize I was in withdrawal). Tinnitus is unfortunately a symptom of ototoxicity and neurotoxicity like all our other symptoms so yes also for me these benzos have just made everything worse. I think everything you're doing to help yourself for the other symptoms also helps your tinnitus. Tinnitus can lower or go away at any time. I recommend TrebleHealth on Youtube. Tinnitus retraining therapy also seems a great option (I wish I had followed that instead of the therapy trap I fell for that ended me here).