Melatonin exacerbate symptoms?

[Cr...]

I’m dealing with a nasty cold combined with the taper and I quit smoking over a month ago.  I took melatonin to sleep last night and did anything but.  It woke me up and I’ve been sweating and shaking ever since with high agitation and anxiety. 

Hard to tell what could be causing what. Was it pure melatonin? Some products have Ashwaganda, L-Theanine, and other additives that may cause issues. I had a weird experience with CBD making symptoms worse when so many people swear by it.

Yes it can go the opposite for people I’ve heard even not on benzos. Also even things we tolerated thru our taper can sometimes turn on us at any point and stop working…. So if you notice a change for the bad and the change was trying the melatonin, I’d drop it and see if things are different tonight. Congrats on quitting smoking, that also might have some residual affects combined with when we get sick our symptoms can sometimes get exacerbated(immune system is tied in close with the nervous system). But things should go back to baseline once you get over the cold from what others have said so hang in there!! And yayyy for being so close to being off! Right there with ya! Hugs.

I’m dealing with a nasty cold combined with the taper and I quit smoking over a month ago.  I took melatonin to sleep last night and did anything but.  It woke me up and I’ve been sweating and shaking ever since with high agitation and anxiety.

Hi Crystal,

I'm so sorry the melatonin disrupted your sleep.  I do not find that hard to believe.  We can have all sorts of reactions to things that we may otherwise not during BW.

This is what I do know.  Some people have adverse reactions to taking melatonin.  Many can experience very lucid dreaming with a nightmare component.

Also, technically, melatonin should not be taken in conjunction with a sedative (benzo).  After cessation, it's use is fine.  But, during taper, it is not recommended.

Lastly, melatonin, although natural, interferes with the pituitary gland's production of melatonin.  Meaning, if you take melatonin regularly, the pituitary gland will eventually cease to produce it.  If you then stop taking the melatonin, it will take a while for one's sleep to return while the pituitary gland learns that it is required to start to produce melatonin again.

So, having said all of that, and I took it myself for months, it is probably not the best solution.  I know that because it is considered natural that we feel safe using it.  I believe that its use for those who perhaps work shift work, or to help correct a sleep cycle is good.  But, regular use does have an affect long term.

It is a personal choice, and some people really need to utilize whatever they can to get sleep.  But, while we are still taking benzos, I think it may not be the best option if it can be avoided.  Of course, this is just my opinion.  Maybe look up some information on it.

Warmly,

F

[ec...]

Hi,

how much Melatonin did you take and are you on any other drugs next to the Benzo?

Naf1983

Hi,

how much Melatonin did you take and are you on any other drugs next to the Benzo?

Naf1983

This cold is so nasty and now I’m convinced that I have COPD.  I was exposed to second hand smoke but smoked 3 pack years.  This combined with my drop in dose and the melatonin dose of 10 mg.  I’m set off in so many ways.  I’m not doing well today, haven’t slept and have many ideations.