Can benzo wd actually cause CFS?

[fu...]

Can benzo wd cause chronic fatigue syndrome? If so, the use of them are sometimes recommended for people with CFS due to its symptoms paradoxically?

I really want to know this, too. I just posted about mitochondria today. I think my mitochondria have been impacted and I have pretty severe CFS type symptoms. So, very interested if anyone has been able to reverse this. Really, really hope so.

I think it can cause CFS or at least those kinds of symptoms yes. Benzos can basically cause anything as they repress the entire system and they don't help heal anything so they do make everything worse for many people. So many issues they are used for can actually be created by it. I went in with insomnia and tinnitus and ended up way way worse.

[a1...]

Yes, they do cause CFS type symptoms, however, I don’t believe it’s actually true CFS, and whether it is or isn’t, doesn’t really make any difference.

Benzodiazepine induced neurological disorder will basically mimic symptoms of any illness you care to name. So I think it’s best to see it as a mimic, rather than getting caught up in worrying you’re developing all these new illnesses. Doing so just creates more fear, so just see it as a mimic. 

Thank you for all the answers!

WS, my concerns are the following: if is not only symptom mimic but real CFS, and if CFS has no cure, than it would be like recognizing a delibitating syndrome that makes it tough to keep my job.

If it's indeed CFS, I wonder if I should start thinking about early retirement. And for this, I am almost doubling my dose to be able to work one or two more years to be able to retire. It would be frustrating for me because I really love my profession.

Many things have no cure. It doesn't mean you cannot heal. Withdrawal has no cure, cancer has no cure, tinnitus has no cure... So many things that people do conquer regardless.

If you love your profession and can handle work combined with tapering/withdrawal I would definitely continue working. Anything that can give joy or healthy distraction.

Withdrawal has no cure? I mean, doesn't people get normal after some time? I am losing my motivation to taper if what you mean is that I will need to embrace an additional big degree of suffering due to wd for the rest of my life.

[a1...]

Thank you for all the answers!

WS, my concerns are the following: if is not only symptom mimic but real CFS, and if CFS has no cure, than it would be like recognizing a delibitating syndrome that makes it tough to keep my job.

If it's indeed CFS, I wonder if I should start thinking about early retirement. And for this, I am almost doubling my dose to be able to work one or two more years to be able to retire. It would be frustrating for me because I really love my profession.

I totally agree with Cocodot… and I think it’s important to recognise and acknowledge the way we are so easily caught up in worst case scenario type of thinking during this process. It’s like another symptom in itself. All of those worries and concerns have a direct impact on your CNS. The more time our minds spend consumed with fearful thought, the more destabilised the CNS becomes, the more pronounced the symptoms. It becomes a cycle. Just try and maintain as much positivity through this process as possible.

I think what Cocodot is saying is that you can’t just take a course of pills and be over withdrawal, it just has to run its course.

Yes, I definitely believe in and hope for healing. I just mean there's no "cure", no quick fix. That doesn't mean we remain sick. You cannot "cure" covid either. That doesn't mean that people don't get better. There's no "cure" for flue either :)

I really didn't mean to scare you or make you feel unmotovated, I'm sorry. I meant it as an uplifting thing. Even fybromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome can get better. My mom actually had the former years ago. She was smart. She did not go to doctors and got better in time.

No need to be sorry, Cocodot, I interpreted things wrong and even if my interpretation was correct I don't think you were rude or nothing alike.

I will try to keep a more positive mindset, the health anxiety is surely demanding and maybe doing more harm than good even with some new answers.

You people are very kind and patient with me in this and other threads and I am thankful for that.

This is a nebulous entity. I would avoid such labels. Benzo withdrawal makes folks tired as shit for sure, I spent 3 or so yrs after my detox battling fatigue, but it is not actually a disease, just a symptom. Mine went away.