Mitochondria- feeling very overwhelmed about this topic

[An...]

I know there have been posts about this in the past, but wondering if anyone has some recent experience with possible mitochondrial damage from benzos. I did a test last year that showed mitochondrial issues and am getting ready to do the OAT test this weekend. I'm really scared of the results and have so many symptoms of mito damage including muscle weakness that is extreme, brutal fatigue, blood sugar issues and lots of inflammation. Has anyone had this in withdrawal? Any idea if this kind of damage can be reversed or healed? Definitely feeling a bit freaked out by this topic. Online searches offer little information. Thank you.

I think we can unfortunately experience it but I cannot be of any assistance to you. Maybe NAD+ helps as it might jump start the mitochondria?

Oh yes had lots of what you mentioned and it’s gotten better over time as Ive gotten lower. I did oats test with Dr Krakoff up in Boston (teleconference as I’m in houston) and he’s works with a lot of benzo people so very familiar. He’s helped a lot get on track when labs showed they are really struggling…. My oats test showed pretty good even though I’ve had serious symptoms, so try not to worry! I’d consider getting Gary’s thoughts if you want someone who is versed with dealing with benzo situations; found him after listening to Geraldine Burns benzo withdrawal podcasts.

As for getting feedback on mitochondrial damage, I didn’t have results that showed there was damage but from what Dr Krakoff said who studied mitochondria, it sounded like it can be repaired but this convo was a year ago.

My blood sugar issues got much better lower I got in taper. My body wasn’t breaking down carbs properly and adrenal issues from all of this/ insulin issues. So changing to Leto type carbs for waffles I eat in morning helped tremendously. I don’t eat any other processed stuff- all while foods which helped me a lot. Sweet potatoes and brown rice, boiled chicken for breakfast lunch and dinner bc I needed a lot of protein for glucose issues (eat chicken and veggies first and  then rice or Sp last so body has protein in it first). I cut all sugar which helped, even zero Gatorade which was ‘sugar free’ but that has its own problems with the sugar substitute for me. I was such a sweet tooth person before all of this but making those changes, was very helpful. Klonopin can be the one that really screws with glucose and insulin and not sure why this is but others out there have struggled with this too that were/are on K.

The crushing fatigue is a common symptom. Lots of water bc we get so dehydrated, laying down and resting when your body feels the beginning of being worn out(get ahead of it; rest doesn’t mean have to be sleeping), and pink Himalayan sea salt on my food sprinkled or a dash in my water was helpful for my adrenals.

Great yo stay on top of blood work but remember our values can get really skewed in this. It can scare us and Drs can mid-advise bc they think there is an underlying condition when really it is the benzo that has changed our brains and the brain affects everything in our bodies. Always good to check things out but do own research too. As people taper off , get off and start to regulate, blood work tends to fall back in line. So know that this stuff isn’t permanent. It can take a long time that is super unfair, but body wants to get back to homeostasis.

Keep asking questions! Hugs and wishing you well.

Thanks, Boges11!!  Yes, Dr. Krakoff is the one who ordered my OAT test. I like him a lot. This mito stuff has me pretty worked up. Can barely walk. Need a wheelchair for any appointments. And I'm only able to walk around the houze at this point, not outside at all. The blood sugar stuff is crazy. Yes, all whole foods here, and down to about 11 foods that are tolerable. Trying so hard to do keto, but sometimes I feel like I need a gluten free english muffin.

So happy to hear you are improving as you go. This is so encouraging. I'm really hoping for the same. Fatigue has been pretty alarming recently. But sleep is poor, so that's part of the picture of course. Thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate your insight.

Rebecca - Dr. Krakoff is the naturopath outside of Boston recommended by Geraldine. He's great.

Me and you are very similar!! I was bedbound for a long time and had walker and can there once I could get up some. It was also only getting 1-3hrs sleep for two years, which ran my body down but I wouldn’t take anything else for sleep bc that’s how this mess got bad initially.

So I am now not using a walker, not bedbound but still take it easy bc I am no way back to myself so I don’t push it. I just still give my body s lot of down time but everything has improved in ways….

Try not to get scared bc my results showed a great oats result and initially I was very worried.

Sounds like you’re doing everything you can to help yourself and then we just gotta say hey I’m doing all that I can and there isn’t anything left for me to do except get thru each day. The good shifts just happen, out of nowhere thing change. Frustrating the amount of time it takes but I had to surrender to that instead of working myself up about it taking so long.

Just keep doing what you can. I was like you down to about 10 foods my body could tolerate and I’m adding some things back in and it’s going ok!! So know that will happen too. And eat the English muffin!! Eat what you enjoy sometimes and just know to put some protein with it and some good fat, avacado drizzle olive oil, almond butter if you can handle any of those, it’s great.

Hugs and anyone reading this…. You’ll get there. Just gotta be consistent bc brain craves consistency and help yourself with however you can.

This is hypochondria territory. Not a judgement but many of us read this BS stuff and it can make a person crazy with anxiety. I would suggest you stop doing it.

Yes, Boges11, we are similar, even the part about starting with ativan and then going to clon. So many of the same symptoms. Thanks for your encouragement. I have been thinking of getting a walker so I can be up some more. My journey began with an illness, too, and the ativan was given for insomnia. Ugh. I also have not taken anything else for sleep. Mine comes and goes. Past few nights have been decent. Hope you're feeling good today.

Hi Keagan, yup. I've never had hypochondria like this before. Totally agree about being careful googling, researching, etc. It can get way out of hand for sure. My mitochondrial stuff has only been a worry because my doc ran a test last year that showed notable mito deficiencies, after 4 months on a benzo. Based on that and the extreme fatigue Dr. Krakoff (great naturopath) wants to check it out further. Hoping all comes back ok and if not that the deficiencies are treatable.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Boges11, we are similar, even the part about starting with ativan and then going to clon. So many of the same symptoms. Thanks for your encouragement. I have been thinking of getting a walker so I can be up some more. My journey began with an illness, too, and the ativan was given for insomnia. Ugh. I also have not taken anything else for sleep. Mine comes and goes. Past few nights have been decent. Hope you're feeling good today.

I’m very similar to you in symptoms and A

Hi Keagan, yup. I've never had hypochondria like this before. Totally agree about being careful googling, researching, etc. It can get way out of hand for sure. My mitochondrial stuff has only been a worry because my doc ran a test last year that showed notable mito deficiencies, after 4 months on a benzo. Based on that and the extreme fatigue Dr. Krakoff (great naturopath) wants to check it out further. Hoping all comes back ok and if not that the deficiencies are treatable.

Does he also do micronutrient tests and food allergy testing?

[e4...]

Hi AnnaMeg

Although this may not seem applicable to your question, I think it’s very important for those of us in benzo withdrawal to understand what happens when we constantly flood our bodies with fear hormones (adrenaline and cortisol). These hormones are fine in normal amounts and short bursts, but in a sustained constant long term release, they cause an enormous amount of inflammation throughout our bodies, including the gut and the brain. Various systems in our bodies begin to labour and function poorly, which (through my own personal experience) shuts down detoxification pathways and even affects the body’s ability to tolerate taper reductions.

The question is - How do we manage to avoid constant stress and fear to keep inflammation low!?

Totally. I am with you on the stress front. My stomach still has not settled in 4 weeks but I know if I can lift out this dip it will go back to normal. I have tried doubling my probiotic but that has not worked. That adds to the symptoms list!

Great question, WS. I feel so much better at night when cortisol is lower. Less inflamed, clearer minded, etc. I do think meditation and mindfulness help and I do not practice these techniques enough for sure. But also agree with others that it is challenging to meditate when it a chemically induced heightened state. Just have to keep at it.

[e4...]

Hi AnnaMeg

I’ve meditated for many years, often up to 3hrs each day, but when in heightened states where chemical fear is flooding your system, I found it impossible to meditate because of the intrusive images and thoughts that would flood my mind. Meditation would make me worse… and I say that as someone who has experienced a deep transformation through such a practice. I would no longer even bother trying to meditate if I were in a heightened fear state. I think active distraction is a much better tool when in these deeper benzo induced fear states. I think meditation is something that we could all benefit from once we are in a more stabilised state, as it may well help play a role in maintaining that stabilisation, however, it only seems to have the reverse affect if we are already in a heightened fear state.

Hi AnnaMeg

Although this may not seem applicable to your question, I think it’s very important for those of us in benzo withdrawal to understand what happens when we constantly flood our bodies with fear hormones (adrenaline and cortisol). These hormones are fine in normal amounts and short bursts, but in a sustained constant long term release, they cause an enormous amount of inflammation throughout our bodies, including the gut and the brain. Various systems in our bodies begin to labour and function poorly, which (through my own personal experience) shuts down detoxification pathways and even affects the body’s ability to tolerate taper reductions.

The question is - How do we manage to avoid constant stress and fear to keep inflammation low!?

The question of the day. Interestingly, my inflammatory blood tests come back normal and I have had Akathisia for months. I don't even know how I am alive at this point with the extreme adrenaline level.

[e4...]

Hi AnnaMeg

The question of the day. Interestingly, my inflammatory blood tests come back normal and I have had Akathisia for months. I don't even know how I am alive at this point with the extreme adrenaline level.

I’m glad they came back in normal range, Rebecca. …… small mercies, hey.

I think the results probably suggest you still having a reasonably healthy gut/microbiome at this stage, as inflammation tends to develop in the gut and extend outward as the digestive tract gradually becomes impaired through an overabundance of these stress hormones.