Ear fullness sensation after more than 2 weeks

[fu...]

It started the day after I drank some wine at a karaoke bar (in the day I was ok).

Now I have this feeling of muffled hearing and ear fullness on the left ear despite having symmetrical audiograms and no earwax to remove according to two ENTs.

Is this a symptom?

I worried about this before. I was on prednisone for ear pressure difference (withdrawal that I didn't know existed led to benzo) but tbh the pressure difference was already gone and it was merely that clogged feeling that was left. So I think it should be fine. Otherwise you could ask to get tubes (I wish I had been smart enough about prednisone and asked the ENT for tubes, my CNS would still be healthy).

I had this symptom, I woke up and thought maybe it was an ear infection. I ended up getting prescribed and taking one dose of prednisone, it caused a severe headache and I didn't take it again. Symptoms resolved in about 2 weeks for me. Awful feeling, I couldn't hear I was disoriented. Mine started after have one beer, the one beer was the point I realized how damaged I was.

I worried about this before. I was on prednisone for ear pressure difference (withdrawal that I didn't know existed led to benzo) but tbh the pressure difference was already gone and it was merely that clogged feeling that was left. So I think it should be fine. Otherwise you could ask to get tubes (I wish I had been smart enough about prednisone and asked the ENT for tubes, my CNS would still be healthy).

Can you elaborate more about this tubes? So the symptom you experienced is from prednisone wd and not benzo wd... Sorry, I didn't understand if you felt it during benzo wd.

I have felt it again yes. I realized it's all the same though. All these meds impact the brain so the symptoms are the same/similar. Doesn't matter if it's from an antibiotic or benzo or anything else. An ENT can make a hole in your ear and place a tube in it so the pressure inside the ear equals the one outside the ear. You just can't be under water with your ears then unless you have special earplugs.

Is this symptom generally permanent to consider more extreme measured such as putting tubes in the eardrums? I hope this goes away...

Is this symptom generally permanent to consider more extreme measured such as putting tubes in the eardrums? I hope this goes away...

I had an audiology exam, and had no new hearing loss. I recovered shortly after that. No change noticed, and I just woke up one morning and it was gone. Doc did notice some swelling in my ear drum, thats why he gave me prednisone  I would still suggest to speak to a doctor, as your case could be very differnt from mine, but mine recovered with no issues fairly quickly.

I don't think you need tubes. It's not permanent. I just meant that if you need to fly and you are worried, you could get a tympanogram done by an ENT or audiologist and then if there would be measurable pressure difference between the inside and outside of your ear, which likely won't, tubes could be an alternative to cortisone. I sure wish I had told the ENT this summer I was med sensitive. I would have rather had tubes for my real clogged ears than crazy meds and even worse drugs as a result.

I had an audiology exam, and had no new hearing loss. I recovered shortly after that. No change noticed, and I just woke up one morning and it was gone. Doc did notice some swelling in my ear drum, thats why he gave me prednisone  I would still suggest to speak to a doctor, as your case could be very differnt from mine, but mine recovered with no issues fairly quickly.

It's been more than 3 weeks since it happened. Do you think prednisone is still worth it? They generally give high doses such as 60mg and taper when there is some kind of trauma or hearing issue. Prednisone scares me a lot as I am still very symptomatic and there are some horror stories too. Which dose did you take? You took only one pill?

Do you think in your case prednisone was necessary/would you take it if you could go back in time?

I don't think you need tubes. It's not permanent. I just meant that if you need to fly and you are worried, you could get a tympanogram done by an ENT or audiologist and then if there would be measurable pressure difference between the inside and outside of your ear, which likely won't, tubes could be an alternative to cortisone. I sure wish I had told the ENT this summer I was med sensitive. I would have rather had tubes for my real clogged ears than crazy meds and even worse drugs as a result.

Have you every done an tympanometry? They generally do together the acoustic reflex test that is crazy loud imo reaching 100dBs more or less. The only time I did it I went out with a tinnitus spike that took days to go away. There are even reports on TinnitusTalk about permanent tinnitus caused or worsened due to the test and I totally can see that happening to anyone.

I wonder if flying without doing this test is like playing with fire. I bought Mack's FlightGuard ear plugs that might do the trick.

I am going to travel in 5 days so maybe I have limited options for booking tests too. Idk what to do. Am I risking permanent damaging traveling without knowing how my middle ear is? The cost of this information might be too much... I hate all these dilemmas that we have to face on benzo brains and I definitely don't want any corticosteroid, I've read enough about it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I know you asked the other buddy and I hope he will chime in soon but I personally don't think prednisone is worth the risk. They typically make you take it at least one week for this at high dosage (min 60 mg). Benzos and prednisone don't go well together. Prednisone is what ruined my CNS before the benzo did. I would definitely not do it without a tympanogram.

Have you every done an tympanometry? They generally do together the acoustic reflex test that is crazy loud imo reaching 100dBs more or less. The only time I did it I went out with a tinnitus spike that took days to go away. There are even reports on TinnitusTalk about permanent tinnitus caused or worsened due to the test and I totally can see that happening to anyone.

I wonder if flying without doing this test is like playing with fire. I bought Mack's FlightGuard ear plugs that might do the trick.

I am going to travel in 5 days so maybe I have limited options for booking tests too. Idk what to do. Am I risking permanent damaging traveling without knowing how my middle ear is? The cost of this information might be too much... I hate all these dilemmas that we have to face on benzo brains and I definitely don't want any corticosteroid, I've read enough about it.

I had a quite one, not those beep tests done. My ENT told me flying was fine as planes are generally well pressurised. Perhaps try to avoid diving or going to mountains to be safe.

I know you asked the other buddy and I hope he will chime in soon but I personally don't think prednisone is worth the risk. They typically make you take it at least one week for this at high dosage (min 60 mg). Benzos and prednisone don't go well together. Prednisone is what ruined my CNS before the benzo did. I would definitely not do it without a tympanogram.

I agree with you on prednisone. I didn't understand your last statement. What would you definitely not do without a tympanogram?

I had a quite one, not those beep tests done. My ENT told me flying was fine as planes are generally well pressurised. Perhaps try to avoid diving or going to mountains to be safe.

Hmm, maybe you did only tympanometry without the acoustic reflex? Just the pressure thing without the loud beeps? It's common to apply both tests together. Is tympanometry informative enough without acoustic reflex test? Oh, I am almost skipping the test and just traveling but if I get a worsened hearing I will likely beat my head against the wall full of regret. Maybe the Mack's FlightGuard earplugs are enough though.

Yes, I had no hearing problems so I had a quiet tympanogram without those beeps done separately to just measure the pressure. I meant that even if you'd consider prednisone I wouldn't do it without a test telling you to take it. It really is what brought me to benzo hell. I had hearing better than the average 8 yo apparently but benzos and tapering seems ototoxic so I guess I'll lose some hearing. I don't understand why they recommended this as safe sleeping aid for tinnitus patients, crazy. Oh well, I hope I'll taper safely and heal.