Tried Coffee Again...

[he...]

Well, I decided to try coffee again after talking to some people who are tapering and can tolerate a cup a day. I'd been off caffeine for about a year and a half, just before I started tapering. I tried decaf about a year ago, and it didn't sit well, but now that I'm very low in dose and had been drinking cascara tea for a couple weeks, which has about the same amount of caffeine as green tea, I thought I'd try some coffee. Two Thursdays ago I had a half cup and did the same the next day after it didn't seem to hurt me and actually seemed to make me more focused than usual. The next day, I had a full cup, because we were going on a daytrip and stopped to get breakfast at a place with fresh, locally roasted coffee. It was so good. This day, I had some increased symptoms, but I just passed it off as what would've happened normally. I didn't make the connection to the caffeine until this past week when symptoms just seemed to get worse by the day. I decided to cut the coffee this past Friday, and by this weekend, I was in a full-blown wave. Today, DR returned, a symptom I haven't had since last summer. It freaked me out, but I really think it was the caffeine. My body just isn't ready for it, and if it did indeed cause these symptoms, I'm okay cutting it again, as good as it was to have coffee back in my life.

Anyone have any similar experiences? From what I've read, caffeine can modulate the GABAA receptors and can even act like a negative allosteric modulator or an antagonist on GABA, which is the opposite of what a benzo does. I think I can tolerate a small amount, but a cup of coffee just isn't in the cards for me right now.

I think many of us find our systems are so highly sensitized in withdrawal and afterward that caffeine is just too strong a stimulant.  I think your theory connecting coffee with your symptoms is totally plausible.  I had to stay away from caffeine in withdrawal and haven't had any since because I know I'm sensitive to it and don't want to risk a setback - so I get where you're coming from.  I certainly miss the deliciousness and ritual aspect but it isn't worth it. 

Coffee is out of the cards for me, also. Definitely a correlation between the caffeine and my symptoms. I haven't had a cup in a few years and won't for another few years, well after I've jumped off and had some recovery time.

Though I was never a big fan off coffee, I also miss it to an extent.

Well, I decided to try coffee again after talking to some people who are tapering and can tolerate a cup a day. I'd been off caffeine for about a year and a half, just before I started tapering. I tried decaf about a year ago, and it didn't sit well, but now that I'm very low in dose and had been drinking cascara tea for a couple weeks, which has about the same amount of caffeine as green tea, I thought I'd try some coffee. Two Thursdays ago I had a half cup and did the same the next day after it didn't seem to hurt me and actually seemed to make me more focused than usual. The next day, I had a full cup, because we were going on a daytrip and stopped to get breakfast at a place with fresh, locally roasted coffee. It was so good. This day, I had some increased symptoms, but I just passed it off as what would've happened normally. I didn't make the connection to the caffeine until this past week when symptoms just seemed to get worse by the day. I decided to cut the coffee this past Friday, and by this weekend, I was in a full-blown wave. Today, DR returned, a symptom I haven't had since last summer. It freaked me out, but I really think it was the caffeine. My body just isn't ready for it, and if it did indeed cause these symptoms, I'm okay cutting it again, as good as it was to have coffee back in my life.

Anyone have any similar experiences? From what I've read, caffeine can modulate the GABAA receptors and can even act like a negative allosteric modulator or an antagonist on GABA, which is the opposite of what a benzo does. I think I can tolerate a small amount, but a cup of coffee just isn't in the cards for me right now.

Coffee in the late stages of my protracted withdrawal, have been a lifesaver. It gives me a much needed mood lift, increase my focus and helps me to pass time. In the beginning i couldnt even have 1 cup. Coffee is medicine to me. But I do know people might feel different about Coffee and there body. All the best, wish you a full recovery.

Coffee in the late stages of my protracted withdrawal, have been a lifesaver. It gives me a much needed mood lift, increase my focus and helps me to pass time. In the beginning i couldnt even have 1 cup. Coffee is medicine to me. But I do know people might feel different about Coffee and there body. All the best, wish you a full recovery.

Same here except  I’m drinking tea.  Didn’t get a lot of sleep last night (mind was racing) so I was feeling a bit sluggish this morning but after a nice cup of hot tea I’m feeling much better, but we’re all different. 

I tried my beloved Starbucks Mocha Frapachino 3 days ago-for he 1st time in 7 months! OMGOSH, it was de-licious!! Fast forward to an hour later-I was climbing the walls, manic, a nervous wreck 😳!

So, alas, another pleasure down the drain….

Thanks for all the replies. I can handle the bit of caffeine in cascara tea, but not the much larger amount in a cup of coffee. I'm going to abstain completely for now and get out of this wave. Yesterday was a bit better, but I still feel like I'm below my baseline, which unfortunately is pretty crappy already.

[ce...]

Thanks for all the replies. I can handle the bit of caffeine in cascara tea, but not the much larger amount in a cup of coffee. I'm going to abstain completely for now and get out of this wave. Yesterday was a bit better, but I still feel like I'm below my baseline, which unfortunately is pretty crappy already.

Maybe you could tolerate a cup once every two or three days. If you decide to have one in the future, maybe just try having that one and then leave it a few days before trying another. It may be like a bucket situation where too much within a short time space fills your bucket and as soon as it spills over the top, it triggers symptoms. It’s just a thought, but it would be interesting to know.

Bummer it brought on a wave but hoping it’s short lived and you get back to baseline soon! Maybe once you’re off for a bit your system will be ok… good that you could make correlation and make the change. Glad you have gotten down to this far!! I’m at .07 so right with ya!

Mary- I used to get decaf mocha traps most days! I cut them way early on but maybe down the road you can try decaf version. Also chocolate can be a big ramp up so maybe could see how srrawbrrry might do or caramel decaf version and do a couple sips and freeze the rest in a few containers to have some over a few days. Think sugar can be a big culprit in this and chocolate def gets me where I tried a couple sips of strawberry shake (I cut sugar years ago and crave milk right now and I did ok with the strawberry version! Chocolate couple sips a month ago did me in. Just a small small treat can be helpful just to enjoy something here and there in this hard process!

Hugs everyone!