Propranolol issue

[70...]

[70...]

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share something about my journey. In acute withdrawal, I was prescribed Propranolol for my debilitating heart palpitions. They did work, but this was a year ago. Throughout my journey I was prescribed a whole lot of meds, but I never was on them for very long.

As I am presumably stable on my Benzo, I started to taper the Propranolol. I went a little too fast at first and I got major withdrawal symptoms. My conclusion is that if you have been taking Propranolol for a longer period of time, you need to be really careful with tapering this: from all the meds I was prescribed since Benzo withdrawal this one takes me a longer time than the rest.

I found less information about coming off the Propranolol than coming off of Benzos and I intend to do something about that. For now: I found this video very informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uucUyMaJPQg.

Naf1983

Hi Naf,

I am on it too for AKA.  I have been taking 20mg x 2...morning and night.

I researched it, too.  And, I did find out that tapering off is very important...just like with a benzo.  I tried once to come off, and my anxiety intensified drastically.  So, I won't be tapering until well after I am done with my benzo taper.  Plus, I still have AKA.  I was placed on an AP initially that was to help me with anxiety during WD.  Well, I know it did help, but with a price.  AKA happened, and while my initial rapid taper was probably a factor, too, I thought that once I was off the AP that I could drop the Propranolol.  Nothing is ever that simple during this process. 

Thank you for sharing.

Warmly,

F

Hello Naf, thanks for sharing notes from your experience. I am sure it will be useful to many here on the forums! :thumbsup:

I was prescribed propranolol for this ordeal, took it for a bit at 20mg/D after fast taper with no issues.

After a new development I'm back on it in just in the morning at 10mg for the past 3 days.

Is this something I should try to avoid if possible? When I started it the first time that was when my sleep became broken. I went 3 weeks CT off lorazepam and the days were hell but I was able to sleep 8 hrs straight. Once starting propranolol and since then very broken sleep. Didn't know if it was from reinstatement of clonazepam or the propranolol.

[70...]

If you ask my opinion only take if your symptoms are intolerable and the Propranolol actually brings relief and always stay aware on that this drug works in on the CNS.

I was prescribed propranolol for this ordeal, took it for a bit at 20mg/D after fast taper with no issues.

After a new development I'm back on it in just in the morning at 10mg for the past 3 days.

Is this something I should try to avoid if possible? When I started it the first time that was when my sleep became broken. I went 3 weeks CT off lorazepam and the days were hell but I was able to sleep 8 hrs straight. Once starting propranolol and since then very broken sleep. Didn't know if it was from reinstatement of clonazepam or the propranolol.

Hi All,

I'm in a really rough patch, and for the first time I forgot to take my dose of Propranolol with my bedtime dose.  Well, it is clearly effective for my severe symptoms.  I had a six hour AKA episode that really severe last night...I went to bed not in my best state.  However, I am so exhausted from pacing for so long, it doesn't stop me from falling asleep.  I was unable to fall asleep due to extreme anxiety, and I knew something was wrong.  It's a different kind of agitation.  Then, it occurred to me that I had forgotten the Propranolol.  Well, needless to say, my sleep was knocked off it's schedule.  I took it within a decent window of it's usual time, but didn't matter...my sleep was thrown off.

Now, I don't want to be on any further meds, but with AKA, I really have to be.  But, as we stated, it will be a slow withdrawal med when we are either done our taper or if we decide we want to come off of it.  Now, it's not gong to be a 'benzo' withdrawal experience.  But, it will need to be tapered very, very slowly.

Warmly,

F

I only took it again for 2 days at 10mg in the morning and then 5mg the third day and stopped. I don't know if it's helping. If took it thatvshort term is it ok to get off quickly?

I've read some people use it for anxiety in the way someone would use a benzo sporadically. Do we know anything about that, can you kindle propranolol?

I'm no expert on meds....however, I think the term kindling came initially from alcohol addiction.  And, that would make sense because they call benzos...I think this is the term I've heard, if not close enough....crystal alcohol as they both work on Gaba receptors, but benzos are a super concentrated.  Nonetheless, the two are compared in terms of withdrawal from each.

I do not believe that kindling pertains to a beta blocker, which is what Propranolol is.  But, maybe look it up.  I would not worry yourself over it at all.  I do understand why we worry, though.

Warmly,

F

[70...]

Hi,

I am suspecting the Proprolol may have actually been causing my AKA and some other issues. I wish I never have taken it. I'm down to 5mg. of it, holding and we be microtapering it over the course of a few weeks.

Can't give to much away, but I will publish an episode on Propranolol with a cardioligist in May. I was shocked to find so little information on how to safely come off this.

Naf1983

Hi All,

I'm in a really rough patch, and for the first time I forgot to take my dose of Propranolol with my bedtime dose.  Well, it is clearly effective for my severe symptoms.  I had a six hour AKA episode that really severe last night...I went to bed not in my best state.  However, I am so exhausted from pacing for so long, it doesn't stop me from falling asleep.  I was unable to fall asleep due to extreme anxiety, and I knew something was wrong.  It's a different kind of agitation.  Then, it occurred to me that I had forgotten the Propranolol.  Well, needless to say, my sleep was knocked off it's schedule.  I took it within a decent window of it's usual time, but didn't matter...my sleep was thrown off.

Now, I don't want to be on any further meds, but with AKA, I really have to be.  But, as we stated, it will be a slow withdrawal med when we are either done our taper or if we decide we want to come off of it.  Now, it's not gong to be a 'benzo' withdrawal experience.  But, it will need to be tapered very, very slowly.

Warmly,

F

Hi Naf,

You said you came off too quickly at first.  May I ask what your dose was and how you tapered initially?  I am thinking about slowly coming off this, and I had watched the video you had posted before.  Just am interested in your initial approach.

Thanks!

Warmly,

F

Just jumping in here please. I'm looking for advice. Faith I didn't know you were taking propranolol. So am I! The doctor prescribed it for my anxiety/panic attacks after they stopped prescribing benzos. Is anyone on the normal tablet form? Mine are just the normal tablets not slow release. The problem I'm having is, as soon as I take them I get these loud gurgling bubbling noises in my upper stomach. The main problem is, I have constant hunger pangs!! How does everyone take their propranolol?? Does anyone get an upset stomach or constant hunger pangs?

I bought a blood glucose monitor because of it! But my levels are always fine!!

Just jumping in here please. I'm looking for advice. Faith I didn't know you were taking propranolol. So am I! The doctor prescribed it for my anxiety/panic attacks after they stopped prescribing benzos. Is anyone on the normal tablet form? Mine are just the normal tablets not slow release. The problem I'm having is, as soon as I take them I get these loud gurgling bubbling noises in my upper stomach. The main problem is, I have constant hunger pangs!! How does everyone take their propranolol?? Does anyone get an upset stomach or constant hunger pangs?

I bought a blood glucose monitor because of it! But my levels are always fine!!

Mine are the little blue pills that are hexahedron shaped...six sided.  Not slow release.

I am wondering if they are upsetting my stomach, too.  And, constant hunger pangs.  But, I have read that it is a common WD symptom just from everything going in the gut with the gaba receptors being down regulated.  This constant hunger symptom was discussed by Dr. Jennifer Leigh.  I was concerned about my weight, and I read her blog.  She discussed the constant hunger pangs that are not actually hunger pains but simply discomfort from, as I said, all the dysfunction in the gut.

The thing is, I know what happens when I stop taking the Propranolol, and it is not good.  And, I do not believe it is helping me any longer...if anything I think it is hindering me.  So, I am looking into how to slowly taper off of it.  I just want to know what slow looks like.  The withdrawal will affect the sleep I am getting.  I know that.  It is not helping me sleep, but it will disrupt it if I come off too fast. 

So withdrawal can cause constant hunger pangs, Faith ?? Well I didn't know that! Do you eat when you feel the pangs Faith?? I have to or I start panicking!! Do you just allow it to be there or do you also have to quickly eat food to make it go away? I hate it!!!

I can't stop taking propranolol yet because of me still having the original severe anxiety and panic attacks that I were prescribed them for. I wish I could I hate taking drugs 😕

Do you notice anything different Faith depending on if you take it with food, or without, relating to these constant hunger pangs? I'm just trying to figure our if it is, the propranolol causing it, or if it is, a withdrawal thing. Its strange as all the bubbling gurgling and constant hunger pangs only seem to start after taking my propranolol doses  ???

The problem, Diana, is that when I take it at night, I go to bed only a half hour later.  So, I don't know if I were to stay up if I would get the hunger pangs. 

For me, I am almost siding with the hunger coming from the BW.  I also get ridiculous burping episodes.  I eat the same thing every day.  Nothing changes.  But, some days the burping is almost non-existent.  Other days, it is brutal.  So, I am beginning to wonder if this is just literally different things happen from day to day...but, if you are noticing that it really happens after the propranolol, that could be what is happening for you.  It is really hard to compare.  It's almost impossible during this.  We can get ideas from others...but, there almost never a blank and white answer to anything in this.  Which totally sucks...no real bread crumbs to follow.

I switched from propranolol to nadolol, a much lesser known but very long acting beta blocker. Lasts for 24 hours as opposed to the 4 hours of propranolol. Once interesting thing I've noticed is that is pretty much keeps my HR and BP rock steady even when I'm having a severe panic attack. I had the paramedics here yesterday while having a severe panic attack and my HR was like 80-100 and my BP was hovering around 120/70-80. So strange.

[70...]

Hi Faith,

ofcourse. I started lower, but over time it was 20mg. daily and sometimes 30mg.. I started day 1 on 15, day 2 10 and by day 3 I was deathly ill. That's when I started to research them (check out the side effects: no joke!).

Then I held at 10 for a week. One week of waking up drenched in my own sweat and barely sleeping and dropping like a dead body from a bridge due to too low blood pressure. Stabilized after that week, went to 7.5, mastered the craft of water titrartion and was holding and cutting with 0.4mg./ml.

Almost done and glad to be done with it. It was great for acute withdrawal, but like all prescription drugs there can be a price to pay.

But the good news is: I feel amazing! Sleeping so much better.

So my advice? Go slow! And if you get very sick, hold for a while -- just like Benzos.

Naf1983

Hi Naf,

You said you came off too quickly at first.  May I ask what your dose was and how you tapered initially?  I am thinking about slowly coming off this, and I had watched the video you had posted before.  Just am interested in your initial approach.

Thanks!

Warmly,

F