Support with tapering and other encouragement.

[Gi...]

Hi

I have been taking valium for 5 months. I started with 10 my 2.5mg 2x a day 5mg at night. I am currently at 8.5mg. 1mg morning, 2.25mg afternoon, 5mg at night. I am using 5mg pills. I would like help with tapering. I am currently doing a dry taper. I used a ruler and cut 1mm off every 2 to 4 weeks. Trying to to create a plan.

Hello GinGin, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You’re so wise to taper off of this medication so soon, rather than staying on it for decades like many of us do, how are you feeling?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone use a ruler to taper, good for you for thinking outside the box.  We can offer some other methods if you’re not sure about the reliability.

I’ll provide some links to help you but we typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will permit, a symptom based taper seems to work better than a strict schedule.

We’re glad you’re here, please let us know how we can help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Yes I would like more suggestions on tapering methods. This works ok for now but not very exact. I would luke to be a little more precise. I think definately when the doses get smaller. Not sure a razor blade and ruler will cut it. Dr. Says its should take 8 months to a year give or take. I'm more like it takes a long as it takes depending on comfort level.

I agree with your plan, its good to set goals but life gets in the way of our plans sometimes and the purpose of a taper is to hopefully be able to live while we’re doing this.  :thumbsup:

Some people will grind or shave their doses into little piles, others will weigh in on a jewelers scale, still more will add liquid.  Valium comes in a liquid form from the manufacturer in some countries, so you have lots of options.