Long term user

[bb...]

Joined because a friend suggested as there are no resources or people to share in my town. I have been taking Clonazapam .5 for 15 years at bedtime with 15mg mirtazapine. During covid I reduced my benzo to .25 without any noticable withdrawal. I also drank wine on a regular basis only socially as don't like to get drunk just a buzz. This past fall I developed severe nighttime leg cramping in left leg. Went to emergency where I was given pregabalin .It helped my cramps but knocked me out so severely I was hardly able to sit up. things escalated from there and one paradoxical effect afteranother had me self administering my saved up benzo to cope. All in I only ever took up to 1.0 mg a day but that was enough to have me od. Sensitive system. After finally checking into a pysch ward which did nothing but cut out 1 of my daytime .25 for Ativan. After 3 weeks sent home with no ativan and my benzo reduced to .125 in the day and .5 at night and my mirtazapine increased by7.5 So now I am withdrawing at home with so many symptoms I feel I am going crazy. Insomnia, chills,sweats,nerve pain,burning eyes,nose.Excessively thirsty, electrolyte problems(the only thing that showed on my bloodwor was too low of sodium and high blood pressure(increased that med too) Also wierdest and most difficult is that my vision is hyperpixilated for use of a better word (like being on a mild acid trip) my hearing is super acute when I use to be hard of hearing. My sense of touch is hyper aroused,and extremely light sensitive. Balance issues as well

Hello bbbslack :hug:  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!. 

We are glad you are here.  I am sorry you’ve had such a tough time. Some of the symptoms you describe are quite common in withdrawal. These symptoms are temporary and will go eventually.  The best way of getting off benzodiazepines is a slow taper off    The suggested taper rate is 5/10% every 10/14 days.  You can go slower, alter the schedule to whatever feels comfortable.  You will find lots of information and plenty of support here. We have a great community, post questions, our members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.  .

You may want to familiarize yourself with the Ashton Manual It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information in chapter III and includes a list of common symptoms 

Here are a few links to resources:

The Ashtons Manual  .

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Insomnia

For support with symptoms you have post here:

Withdrawal Support

If you would please be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hi BBb,  Welcome.  I know its probably not where you wanted to be but you'll find a lot of support here.  I can relate to a lot of what you are feeling now.  I have symptoms now but much more predictable and no where near as severe.  The people here have a lot of wisdom on the topic and you'll feel better soon!