Anyone else find the salmon wrecks them?

[no...]

I am in bed in absolute agony mentally and physically I have eaten salmon twice over a period of months apart the last time it was Farm salmon and I thought that that was possibly the problem because it was farmed . This time I eat wild salmon and this is also put me back into hell I can barely lift my head up off the bed the pain burning and mental state I am in is terrible. 🥲

Nova 💜

Yes, I have thought that also.  I stopped eating canned salmon for the past 2 years because I believed I saw a symptom increase.  Lately, I have gone back to eating it on occasion.  As well as fresh salmon.  Symptoms increase every time, but not for more than a week or so now.  And not at as uncomfortable a level.  I live in Minnesota and with the winter wearing on, I wanted a more natural alternative to vitamin D3 supplements.  Less sun exposure, you know.  And I know that D3 is abundant in salmon (as well as egg yolks, by the way) and is essential for mental health and strong immune function.  I never tried the supplements more than once after my withdrawal, due to the extreme reaction (I understand that many folks report this, also).  And I used to take a wide range of supplements, including D3, for years before the Benzos (had 2 bouts of Lyme disease back then).  Just too uncomfortable now.  So my current thinking is that the natural D3 in salmon may actually be helping me heal, just at maybe too intense a level yet to be real comfortable with, and the vitamin D3 supplement may just be too harsh or incomplete enough to be tolerated at the moment.  I have wondered about the mercury content (and mercury affects the CNS, as I understand it) that may be in the salmon, but wild-caught is supposed to be the better salmon choice, so I'm not sure what to think about that angle.  Hence, I don't eat salmon often.

I can't really understand where to draw the line with my choices during this recovery hell.  Do I force healing a little more over time, with more exercise and/or adding foods?  Do I avoid anything that makes me feel worse?  In other words, is feeling worse always bad?  How does one know the difference between prolonging the damage and assisting the healing?  My conclusion is that anything that is natural/nutrition-based and not drug/synthetic-based is bound to be good; anything that naturally prompts the body to do what it was designed to do is good; anything that you introduce into your body that mimics or tries to take the place of a natural part of the body eco system (as in drugs) is unsustainable and bound to be unhelpful.

Symptoms are a given in the healing process.  Some symptoms may indicate that healing is being delayed, as in the case of messing around with trying to artificially manipulate body functions with lab chemicals, and some symptoms are the body actually healing more efficiently, as in the case of eating salmon, maybe(?).  Supporting the body as it does its own thing is the best way to go.  Our puny human brains can't compete with the perfect, intricately connected, miraculous, mysterious system that our bodies have perfected over all this time.  We always get into trouble when we interfere with that perfection.  At least that's my current, two-cent's worth:)

Keep up the fight.  Try to stay positive.  Trust in your body to know how to get there.  Be a friend to yourself.  Don't rush perfection.  And know that you are not alone and that YOU WILL HEAL!!

Hi stillticking  :hug: If only there was a way to differentiate between healing Symptoms or just actual pain and physical distress,  and unfortunately  Salmon definitely does no favours for me every time I have stopped and then tried it again the result is always the same I end up feeling crucified and bedridden. So it’s definitely a no-no  again.

Nova  :smitten:

I've wondered about this too. I definitely seemed to react to a Nordic Naturals omega 3 supplement made from sardines, so I've tried to get them through food sources, including salmon and sardines. I haven't made a clear link between eating these items and increased symptoms. I can't tell if my symptoms were bad anyway or if they went up due to the fish. It's really hard to pinpoint causation. I'm sorry it has affected you so badly. Hope your symptoms improve soon, nova.

Sending hugs!! Yes I had to cut out salmon early bc it caused me to get very sick(and I used to eat 2x a week before this!).

Every time I try after 5-6mo same result so I will be waiting until I’m off med and then maybe 6mo post taper I’ll try again. Our bodies get very reactive in this for various reasons but in the end, they work their way back to homeostasis. So just eat what doesn’t flare you up and know one day as things calm down again you’ll likely be able to have salmon again!

Hugs and hoping you have some better moments soon!!

Salmon is high histamine for a lot of people, unless you get it fresh caught and gutted and then eat it right away.

Ie. You have to basically get it right from the fisherman off the boat.

If it is frozen right away after being caught it might me ok, but I still have problems.

When I was just on Ativan I could eat it no problem.

I have friends who run a company that get fresh fish right off the boat and freeze it right away.

Still can’t touch it.

Winnie

You grab you head and scream for 2.5 to 3 hrs for the massive migraine that is swirling around your head!

You have massive Akathisia and run back and forth at top speed.

Worst experience of my life!

What are the typical symptoms of not tolerating salmon for those of you who don't?

My non stop nerve pain and burning and hypersensitivities get worse.

Nova  :smitten:

I’m wondering if it has anything to do with Tryptophan? I believe I may be reacting to different foods with high Tryptophan content including oily fish eg Salmon.

I’m currently unable to eat bananas. I would never have believed that the humble banana would cause symptoms.

Tryptophan is on the pathway to 5-HTP and then serotonin, so it could play a role here. Histamine is likely, though, especially if you're on Valium, as it destroys the DAO (diamine oxidase) enzyme in your stomach that breaks down histamine.

oh, jesus. Give me a break already with the histamines.

Thanks for your input.

I’ll listen to my drs over a person on the internet.

When I show up at the hospital with a HR of 160 after eating the wrong thing, I’m glad they know that giving me IV fluids solves the problems.

Since listening to them, I haven’t had as many attacks as I used to!

But you do you!

Even my POTS dr know that tapering benzos causes histamine issues in some people, as she used to help people off and saw it herself!

This is a forum to lift people up and share their own experiences, not bring people down.

Your post did not meet the guidelines of this site, maybe review what those are. 😉

Good luck to you

Winnie

[43...]

This is a forum to lift people up and share their own experiences, not bring people down.

Your post did not meet the guidelines of this site, maybe review what those are. 😉

Good luck to you

Winnie

If you listen to your doctors over a person or people on the internet then why bother with this place? Where does it state that this forum is a place to lift people up? Benzo withdrawal is not pretty and it’s definitely not always going to be an uplifting experience for people to share. But hey, you apparently memorized the guidelines of this site and know far more than I, which is sad, actually.

But you do you!

Good luck to you

Winnie

If you listen to your doctors over a person or people on the internet then why bother with this place? Where does it state that this forum is a place to lift people up? Benzo withdrawal is not pretty and it’s definitely not always going to be an uplifting experience for people to share. But hey, you apparently memorized the guidelines of this site and know far more than I, which is sad, actually.

But you do you!

Just so you know, people can get histamine issues and MCAS from other things other than benzos

Antibiotics, other drugs, COVID and vaccines are known to cause these issues in some people.

This was the case for me, I sure hope it doesn’t happen to you, as it’s pretty difficult to deal with.

To be clear these were prior to benzos for me, the benzos have made it much worse.

Why am I here?

Simple, I’m here for knowledge, support and helping others, apparently you are not!

Know how I know the rules of the site, because of people like you.

why are you on this site?

You would do well in making yourself knowledgeable of the rules as well.

This is a support group to help people, not bring people down.

Good luck to you

Winnie

Tryptophan is on the pathway to 5-HTP and then serotonin, so it could play a role here. Histamine is likely, though, especially if you're on Valium, as it destroys the DAO (diamine oxidase) enzyme in your stomach that breaks down histamine.

HFH.

You’re exactly right.

Valium does block DAO

My issues weren’t as bad at the beginning as they are now.

So when you have a mast cell reaction, a lot of serotonin is released.

I actually, experienced a small serotonin syndrome episode a few months back, it was after COVID and jumping off Ativan.

It was most unpleasant.

I used to be able to take DAO pills to help me and they worked great.

Unfortunately, I’m too sensitive to them now.

Nova:

I hope you feel better real soon, I know how long you’ve been suffering.

I think of you often!

Hugs to all

Winnie

Widesky, your comment is out of line, if you don’t have anything constructive to add to thread, don’t participate in it, its that simple. 

Pamster

[43...]

Widesky, your comment is out of line, if you don’t have anything constructive to add to thread, don’t participate in it, its that simple. 

Pamster

I’m obviously not the person you’re addressing but your reply reeks of condescension and carries a tone that we’re mentally deficient in some way. Good god, it’s like a tone reserved for mental hospital “group therapy”. .  ::)

Good luck to you

Winnie

But you do you!

ThroughAGlassDarkly, BenzoBuddies supports working with your medical practitioner throughout this process, we don’t want or expect our members to choose one over the other. 

Please familiarize yourself with our Mission Statement on our rules regarding how we treat one another.

]Mission Statement

BenzoBuddies: an inclusive, nonjudgmental mutual-support environment for those who wish to withdraw from benzodiazepines.

Members of the BenzoBuddies community are encouraged to exchange ideas, information and support during the process of withdrawal and recovery.

Although outside of the immediate scope of BenzoBuddies, members are free to discuss their wider medical problems and needs as they relate to benzodiazepine use and withdrawal.

Taking or quitting any medicine—including benzodiazepines—should be a personal decision made in consultation with a suitably qualified medical practitioner.

Through a peer-support model, we strive to help members achieve their goals.

Community Policies & Documents

Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate abuse of fellow members.

And this, well this was just a cheap shot.

Can I get an amen?

Pamster

I’m obviously not the person you’re addressing but your reply reeks of condescension and carries a tone that we’re mentally deficient in some way. Good god, it’s like a tone reserved for mental hospital “group therapy”. .  ::)

ThroughAGlassDarkly, nope not condescension, just suggesting both you and widesky treat other members how you wish to be treated.  This process is tough enough, a little kindness and respect can go a long way,

Pamster

[43...]

And this, well this was just a cheap shot.

Can I get an amen?

Perhaps, but it was sure a good one.  :laugh: Are we being sent to the corner for forgetting the golden rule?