PLEASE HELP me make decision

[We...]

So i found myself in real mess. I took magnesium threonate for 20 days and 5 days ago i went CT. I didnt know it can have same effect as quitting benzo. When i was taking it i felt really mentally calm and it did wonders for me in mental segment of wd. But i quit ct because i ran out of it. After i went ct i got worsening of my original symptoms and whole a lot of new ones and this is terrifying. I got like 15 new physical sx and was housebond for last 5 days. Firstly i didnt connect that to magnesium. Until today when i bought new bottle of magnesium and took one capsule in the morning. Suddenly calmness took over me and mentally i am much better. I got up and left the house first time in 5 days. Energy came back and I lifted my spirits. I then connected the dots and figured out it was Mg causing me wd for last 5 days. I then started to search the BB and online to find out Mg effects the same GABA receptors as benzos and that many ppl had reaction like i did.

My question is: should I now continue to take Mg and try to stabilise on it and then make a slow taper? Or should I just quit it asap and go through wd from it?

If tapering is the way,how should I taper? When to cut and for how much?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Hi Weekenduser,

Honestly, I am not familiar with such am intense effect of magnesium outside of a benzo taper, or even after perhaps. In your case, there may be a connection to your weekend use having created sensitization in some way...

Having made my disclaimer, I will share how I would think of it. If the lack of Magnesium is having such a terrible effect on you, I would probably taper it. Start at the lowest necessary dose so you can be functional and go from there. Magnesium comes in scored capsules, and I believe that the lowest is 100 mg. You can cut it in smaller pieces so long as you are not taking an extended release formulation. I don't think you can get uber granular, so probably cut and hold...

I WOULD recommend that you find a naturopath (Dr. Kracoff is great https://naturalcompounder.com/about/meet-our-staff/) and if possible do some dna testing to figure out the cascade of this sensitivity.

It all comes down to individual choice and options that each person is comfortable with... I hope this helps.

I had no idea that could happen with Magnesium 😳! I take 1/2 a tablet to sleep.

For me? If it works and you’re stable on it? I’d just take it. It’s not a chemical and if found ANYTHING that helps with these hideous benzo w/d, go for it!

But that’s me and I have absolutely reached my limit in suffering….

I also have been using magnesium when I wake in the middle of the night during benzo taper.I don't often get back to sleep but at least keeps me calm enough to do deep breathing exercises.