Seroquel Ended Months of Sleep Deprivation 🫠

[Br...]

History:

- Took 1mg of Klonopin for panic attacks every few weeks. Did this for 6 years. Began taking 2mg of Klonopin every day for insomnia about 6 months ago. Tried to stop cold turkey and got zero hours of sleep for 10 days straight. Went to the ER twice. They prescribed 25mg of Trazodone and 50mg of Seroquel, respectively, but neither worked for more than a day. Went back on 1mg of Klonopin and did a taper for 3 months. Sleep was reduced to two hours a night during the final two weeks of the taper. CBD, melatonin, chamomile tea, vitamins, magnesium supplements, Advil PM, Benadryl, meditating, reading, music — nothing worked. Kept getting zero to two hours of sleep for approximately 7 weeks. Went back to the ER. They promised I would not die, even if this sleep deprivation persisted for 6 months or more. “You will hate life every day, but you will survive on less than two hours of sleep every day. Your brain has mechanisms that will force your body to sleep before fatal harm is done,” they said. “Are you people insane? I feel like I’m going to lose my mind and end up like a vegetable,” I snapped back. “If you are coherent enough to have this conversation after months of no sleep, that should tell you a lot,” they concluded. But my situation was dire. I had been dealing with feelings of suicide, delusion, panic, insomnia, IBS, tinnitus, and depression for far too long. Klonopin withdrawal was going to end me, and there was nothing anyone or anything could do about it. Found no comfort in micro sleep/Ashton Manual banter.

Solution:

Went to a doctor, who suggested 50mg Seroquel pills — up to three pills per day at bedtime. First day I took 50mg and got 9 hours of sleep. Second day I took 50mg and got two hours of sleep. Third day I took 100mg and got five hours of sleep. Fourth day I took 150mg and got zero hours of sleep. Fifth day I took 150mg and got zero hours of sleep. Went back to the doctor, who prescribed me 7.5mg of Remeron (daily). Didn’t take Remeron that night because I noticed my feelings of suicide, delusion, panic, IBS, tinnitus, and depression were gone. “I might not be sleeping too well, but all of my other symptoms are gone, and I’m smiling. Surely this can lead to feeling relaxed enough to fall asleep and stay asleep in the future…,” I thought. Suddenly, sleep returned. I immediately began averaging 5 to 7 hours of broken sleep per night.

Before prescribing me Remeron, the doctor said something I won’t forget. “You appear anxious and depressed. That’s why you’re not sleeping. It has nothing to do with withdrawal,” he said. “No, I’m going through withdrawal, which causes insomnia. The insomnia is why I’m anxious and depressed,” I replied. And then I remember reading about how Klonopin can deplete serotonin levels, and how you need serotonin to produce GABA, so what harm can come from continuing Seroquel? “Give it a chance to work. Ditch the Remeron,” I thought.

Conclusion:

Did days of research on Seroquel. From BenzoBuddies to Reddit, most people seemed to swear by it. Gave it a try, despite being an antipsychotic w/side effects (weight gain, etc.).  Glad I did. I feel like my old, old self — the one who never picked up a single Klonopin tablet, and I’m actually losing weight/have zero side effects. Doctor was right. I was sad and depressed. Not any more.

Here’s to a few months of planned Seroquel use, and a slow taper if needed. You’re welcome, GABA. Let’s grow.

I never said Seroquel is responsible for GABA production, I said it regulates serotonin, which is required for GABA production. I’m sorry you dislike Seroquel, but it saved my life, and I strongly encourage other people to consider its use. ☀️

I am glad to hear that it is working for you. I have had a heck of a time getting off of it after being put on it for sleep and I am tapering off in minuscule amounts. I have developed other side effects in addition to the many I have been already dealing with as a result. Wish doctors had just let my sleep return to normal on its own which it would have done. I was put on it at the hospital.

I'm glad your sleep has resolved, but I struggle greatly with claiming your success was the result of taking Seroquel? In my experience, it has never worked to "cure" anyone else on this insomnia forum.  Sure, many have had success getting sleep using Seroquel while in Benzo WD, but it never cured their sleep issues that were caused by Benzos.  Benzo-induced insomnia has no cure, other than time.

I believe it's reckless to give people false hope?  Not everyone gets Benzo-induced insomnia after coming off of Benzos, but for those that do, it's not because they are depressed or anxious, it's because Benzos down regulate GABA receptors and many get damaged or destroyed. Time allows them to heal and regrow, not Seroquel.

i'd be careful making claims that no one else has experienced.

Yes, read your story. I also CT from all meds, not sleeping at all now but I refuse to take stopgap sleeping pills like Z drugs or Seroquel. The withdrawal symptoms from these drugs are horrific, sometimes even worse than those caused by benzos. Its just temporary measures and may potentially cause more damage for the brain. The psychiatrist doesn't have much solutions but to try out different sleeping pills on the patients (victims)

Do you know when sleep will return for those damaged by benzo?

I'm glad your sleep has resolved, but I struggle greatly with claiming your success was the result of taking Seroquel? In my experience, it has never worked to "cure" anyone else on this insomnia forum.  Sure, many have had success getting sleep using Seroquel while in Benzo WD, but it never cured their sleep issues that were caused by Benzos.  Benzo-induced insomnia has no cure, other than time.

I believe it's reckless to give people false hope?  Not everyone gets Benzo-induced insomnia after coming off of Benzos, but for those that do, it's not because they are depressed or anxious, it's because Benzos down regulate GABA receptors and many get damaged or destroyed. Time allows them to heal and regrow, not Seroquel.

i'd be careful making claims that no one else has experienced.

I have 9 hours of sleep (without meds). but the refreshing feeling upon waking up is gone forever. theres chemical terror , anxiety and physical discomfort