Long term Klonopin user

[Ze...]

I am here for HELP!  I am 78 & have been using klonopin for 28-30 years, and have tried to quit several times, probably trying to taper off too soon.  I am taking 1 mg at night for sleep, but, it really isn’t working.  I would like to know the best way to taper off as I understand this Benzo is one of the strongest.

Hello  Zebraecho :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  You will get all the help and support you need here to help you through this.  Slow is the best way with these drugs.  Withdrawal can be a tough journey,  being among those who understand can make it a little easier.  Feel free to check out the forum and post questions.

Reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb. Some of us need to taper much slower.  You will learn more about tapering on the taper boards.

I would like to suggest you read The Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It has withdrawal information and includes a list of common withdrawal symptoms

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

You might like to post to this support group

Klonopin Klub #2

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

I have read the Ashton Manual, and that one is best to reduce dose by 5-10%.  How I am starting out is by breaking a scored .5 mg tab in half, then breaking the half in half which would be .125mg I would be leaving out of the 1 mg I normally take, but know this is larger than 10%.  12.5%, I think…which is maybe too much, but kind of hard to cut the quarter of the half in half.  Guess I can do it, but thinking I will try what I am presently doing.  If I have a hard time, then I’ll do the latter.  What do you think?  Thanks.

Hi Zeb,

I can break my half into thirds pretty easily by hand and eyeballing it.  I also have a scale if I want to be precise.  I would err on the lower % cut at first.  I've cut too much at times and suffered for it.  I hope to avoid doing that again in the future.  I've finally gotten it in my head that faster usually isn't better.