Will I be setback from this fruit I ate? Help!

[te...]

Hello, I have been adding more fruits and vegetables to my diet.  I am normally okay with having a smoothie with banana in it, but yesterday morning I had a smoothie with banana and after I had an entire dragon fruit (which I hadn't tried yet during my withdrawal).  Immediately after eating all of the dragon fruit I entered a weird state of anxiety, my jead felt very weird and sort of rushy, hands shaking, other symptoms more difficult to deal with because of the anxiety state.  I stayed this way the entire day and even through the night, though I somehow got a few hours of sleep.  I woke up and feel the same today.

Yesterday, I checked my blood sugar and it did seem that it was dropping low pretty fast after being higher, so I assumed I just needed to balance it all out.  However, today my blood sugar seems fine, and I still feel that way.  I do not think it was an unrelated wave, I can see exactly in my notes about yesterday that it started immediately after eating the dragon fruit.  I never experience this state I'm in.

If this does actually set me back, how long should this be?  Can I actually have a setback for weeks or anything just from eating one fruit?  Thank you.

i would stay away from passion fruit, passion flower, dragon fruit, i had bad reactions myself from them. while its not everyone ive found that many do have reactions from these exotic fruits and herbs

I'm sorry this happened. I think if there aren't any other factors like new or increased stress, or med/supplement changes,  it's very likely your system was revved up by the blast of sugar and that the symptoms will settle down before long. 

I'm sorry this happened. I think if there aren't any other factors like new or increased stress, or med/supplement changes,  it's very likely your system was revved up by the blast of sugar and that the symptoms will settle down before long.

Agreed. For me i also had to watch the amount of things i consume that produce GABA. bc our receptors are damaged and cannot receive too much gaba. it for me atleast caused me more issues. pitaya (dragon fruit) These fruits undergo a period of fermentation and aging. They usually have an alcohol content ranging between 5 and 13%

Brighterday, when you say before long, I hope you mean a couple days or something??

No supplements or anything at all.  Definitely stressed all the time because I had a setback from covid during acute, and I just started a new diet recently.  But it was only specifically the dragon fruit that caused an episode.  I am very scared now that the other user mentioned it having alcohol?

I used to be really sceptical of posts describing reactions to certain foods.  I don't any longer. 

I'm not very knowledgeable about the histamine stuff but ate processed ham the other day and noticed definite increase in anxiety, dread.  I paid it no mind when eating it so wasn't looking for a response.  Also ate a lot of garlic on one occasion and same happened. 

Both experiences were short lived. 48 hours maybe. 

I still get occasional rash, itch,  sneezing, runny nose, at 4 years out, but nothing like the poxy boils, welts I got in the beginning.  ???

These experiences are infrequent now, and stress plays a big role too. 

4 years, wow!  I'm only a few months off, so I'm worried it could last longer for me?  Did it last longer earlier on or no?

I think the reaction may be going down a little bit, but it can also be hard for me to tell because I feel very nervous about how bad I just felt, and the nervousness makes me feel almost similar.  Will have to see by tomorrow, I guess.

tenpercentslink - I'm glad you looked into the dragonfruit alcohol question.  I would guess your reaction to eating two fruits with high sugar content would only last a few days at most.  Good to hear the reaction may already be easing up.  For many of us, our systems can be so highly sensitized during withdrawal many things affect is differently.  When I was in the thick of withdrawal I found I felt best when I avoided sugar, caffeine and alcohol as much as possible. This isn't true for everyone but I think it's worth being cautious. Hope your reaction subsides soon.

Thank you so much Brighterday, thankfully the reaction has subsided.  :) I would say it was definitely blood sugar related.  Balancing my blood sugar didn't help much that day, so I think the adrenaline or cortisol associated with the initial spike and crash had to have time to calm down too.  It probably wasn't related to the dragonfruit itself, though of course I won't feel confident eating that for a while.  Not that I mind—it tastes like basically nothing.  😅

Brighterday, actually, could that possibly last longer? :( I swear I entered a strange state of anxiety that felt like too much sugar right after I had the dragon fruit. I felt it for 24 hours, then the next day I started to feel different, but was unsure if I was better or not, then that night was totally sure it was gone.  The next morning I was also sure it was gone, then two hours or so later, it came back, and has again been here for 24 hours, almost even worse. :/ The feeling is a little different, but it is definitely lingering from that day.  I don't even know what is happening to me anymore.

It's really impossible to predict how long a setback will last, I'm sorry to say.  I see in your signature you had Covid fairly recently - I'm wondering if that's a factor in this? 

Vitamin C is a crucial part in recovery! Are you diabetic?! I’m sorry you are suffering so much but I don’t see the correlation.

I’d suggest getting your blood sugar and liver enzymes checked. 🙏