Can propofol and fentanyl revv the symptoms up? I am considering an endoscopy

[fu...]

It's hard to predict.  I had a colonoscopy while I was in withdrawal with propofol (not sure if I was given fentanyl). My symptoms revved up  but honestly I think it's just as likely that the preparation for the procedure and the stress of the procedure itself were the cause of the uptick.  We know that increased stress and new stressors can lead to an uptick in symptoms.  My revved up symptoms eased up after a week or so as I recall.

That being said, if I had it to do again I would just go with versed rather than propofol.  Here's a quote from BB's FAQ page on the question of taking a one time dose of benzos for a medical procedure:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-information/frequently-asked-questions/#medical-procedure

" I have to have a medical procedure during which my doctor says I will be sedated. Does this mean I have to go through withdrawal again?

You should not worry that a single dose of a benzodiazepine will cause the reemergence of withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal is the result of changes in brain receptors which happen over time and with regular use. These changes in receptors will not occur with only a single dose of a benzodiazepine."

From what I understand, Propofol affects GABA. It's a GABA-AR PAM (positive allosteric modulator), according to another member of this site who is a chemist.

Thank you! I will reconsider taking midazolam. What about fentanyl? One place I am considering going uses fentanyl and midazolam.

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in 2020

They gave me fentanyl and midazolam/versed!

Disaster, came home with Akathisia!

Many are here from setbacks from surgeries or procedures.

I wouldn’t risk it.

BUT

Many here have been just fine with a one off dose after they are off, Trina did just fine for a dental procedure for example.

If you are still tapering, I wouldn’t do the midazolam or propofol - although that one is more tolerable.

You don’t need any sedation for either procedure, worst part was I was awake anyway and it did nothing for me.

In my case, that is what made me not be able to work anymore.

This was just my experience.

Good luck.

Winnie

Do you still have akathisia? Like, persistently? I hope you are better now.

Honestly, Idk what to do. I might panic during an endoscopy with no sedation. I didn't know that fent + versed could be that bad.

Can you get a capsule endoscopy instead? I swallowed a camera once, and it came out the other end, and there is no need for any drugs...

Can you get a capsule endoscopy instead? I swallowed a camera once, and it came out the other end, and there is no need for any drugs...

I never heard about it, and I was asked for a biopsy too so I guess I will have to go with the normal endoscopy.

The idea of going without sedation makes me nervous as the process can take 10 minutes or more. Honestly, Idk what to do.

From what I understand, Propofol affects GABA. It's a GABA-AR PAM (positive allosteric modulator), according to another member of this site who is a chemist.

Yep, according to Wikipedia, “ Propofol has been proposed as having several mechanisms of action,[71][72][73] both through potentiation of GABAA receptor activity and therefore acting as a GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator, thereby slowing the channel-closing time.”

So what are we suppose to use for a procedure such as endoscopy?

I had a procedure done while in withdrawals using propofol and fentanyl. I had no problems and did just fine. I was so nervous and I think that works us up just with the worrying. I had no choice but to have it done so I accepted the process and knew I could overcome a withdrawal if it happened. Thankfully it didn’t happen and went smoothly. Good luck on your endoscopy. I’ll send positive thoughts for a successful procedure!

Now I am over the fence if I go with midazolam or with propofol. I have it scheduled in a place that uses midazolam and fentanyl.

I can't decide. A member here reported persistent akathisia after taking midazolam while tapering a benzo. An user on reddit reported that his mother had dementia after using propofol in this procedure.

I am very anxious and I think doing without sedation would be so stressful that would trigger some symptoms.

I’m afraid your anxiety over the situation is worse for you than the proposed drugs they’ll use to aid in the procedure.  I’ve read many posts by members who have used Propofol and they did just fine.  Stress is a huge contributor to increased symptom severity, that’s your true villain in this case.

I’m afraid your anxiety over the situation is worse for you than the proposed drugs they’ll use to aid in the procedure.  I’ve read many posts by members who have used Propofol and they did just fine.  Stress is a huge contributor to increased symptom severity, that’s your true villain in this case.

I guess I will go with propofol instead. I already did it. But it's a general anesthesia and it's kinda of scary. Isn't propofol much stronger than midazolam regarding gaba though?

I had two surgeries while I was recovering and didn’t ask for any particular medication and didn’t notice an uptick in symptoms.  If you’ve decided on propofol then the only thing you need to know is that its an anesthetic and midazolam is a benzodiazepine.

I had two surgeries while I was recovering and didn’t ask for any particular medication and didn’t notice an uptick in symptoms.  If you’ve decided on propofol then the only thing you need to know is that its an anesthetic and midazolam is a benzodiazepine.

Thank you, Pamster. You've been very patient with me.

Yep, according to Wikipedia, “ Propofol has been proposed as having several mechanisms of action,[71][72][73] both through potentiation of GABAA receptor activity and therefore acting as a GABAA receptor positive allosteric modulator, thereby slowing the channel-closing time.”

So what are we suppose to use for a procedure such as endoscopy?

What are the implications of these properties? Do them make it worse than midazolam?