Ativan using for 3 months

[Sh...]

Hi, my name is sherry, I have GAD for years. Last November my Dr prescribed Ativan to me, now I have already taken for 3 months(as needed). I need some help and encourage to typering. I have never taken any benzo before. I regret to take it at first place and so scared the withdrawal symptoms. Sorry for my English writing

Hello Sherry - Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

You've come to the right place for information and support you need to help you taper off Ativan.  We find that a slow, careful taper helps keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum - we can help you come up with a plan to do this and you will receive support from others who understand what this process is like.

We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% of your most recent dose every 14 days or longer.  This is the general outline  - we're happy to help you with the specifics. So please ask all the questions you have and reach out for support!

Below are a few links to help you get started.

We're glad you found us!

Brighterday  :)

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

Last November my Dr prescribed Ativan to me, I was taking 1mg per day for 6days and 0.5 for 10 days and stopped without typing. Because Dr. Said it's ok. 10 days after I started to take sertraline, Dr. adviced to take Ativan 0.5mg twice per day untill sertraline kicked in. but I only took 0.25 or 0.5mg per day as needed total for 13days in

Dec,  sometimes I took everyday, sometimes 3 or 4 days without taking. In January, I felt sertraline finnal kicked in, I didn't take Ativan for 1week. After this week, my anxiety back, I started to take it again.  I still take 0.25mg per day most times. Only two days I took 0.5mg and 0.75mg. but unfortunately 0.25mg is not effective as before. I don't want to increase the dose, but struggling every day for the physical symptoms (may be physical dependence on Ativan). After search online, I read so many horrible stories, I am so regret to take this medication in the first place, I want to typing it as soon as possible. but don't know if I can handle the physical symptoms (chest pain and tight, palpitations). Do I need increase dose to stabe my condition then typing or just power through this. I am so scared. Any suggestions will be really appreciate. Again, I am apologizing for my English writing. Thank you everyone!!

I'm glad to see you've gotten some good guidance in response to your posts on the Titration board - that's good. You're more likely to get responses on the Planning Your Withdrawal boards because there's more traffic there and on the Withdrawal Support board.