Dr. Unwilling to support a patient led, symptom led taper

[Ze...]

My current provider is saying that I have to speed up my taper, reducing .1mg every 2 weeks. I'm very concerned how I will react to this reduction speed. There has to be someway I can find a Dr. who will support a patient led taper, but I don't know where to look. Basically its looking like if I don't reduce at the speed this current provider wants I will be without a doctor and no longer have a source of medication.

Does anyone have any advice for this situation?

Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-Z

I've been microtapering off of Klonopin and have come down from .7 to .48mg over the past couple of months. My current provider is now saying that I have to speed up the taper, reducing .1mg every 2 weeks. I'm very concerned how I will react to this reduction speed, as the last small reduction really hit me hard. There has to be someway I can find a Dr. who will support a patient led taper, but I don't know where to look. Basically its looking like if I don't reduce at the speed this current provider wants I will be discharged and no longer have a source of medication.

Does anyone have any advice for this situation? I would say the state I live in but I don't want that to be too much of an identifier. Let's just say its not a very progressive state.

Would be willing to relocate temporarily if it meant protecting my wellbeing. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-Z

If I was in your situation and could not find a new provider in time, I would ask my provider if I could put my taper on hold because of a life crisis (relative is terminally ill and I need to take care of them, once-in-a-career yearlong project at work with tight deadlines; etc.). The provider does not need to know your tapering progress (they won't be able to medically help you with your taper anyway); all you need them for is to provide you with a script for K. In addition, I guarantee they will not be able to provide any scientific or medical justification for speeding up your taper (in the form of tests or research), so it's no use trying to persuade them you need to go at your own pace...

If I was able to find a new provider, I would not tell them I was tapering (based on the same logic above).

This is such a dis service to patients.  I'm trying to find my faith in Doctors and this really does not help.  Can you find a different Dr?  I agree that going on "hold" as far as Dr. is concerned is a good idea but I imagine they are wanting to clear the books of benzo scripts so that is why the push.  If there isn't a local Dr. possibly an online Dr can help? 

I've been lucky so far.  I initiated the tapering in that I suspect it contributes to depression so I wanted rid of it.  Although not particularly benzo "wise" my Dr. does support my plan and tells me to take my time. 

I hope you find a solution you can live with.

I'm in Australia so know very little about your system but I've read many people say nurse practitioners have been really good with prescribing. Could that be an option?