Brief low dose usage, hell of a taper process

[BZ...]

Hi,

I was prescribed Xanax, alprazolam, by my psychiatrist to help me get through a panic attack and time of high anxiety after a miscarriage. The prescription said to take 1-2 0.25 tablets twice a day.

I was hesitant to take it, so I just took half of one tablet per day, for about 6 days before I planned to taper myself off, especially after experiencing some very scary side effects.

I have tapered down to a very small sliver of half of a .25mg tablet twice a day, but am experiencing horrible side effects, where I can hardly function.

Has anyone else had such a severe withdrawal process after 6days of 0.125 mg of Xanax?

How long should I expect withdrawals to last?

My psychiatrist said 2 weeks, but I don't feel like I can trust that answer.

Thank you, and I am so glad to have the support of this board

Hello BZFreeJourney, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’ve seen people become dependent on these drugs in as little as 10 days but you’re the first to go under that, I’m so very sorry to hear this.

It’s difficult to say how long withdrawals will last but you’re smart to get off of the alprazolam.  We’ve found those who are on the drug for a shorter amount of time recover sooner than those long term so that’s in your favor.

What symptoms are you experiencing?  I’ll provide some links to the forum to help you find your way around but please keep talking to us, we want to reassure you that you’ll come out of this just fine.

Ashton Manual symptom list

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Thanks for your quick reply!

I experienced a pretty severe reaction starting about day 2 of tapering from 1/2 to 1/4 tablet- restless jittery legs, muscle aches, poor memory and forgetfulness, worse anxiety, inability to function. My husband has had to help me a lot taking care of our daughter.

I'm so scared that this will take a long time to taper off, especially with such a severe reaction.

I also take 20 mg of Lexapro and have struggled with  chronic Lyme disease

You’ve described classic benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, have you ever taken them or sleeping pills like Ambien before?

My suggestion would be to get off of the Alprazolam as soon as possible, it won’t be pleasant but in my opinion, the sooner the better. 

Please don’t stop taking the Lexepro at this time, medication changes while your central nervous system is so sensitive isn’t advisable.