Insomnia after 1 month on Zopiclone

[cu...]

Hi.

I'm new to this forum. I'm a 22-year-old man, a medical student, and hopefully, I'll make it through this withdrawal and become a doctor one day.

As a doctor I'll do everything I can to inform the world about Benzos and the harm they're causing to people, myself included.

I was put on Zopiclone by my doctor in connection to some sleep issues related to exam anxiety. I was always able to sleep well, 9-10 hours, and it was hard for me to get up in the morning. I started to use Zopiclone sporadically, not knowing how addictive and damaging it could be to my nervous system. After a month I decided to stop. Since that time I have developed insomnia, tinnitus, and heart palpitations. My memory and concentration are pretty bad as well.

I know I will heal one day though.

This is tough you guys.

Hello cur019, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

The good news is you’re young and you only used the Zopiclone for a short time, this is in your favor.  The not so good news is it takes awhile to recover but those who take the drug for a short time typically recover in terms of weeks and months, not months and years.

Your symptoms are common for those of us who will suffer from a discontinuation syndrome and while I know they’re miserable they’re just symptoms of your brain trying to get back to normal function.

I’m pleased to know you’re going to use this experience to educate those in your field, it’s sorely needed but I’m sorry you have to go through this pain.

I’ll give you some links to help you find your way around, we’re glad you found us.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Ashton Manual symptom list

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

Though I have been using the drug for a month, it's been 4 months since my cold turkey and I haven't seen much improvement in my sleep. The tinnitus I developed 1 month after my cold turkey.

Hopefully, I will be able to recover in a couple of months.

I didn’t realize you were free that long so you know full well this can last way too long.  Month 4 seems to be rough for a lot of members and symptoms getting worse instead of better is common until they gradually begin to fade.

This is a support group for those who took z-drugs, you might want to check in there. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=97331.0