How much would it take

[In...]

I’m wondering what others best guesses may be of how much money it may take to find a ‘cure’ for benzodiazepine withdrawal, or at least some way to speed up healing & understand what’s really happening.

I’d assume it’d probably be no less than $100 million, but I’d say $500 million would likely be more realistic.

I have a feeling though that even if a significant amount of time and money were invested, it still may not be something that can really be fixed. I’m pessimistic though. Maybe something to speed up healing could be possible. 

I’ve seen a few studies talk about kindling. One I found interesting described experimenting with a benzodiazepine receptor inverse agonist, and found it doesn’t cause tolerance but actually causes kindling. When exposed, rats had symptoms similar to benzodiazepine withdrawal, and when exposed multiple times, the symptoms were more severe each time. I’ve never seen a study talk about trying to reverse kindling. I’m hoping it’s because there aren’t any, and not that it just never was successful.

• 2 weeks later...
I assume more. I kinda assume it won't be an easy pill solution. We would benefit from solutions to other glutamate neurological disorders like MS/CFS/etc. I think. Some seem to have experienced benefits from mesenchymal stem cells but it's still quite experimental. Those won't be a big pharma solution though because it's not patentable so not that much money going into it to invest in the costs related to clinical trials and so on.

I’ve been playing the lottery x). If i win all ~700m is going towards finding a solution.

I have $1 million at the moment am putting it towards a small study on mice.. my brother is helping me find doctors and set it up but it’s really just a desperate attempt & I’m obviously not hopeful.

Aren't you trying one of the possible aids that science gurus here discussed about? Xenon, mesenchymal stem cells, etc. If I ever finish this awful taper I'd personally try those. Of course very lovely of you to invest in helping alo of us  :)

Will do.

I’ve tried flumazenil but it caused a setback, so I’m very worried to try anything else.

I’m 6 years off and even Wendy’s chili caused a setback for me so it seems like there’s nothing that won’t.

I’m thinking about stem cells though

Wow, sorry to hear about your 6 years and setbacks. This is really scary stuff. I don't understand the hype about flumazenil. In Europe there's also some "experts" researching it but it seems to be only interesting when there's no dependency but an overdose or something? I hope you have better luck with other solutions! Which symptoms are you still struggling with?

Thank you, my main symptoms are anxiety, tinnitus & twitching, but they almost go away in between setbacks. My main issue is I get setback from almost anything.

Dear everyone,

I am an academic/researcher and got mired in benzo withdrawal after an illness. It was the toughest moment in my life, I have been through few close shaves in the past, but this was by far the worst. It keeps you alive and tortures the living daylights out of you.

Long story short, I was plunged into a situation that made me think about what we can do to, at the very least, make benzo withdrawal painless as possible. My ultimate goal was to even prevent people from getting into benzos in the first place, but I know it's a pipe dream for now at least (it is possible I feel as a scientist and a doctor).

The solution lies, not in the form of a pill, but rather a change in environment/our interactions/consciousness/awareness - we need a complete reboot from our current circumstances. We need to get people to a calm/peaceful/tranquil environment with many others who have been through the same mess. It should be a place where everyone can recuperate without worrying about finances, medications or family (all financed/funded).

I know it sounds like expensive rehab, but it is vastly different in terms of greater compassion, humility, forgiveness and love. We don't need terms like rehab, we need a community. It should be a self-sustaining living space.

10 million should be more than enough to jump start such an initiative and we can evaluate the outcomes of the subsequently. I am working hard with my university, to make this a reality. It's a tough road, but I know I have what it takes (partly through my own pain and suffering).

MM

Although it's a nice idea to support people through this, a caring environment does not just heal someone (faster). I was awfully misguided by my medical team and turned out incredibly misfortunate. I am well taken care of by my parents at home. I'm still insanely struggling to taper off this drug.

I know for a fact that I would not have got this far without my family and friends support and practical help.

What about those who for no fault of their own have no such support? Actually, it’s rare to find ongoing support when the whole situation is really hard to believe! Few believe that recovery can take so long, they think we should help ourselves more, go jogging, find a hobby!

If such a place existed ( a withdrawal and recovery hub) I would book in immediately to give my family a rest!

Hardy x