Benefits and side effects that benzo brains experience on buspar?

[fu...]

What is the major benefits you get from buspar? Can it help with racing thoughts and OCD? Can it be taken with a SSRI?

I read in some threads about tinnitus and I am scared to take it as I already deal with it due to an antidepressant that caused it.

Also, one user on reddit talking about an extra pyramidal side effect scared me. How common is that for the benzo buddies?

Do these symptoms go away?

Hi Fullofdeteination,

I have been on Buspar for the last 7 weeks since my jump from xanax. I am prescribed it with sertraline. I take it 3x daily and it seems to work well. I had agoraphobia, obsessive thoughts (not of self harm but the constant fear of an anxiety attack or that something bad was going to happen any minute), and akathisia during withdrawal. The Buspar gives me a feeling of calmness. You have to give it a few weeks to reach maximum therapeutic dose so it doesn’t work instantly like benzos. It’s such a safe drug it’s worth a shot.

I hope it helps!

-Brit

Hi Fullofdeteination,

I have been on Buspar for the last 7 weeks since my jump from xanax. I am prescribed it with sertraline. I take it 3x daily and it seems to work well. I had agoraphobia, obsessive thoughts (not of self harm but the constant fear of an anxiety attack or that something bad was going to happen any minute), and akathisia during withdrawal. The Buspar gives me a feeling of calmness. You have to give it a few weeks to reach maximum therapeutic dose so it doesn’t work instantly like benzos. It’s such a safe drug it’s worth a shot.

I hope it helps!

-Brit

The indication if to use only post taper? Did it cause tinnitus or worsened it in you?

Hello!

I did not get tinnitus at all. I started it during the beginning of my taper, which was rapid over the course of 10 days. (DO NOT RECOMMEND)

I was previously prescribed 100mg of Zoloft in addition to the Xanax for the last 7 years but have stopped both and am now only on the Buspar. I never had any reaction with the Zoloft and Buspar combination prior to jumping off Zoloft.

I hope this helps and gives you hope. Not a doctor by any means but this is my experience.

Brit

• 3 weeks later...

Fullofdetermination,

I am doing well. I am now 72 days (10 weeks) post jump. I still experience some mild anxiety and depressive episodes but it seems to pass fairly quickly. As far as physical symptoms, most have subsided or are completely gone. I guess I have been pretty lucky but don’t want to speak too soon.

Mary,

Thank you for the feedback on the Buspar. Please keep me updated on how your taper goes!

Best to you both,

Bri