Advice on Quetiapine taper -Sensitive- pls don't scare me

[Re...]

Buddies,

I stopped Ativan four months ago. A hospital put me on Quetiapine 125 mg when I didn't sleep for two weeks after stopping. While the Quetiapine helped me catch up on much-needed sleep, I am now having trouble getting off it.

I recently weaned down to 34.5 mg using compounded doses. The last cut threw me into a two-week period close to benzo acute.

I am terrified to get off this last amount -- major fear of side effects because of benzo withdrawal. I know it is a commonly used medication, but I cannot believe a doctor would put me on it. It just seems like more drama to add to an already difficult situation.

I was told by a psychiatrist known in the benzo field to taper 1-2 percent of the dose over time. I was just would like to know if this sounds correct and if there is any additional information anyone might have to do this in the safest way possible. And when is the best time to do it? I am concerned that the longer I am on it, the more my body will be used to it.

Before getting off benzos, I never had trouble discontinuing any medications. I have severe medical anxiety and trauma from the benzo experience, and I have also been dealing with about 20 sxs since getting off the benzos. I have not been stable enough to work or function, so I am unsure if now is the best time to get off the rest of this Quetiapine. Of course now I do not trust these doctors and their reassurances that certain side effects "will not happen to you." 

I know you’re concerned about being on the drug longer but if it’s not causing your problems, I’d sure wait until you’ve recovered before tapering it.  You’re in the thick of benzo recovery right now and I fear you’re adding to your difficulties by tapering the Quetiapine.

Pamster,

I hear you and I take the feedback! I hate to have to go through another withdrawal. I fear it will set me back either way.

I have anxiety about taking any psych medication at this point.