Please help give me hope. Covid

[te...]

Hello, I was in acute withdrawal since November 14th after a long taper, but I cold turkeyed 15 months before that, and my acute after my taper felt pretty similar to my cold turkey.  I was just starting to feel things were slightly more tolerable in month two, but I got covid on January 1st.  I felt like I had the normal symptoms of being sick on top of my usual withdrawal symptoms. But when the virus' flu-like symptoms went away, I started getting much worse than ever.  It has been two weeks and I still feel way worse.  I don't know whether this is a benzo setback, or long covid.  I know long covid is usually diagnosed after a month or three months, but I am terrified of it being the long covid that people talk about.  I see people on here set back a year from this, but all I want is to just feel able to tolerate the days a little, I don't even need full healing.

This is one of my biggest concerns—If I DO have long covid, and it does completely debilitate me for a year, then how could I ever live peacefully again knowing that a virus is out there this is completely unavoidable, that can cause something worse than acute withdrawal, and that could be caught repeatedly every year?  So I could get long covid, take a year to be able to even function at all, feel fine for 3 months, get covid again for a year, feel fine for a few months, get covid again for a year . . . How could that not go on for the rest of my life, since the virus is always there and changing?  What is the point of living if you can be repeatedly almost guaranteed to be thrown into this again?

It's basically like saying "Hey, just so you know, they have mosquitoes everywhere that carry doses of benzos now" right after spending a bunch of time trying to get away from them.  So every time you get bitten by a mosquito, you become debilitated and completely can't function . . . It seems similar to that.

Can somebody please help me to have a different perspective about this?  I have no idea how to reconcile with that.  I have seen people far more healed than I am feel worse than acute from long covid too.  Have any of you caught covid, had a terrible/terrifying setback, and had it only last a few weeks or a month?  I can't imagine this not lasting a long time.

The weight on my shoulders is this: "If you heal from this setback in a month, the worst will be over, and EVEN IF you get this in the future, it will be okay, because this was only a month" vs. "If you take a year to heal from this, you are somebody who can get long covid, and if you can, it is unavoidable, and you will get reinfected for the rest of your life, or at least several years, and every time you are about to be feeling really great, you will get this virus again."

To be living between those two options is absolutely terrifying.  Please help give me hope.  I feel on one hand like I am being given a death sentence, but worse.  Because it is living death.  On the other hand, I could be doing as well as I was in a few weeks and think "Oh . . . Yeah, covid won't ruin my life completely in the future. That only lasted a month."

Thank you for anybody who decides to read this.  I know it's a long message . . .

I got Covid at Christmas and still not feeling well from that plus many symptoms that had almost resolved or gotten better have returned with a vengeance. I wouldn’t say it is as bad as acute, because that was complete torturous hell, but definitely a step back and what I would call a horrible wave, maybe even a setback if it continues. I too fear long Covid, but the way I see it, it is what it is and all I can do is cope.

I was able to avoid Covid for three years and will continue to do so as much as I can. It just seems inevitable that we are going to get it repeatedly and it doesn’t seem like there is much we can do about that except live with the consequences. Yes, this sucks and is unfortunate but again, it is what it is at this point.

I think we are still early on in this Covid journey and maybe we will be presently surprised with how soon we go back to our previous baselines. Your fears aren’t invalid or irrational, but they are just fears since we don’t know what the future will bring.

That is the only way I know how to cope at this point. Just keep on keeping on. Hugs and virtual wishes for peace and healing. ☮️

I got Omicron a year ago (Jan 18 2022) and, alas, the rotten s/x are still with me -- fatigue, dizziness, some cognitive issues . . . manly left-brain things like doing math in my head. Also my memory sucks.  BUT I am living my life as best I can (writer and publisher). Will long Covid fade? Who knows? But it is what it is and I have to live with it. btw I still caught Covid after 4 vaccinations and boosters and wearing a mask in crowded situations. My advice -- don't obsess about this. Take all the precautions you can. Be sensible. And if you get it, you get it.

Fortunately I've been "healed" from benzos for awhile and was  feeling okay. I had a rotten taper, so getting rotten long Covid s/x seems like a nasty unfair freaking joke from the universe. But s**t happens, doesn't it?

Hope this helps,

:smitten:

Katz

The only problem is that I can't even live life or anything at all.  :/ I am stuck in a house all day and can't be around people because I feel so bad, can't feel interested in anything, and have been bed bound a lot more often after getting covid.  I am only living to heal, but my life can't be enjoyable like this, as it has been worse than acute.  It is hard to see how I can go on to live a life where I will be repeatedly infected if I become THIS debilitated. I understand maybe a normal long covid situation where life is still manageable, but I am having many many moments of difficulty even getting through two minutes at a time, so a year of torture sounds terrible.  Is there a point for you where it started being more tolerable?  Can you give me any kind of timeline of how yours went? I know we're different, but I'm trying to here this from as many people as I can.  :/ Thank you very much.  If it is just super temporary and I go back to my baseline, then I might be able to be less afraid, but this is so up and down I can't even tell what's ever going to happen at all.

Tinkered, I have been out of commission from this completely.  I already was, but now it is to the point where I even miss how I was just doing in acute and I feel all kinds of new symptoms, and I don't know when they will stop either.  Did covid make you that bad too?  Where even minutes are hard to survive and you feel tormented and completely hopeless?  I would say I could accept that I will repeatedly get covid, but doesn't that mean I have to accept a life where I can't live at all, since getting it put me out of commission?

I’ve lived that way for three years already anyway, so it’s just more of the same for me, just worse for the time being and more unknowing if it will ever get better. It must be hard to have gotten much better and now a setback due to a virus. This feels like a test in how much suffering a human can withstand sometimes.

Tinkered, I wasn't too much better, I was still housebound except walks around the neighborhood, but I was starting to be able to cook from recipes more, fixing a few things, buying clothes again.  Now I am having trouble almost every moment, except at night I often have a pretty noticeable change.  I am switching through a lot of new weird symptoms.  How out of commission are you?  Have you improved at all since getting covid?  How much are you able to do/are you able to go places/do things/work?

Tinkered, also, sorry, but are you a man or a woman?  I have seen that women are much more likely to get long covid, and I've noticed that most I've seen post on here about it are women. So I hope that could maybe mean something positive for me, being a man.

Tinkered, I have been out of commission from this completely.  I already was, but now it is to the point where I even miss how I was just doing in acute and I feel all kinds of new symptoms, and I don't know when they will stop either.  Did covid make you that bad too?  Where even minutes are hard to survive and you feel tormented and completely hopeless?  I would say I could accept that I will repeatedly get covid, but doesn't that mean I have to accept a life where I can't live at all, since getting it put me out of commission?

Actually, during the Covid sickness all of my benzo stuff went away for like 3 days, then after that benzo wd hit me like a ton of bricks. I still have cough and congestion plus bonus wd. It’s a challenge to not become completely nihilistic but I just do everything I can to try to distract myself and hope for the best.

Tinkered, weird—I had my withdrawal synptoms remain the same but felt worse simply because being sick complicated things.  I was only actively sick for like two days, then my eithdrawal symptoms came back with a vengeance too.  I can't tell if I have covid or a benzo setback from covid.  I occasionally cough up a little bit of mucus, but my symptoms cycle between trouble breathing (but oxygen is fine, and I already had this symptom 24/7, but now it's even worse), severe depression, insomnia, wooshing feeling in my limbs (which has gone), bright vision, heart pounding, tachycardia once, akathisia once, tight ribs/stomach/chest (which I also already had, but worse), crazy restlessness, weird variations of symptoms I already have, a strange geadache that seemed to make me feel very weird . . . but not really the more common long covid symptoms.

Also, it seems like on here, I don't find many people catastrophizing like this, worrying about it lasting forever, tgen getting better. It seems like the people who feel bad STAY feeling bad for longer.  I don't know.  I haven't seen too many people, I just click around on here, but I want to find more people who healed fast who DID get bad.  Not just people who didn't really have a setback at all, ya know?

Thanks for your responses Tinkered

I was going to say it doesn't necessarily have to be long covid, it could be a setback from covid, there are several people on here who have been setback by covid sadly.. check out medication induced setback group under support groups, I believe you'll find some posts about it there.

I was going to say it doesn't necessarily have to be long covid, it could be a setback from covid, there are several people on here who have been setback by covid sadly.. check out medication induced setback group under support groups, I believe you'll find some posts about it there.

I’m guessing you are still in a setback, Kathy? I was running a fever all day yesterday and the prospect of needing antibiotics right now is distressing.

I’m guessing you are still in a setback, Kathy? I was running a fever all day yesterday and the prospect of needing antibiotics right now is distressing.

yes I still am (( it's been a fun ride to say the least.. are you over covid or its still covid fever? So sorry you are not well, check out ozone with ubvi iv's or high dose vitamin infusions in your area, I've used them to treat covids and flus 4 times already.. All in this setback.. I don't think I'll ever be able to take an antibiotic again.. So having to find ways.. hope you feel better soon!

Hi,

I can't speak for myself on long Covid... but a close friend of mine did.  She's suffered everything from fatigue, any and all body symptoms, hair loss, memory loss....  And her husband died after their same illness.  What helps her is a combination of an intense vitamin routine (including Multi, C, Zinc, NAC, Elderberry) I'm sure I'm missing some.  She takes detox baths of epsom salt, baking soda often.  She recently has found that going to a Salt room has helped her a lot.  Another thing that helped recover from the initial infection were the at home IV fluids.  For hydration and vitamins.  She absolutely amazes me just taking every day as it comes and not letting anything bother her too much. 

I hope you feel better!

Does insurance generally cover all of these IV infusions? The fever is surely Covid related, but it's not the initial fever I had in acute. Pretty sure my eardrum punctured and I'm still coughing a lot but not able to clear my lungs.

Does insurance generally cover all of these IV infusions? The fever is surely Covid related, but it's not the initial fever I had in acute. Pretty sure my eardrum punctured and I'm still coughing a lot but not able to clear my lungs.

Oh, I'm so sorry, no insurance doesn't cover natural treatments unfortunately, I had to pay out of pocket.

Hi folks.  This is the first time I have entered a response to anyone, so bear with me.  Short background on myself: I am soon to be 68, started Klonipin just before Thanksgiving 2019 because my Dr. took me off my beta blocker BP med cold turkey along with the other BP med I had been taking and I had a bad reaction.  I learned only in 2022 that no one should ever cold turkey a beta blocker; that they are an anti-anxiety med (no ever told me any of that).  So I assume that I went into a nasty wd from stopping my beta blocker:  screaming anxiety, terrified, extreme torso muscle contractions so bad that I couldn't get a breath,...  Anyway, the doctor, without even seeing me in person for ANY of this prescribed the BZ, which only helped enough, but not really well.  Was on the BZ for over a month, Dr. gave me instructions for quitting which involved cutting 25% every week til pills were gone.  Obviously that did NOT work.  You all know the result.  In the course of visiting ERs over and over I finally went to one with a doctor who did a pretty good workup on me and I learned some new things about my health that no one had ever noticed about me before.  Long story short, I ended up with 4 surgeries in 2020 over the course of 7 months: a remodeling of my bile duct due to a congenitally abnormally narrow entry into my intestine; a tricky test to determine aldersterone output from my right adrenal gland which showed a benign tumor; surgery to remove that same adrenal gland; surgery to remove my gallbladder.  And all of this while trying to do a relatively fast taper off from Ativan (a very ignorant dr. from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, no less, had taken me off from Klonipin and put me on Ativan, upping my doses to 4 times every day; "It is shorter acting so should be easier to stop taking," she told me; Maybe she was really the janitor, I couldn't swear otherwise; I was so miserable that I wasn't really able to think well; this was very early days of Covid and happened just as elective surgeries were being stopped in U.S.).  I had to keep taking this poison for months until Mayo would resume their outpatient surgeries.

Anyway, I had to find out, like most everyone else on this forum, how to treat myself.  Not only did I have to learn about BZs, and tapering, and what wd symptoms really were, but my body had to relearn how to digest food more normally than it ever had since I was born, evidently, along with learning how to adjust to having no gallbladder and only one remaining adrenal gland.  I lost 45 lbs from Thanksgiving '19 to August '20.  Was down to 95 pounds at my lowest and thought I was watching myself slowly die, like a holocaust victim.  I begged to die, I know that.  The only good thing that came out of those 2 years was that by removing my adrenal tumor, my BP normalized almost overnight.  All those years fussing with different meds and it was a tumor that was causing the problem.

I am still experiencing wd symptoms now, at almost 30 months off.  I, too, despair on some days of ever being able to live a life without the other shoe dropping at a moment's notice, of being brought to the brink of the abyss.  Yet I am so much better than I was in 2020.  I can actually entertain at times, can visit my step-mother, do laundry, take long walks, go fishing, and more.  But I can also end up in a puddle on the floor, crying my heart out, begging it all to STOP.  The physical symptoms I can deal with, but what I call the "psycho" symptoms are unbearable when they happen.  But I put one foot in front of the other and keep walking.  And hoping.  If it wasn't for my husband, a natural born caretaker, I wouldn't be here.  Thank you, God, for Tom.

The reason for this message:

I do a lot of research (like many, many of you) on scientific info. (I am retired but did research for library patrons for 45 years) and a couple of the more interesting bits I have found from very recent reports on Covid is that there appears to be a definite gut biome connection to the virus.  Science thinks that they are getting closer to predicting who will and won't get sickest just by examining the gut.  Of course they don't have everything exactly figured out, but they believe that by improving and restoring the gut biome, that Covid patients can avoid or heal from Long Covid.  Even by maybe introducing healthy feces into the gut.  The thinking, I believe, is that a poor biome is unable to kill off all the virus; it lingers, and when it lingers it continues to create issues in the host.  As the gut is the center of our immune function, and a direct line to the brain/mental state, improving the gut would theoretically be key to treating Long Covid.  I am not a doctor (surprise, surprise) nor do I profess to be, but as science is discovering more and more about the value of the gut, this theory doesn't seem far fetched to me.

The typical American diet is woefully lousy for gut health.  In fact, the U.S. population is maybe the most unhealthy and sickest population in the world of "advanced" countries.  In spite of our "wonderful" health care system, we continue to get sicker and sicker.  The current concern over ultra-processed food in our diets is not overblown, in my opinion.  I would even venture to say that BZ victims are like the canary in the coal mine for human health in this country.  Since we are hyper-reactive to most everything, we can more easily sense when we are coming into contact with things that don't mesh well with the human organism.  What others can easily ignore, punches us in the nose.

I just recently also read from an article in The Week magazine, that people who consume more than 20% of their daily calories from ultraprocessed foods have a 28 percent faster cognitive decline compared with those whose intake is less than 20%.  That's only about 400 calories out of the average 2000-calorie diet.  And most Americans are significantly over that: getting on average about 58% of their calories from ultraprocessed foods!  Since the gut is naturally made up of helpful bacteria and not-so-helpful bacteria, and since soluable and insoluable fiber is what feeds the helpful bacteria, and added sugars, additives, white flour, adulterated fats, and other fast-food thingies all feed the unhelpful bacteria, it isn't hard to see that a highly processed diet would get in the way of good health.  We are feeding the wrong animals.

So many folks on this forum have learned that if they eat less junk and more whole foods that they feel better.  Faster food does not automatially translate into better food.  Of course there are those who believe that it doesn't matter how careful you are in BZ recovery, you still feel like crap.  Can't argue that we all feel like crap at least some of the time, but I could argue that since there are so few things we can actually control over our healing process, one of the only, and maybe the best, ways we DO have available to us is to feed our poor little bodies with the fuel they need to do the hard work of healing.  I am one of those who believes with all her heart that what I eat can make me feel better.  Can't say how much of it makes me feel directly lousy, but nothing seems to make symptoms go away.  Just more bearable.  The human body hasn't evolved far enough, fast enough, to be able to adapt to all the "improvements" we keep making to our diets.  Or in our environments, for that matter.  One expert said (read the book METABOLICAL by a man who has spent his life guiding other experts) that "It isn't the food, it's what's been DONE to the food that matters."

What constitutes a good diet?  According to the above book, and other recent science (and yeah, I distrust that word as much as anyone) if a person eats whole foods (as close to coming out of the garden as possible), cooks it gently (no deep-frying or cooking at high temps), and avoids foods with ingredients that you can't pronounce, you should be on the right track.  In fact, one rule of thumb that the above book uses (somewhat euphemistically) is "If it has a nutrition label on it, don't eat it."  Of course, anything you can buy in a store is some kind of processed food; it can't get out of the field and onto a shelf without something being done to it.  But if a person avoided the most processed in favor of the least processed, you'd be doing your healing process a favor.  Any jarred sauce, bottled condiment, boxed food, soda, or common baked good is out of the running.  The more variety of fruits and vegetables that you can fit into your meals in a day, the better.  Supposedly a person only needs to eat meat once a day.  I have no real opinion on that.  Except that neurons require fats in order to repair themselves, so if you don't get your fats from meats, get them from olive or avocado oil, preferably cold-pressed.  My feeling is that I'd rather err on the side of caution than on the side of causing unnecessary physiological stress.

When I was early into my recovery, and my body was having a hard time processing food because withdrawal messes with digestion and because of my newly missing organs, I didn't know about this healthy diet information.  I just went with the "flu" diet of white rice, chicken broth, steamed vegetables, oyster crackers, and chicken breasts.  Later I learned that there might have been a reason that the broth seemed to be increasing my discomfort (and the crackers):  it is full of additives including a significant amount of MSG in order to improve the taste (MSG is the go-to in the industry to improve flavor, as this excitatory ingredient makes flavors pop in the mouth).  And white rice mostly translates into sugar, and sugar feeds bad bacteria, as I have said, as well as naturally increases anxiety.  I will never know what parts of my suffering were caused by what, but I do know that even eating my "flu" diet was making me feel better than when I ate what most everyone else was eating.

In summary, perhaps any of you who are suffering from increased symptoms while recovering from Covid might benefit from making a concerted effort to improve your gut health.  I'm sure it won't offer noticeable improvement overnight, but like any other garden, if you keep at it you should have less weeds, create better produce, and see results in time.  Not really a comfort, I know, but it does offer some hope, I think.  I hear that some people can tolerate vitamin supplements and digestive enzymes, and I am happy for you if you are one of them.  I am not.  I prefer to avoid all supplements, homeopathic remedies, medications of any type, and over-the-counter (or under-the-counter) products.  I strongly feel that any laboratory-created product taken chronically (that is, on a regular basis over a length of time) will only be a short-term solution, at best, while creating a long-term problem that will need to be addressed later on.  Anything that the body is introduced to that mimics something that it can do on its own -- hormones or other chemicals -- will only create some kind of dependence as the body has to adjust to fit this thing into the complex and intricate ecosystem that we rely on for biological life.  Something naturally occurring will have to go to make room for the artificial, to some extent.  What science likes to believe is nothing more than ENHANCING a body function is actually TAKING THE PLACE of someting natural.  Every drug that I have ever looked up has said this:  "Science doesn't really understand how [fill in the drug blank] works on a cellular level."  Remember:  antibiotics didn't really start to be prescribed until WWII.  The health machine as we currently know it is not very old.  What doctors don't know is HUGE compared to the teeny bit that they do.  And that changes all the time.  Remember Oleo margarine?  That was supposed to have been the clear answer to heart disease -- trans fats were thought to be better than animal fats.  We don't believe that now.  In fact, trans fats are implicated in CREATING heart problems.  And now science can't find any proof that serotonin fixes depression.  In fact, the latest research, comprehensive by anyone's standards, finds that placebos provide just as much help for depression as SSRI's.  Of course, for some people, sometimes, it appears that serotonin can help somewhat, but they really have no idea why.  So what science knows, they don't really KNOW, they just think it makes sense at the moment.  I would rather rely on common sense and Mother Nature than doctors.  But that's just me.

I don't know if any of this information helps anyone, but it might.  I certainly hope so.  It's what I am doing for myself, in any event.  May you all continue to heal faster and faster.  The body can't help BUT work at healing and creating homeostasis, because that is what it is PROGRAMMED TO DO!  It won't stop.  Every minute is a step closer than the previous minute.  Every body is unique and everyone's process can't help but be unique as well.  Tap into the collective energy -- I call it God -- and just hang in there.  Get out into the woods or a park or nature of some kind; that is full of raw collective energy.  Let the sunshine hit your skin, because that is raw energy as well as an instigator of vitamin D3, a natural immune booster.  Breathe deeply and slowly, or as best as you can manage, because that stimulates the vagal nerve, I am told, and that tells your body to calm.  Move, move, move.  Exercise to stimulate the immune system (the heart pumps the blood, and the muscles pump your immunity) and to boost GABA receptor restoration (that's something else I have just read in some scientific report or other -- there seems to be evidence of that).  Don't overdo the exercise, as there appears to be a tipping point -- too much may not be so helpful.  Or at least may not be helpful in dealing with symptoms.  Don't know what it means for healing.  Have no idea if that is true, but there seems to be anecdotal evidence to support that.  Treat yourselves like your favorite pet and be kind and patient.  My heart goes out to all of you!  Be grateful for a world in which we have sources of help like this forum.  I'm pulling for every one of you!  And can you save a little good will for me, too?  I sure need it.  This game is getting old.

• 1 year later...

@[Mo...] I did! And was better in about three months if I recall. But then got sick again in September 2023, maybe covid maybe not. Pretty sure it was Covid. The cough lingered for months, but finally settled down to a random throat frog. My voice feels deeper than before, but the fatigue, insomnia, chemical sensitivity, strange taste, all back to baseline, but better than baseline. I’m actually healing I think. 🌞 

Edited by [Ti...]
  • Love 1

On 15/01/2023 at 12:14, [[t...] said:

Hello, I was in acute withdrawal since November 14th after a long taper, but I cold turkeyed 15 months before that, and my acute after my taper felt pretty similar to my cold turkey.  I was just starting to feel things were slightly more tolerable in month two, but I got covid on January 1st.  I felt like I had the normal symptoms of being sick on top of my usual withdrawal symptoms. But when the virus' flu-like symptoms went away, I started getting much worse than ever.  It has been two weeks and I still feel way worse.  I don't know whether this is a benzo setback, or long covid.  I know long covid is usually diagnosed after a month or three months, but I am terrified of it being the long covid that people talk about.  I see people on here set back a year from this, but all I want is to just feel able to tolerate the days a little, I don't even need full healing.

This is one of my biggest concerns—If I DO have long covid, and it does completely debilitate me for a year, then how could I ever live peacefully again knowing that a virus is out there this is completely unavoidable, that can cause something worse than acute withdrawal, and that could be caught repeatedly every year?  So I could get long covid, take a year to be able to even function at all, feel fine for 3 months, get covid again for a year, feel fine for a few months, get covid again for a year . . . How could that not go on for the rest of my life, since the virus is always there and changing?  What is the point of living if you can be repeatedly almost guaranteed to be thrown into this again?

It's basically like saying "Hey, just so you know, they have mosquitoes everywhere that carry doses of benzos now" right after spending a bunch of time trying to get away from them.  So every time you get bitten by a mosquito, you become debilitated and completely can't function . . . It seems similar to that.

Can somebody please help me to have a different perspective about this?  I have no idea how to reconcile with that.  I have seen people far more healed than I am feel worse than acute from long covid too.  Have any of you caught covid, had a terrible/terrifying setback, and had it only last a few weeks or a month?  I can't imagine this not lasting a long time.

The weight on my shoulders is this: "If you heal from this setback in a month, the worst will be over, and EVEN IF you get this in the future, it will be okay, because this was only a month" vs. "If you take a year to heal from this, you are somebody who can get long covid, and if you can, it is unavoidable, and you will get reinfected for the rest of your life, or at least several years, and every time you are about to be feeling really great, you will get this virus again."

To be living between those two options is absolutely terrifying.  Please help give me hope.  I feel on one hand like I am being given a death sentence, but worse.  Because it is living death.  On the other hand, I could be doing as well as I was in a few weeks and think "Oh . . . Yeah, covid won't ruin my life completely in the future. That only lasted a month."

Thank you for anybody who decides to read this.  I know it's a long message . . .

@[te...] I am so sorry you are having such a rough time.  I just got over covid for the 2nd time.  The first time I wand about 2 years into my taper and then I finished my taper as of Jan. 1 this year and just got over it a couple of weeks ago.  It did cause a big flare up in my symptoms and they are still heightened but getting better.  Covid causes an extremely high inflammation respond in your body and I believe thats how it messes with our symptoms so much.  I know that many people are sensitive to natural things but what helped me was taking black seed oil everyday along with oregano oil.  They are extremely strong and have helped me.  Unfortunately, we never quite know what is around the corner but we have to focus on what we can to today.  With each day that goes by we ar one day closer to being healed.  Prayers for healing.  :smitten:

[or...]

@[Mo...] I still have long covid -- fatigue, dizziness, cognitive difficulties. I wish I could say it's getting better . . . and it may be, or I may just be inured to its effects. It's depressing. Still, I carry on doing what I can do.