We are here because of a broken system

[Br...]

Doctors who heavily prescribe benzos say the benefits outweigh the risks. Can you believe that? Studies have found them to be addictive and disorienting, especially in the elderly. Benzos also increase the risks of overdose when taken with opioids, alcohol or other drugs that can suppress breathing. Despite the risks, there's reckless prescribing of benzos by doctors in the US. Do you know why? Drug companies are paying them big $$$ for prescribing the medications, consulting and speaking fees as well as travel, lodging and meals. Yes, for drugs that harmed our health, and we were never warned of the dangers. We must get over the withdrawal side effects and manage our pain through massage, diet, exercise and by practicing mindfulness. Once we heal, we must warn others about the dangers of benzos and the broken system.

100% agree. The pharmaceutical industry is evil and doctors are in total compliance with them to keep pushing this poison, regardless of what it does to people. Some doctors are just totally clueless and naive but there are others who continue to prescibe benzos whilst being aware of the long-term effects. They are a disgrace. It is nothing more than a corrupt money-making scheme and we are the victims who have no choice but to dig ourselves out of this hole. But we WILL heal and when we do, we'll be stronger than ever.

• 1 month later...
I had a psychiatrist who just kept throwing Valium at the problem. Before I got off it, I was on 30-40mg a day. I had an appointment with him that my wife was in and she asked if it was okay to be on so much Valium. He said yes and that I was suffering so it was the correct course of action. When I was away at a detox facility my wife called him to let him know what was up with me. When she said I was getting off of Valium he sarcastically said “yeah, good luck with that”. She didn’t tell me about that until  I returned home. I was furious. I couldn’t believe this doctor couldn’t see that the Valium was the problem.

Yes. However, your life is your responsibility. Did I consent? Yes. Did I ask questions? No. Do research? No. Was my doctor intentionally trying to poison me? No. Did he know better? NO! Because approximately 90% of people taking benzos are pretty much okay discontinuing. He had 40 years of experience and a PhD. Seriously.

Pharma? Whatever-have you taken birth control, antibiotics, Tylenol ad infinum?

Listen-I am in a tremendous amount of suffering and I can be bitter, place blame, throw out verbal punches or I can get better, take responsibility for my behavior, my decisions and move forward with integrity and grace.

And hopefully do do with support and compassion from people in similar painful predicament. 🙏

My doctor did really lie to me. I did not consent at all. She first prescribed halcion and I realized that was habit forming so I told her I was not comfortable taking anything habit forming at all as I didn't want anything strongly impacting my CNS and wanted some guidance on OTC sleeping aids/supplments to try. (It's common where I live to even discuss supplements/vitamines with your GP.) She then prescribed rivotril knowing what it was, also a benzodiazepine, and that it went specifically against my request. She also knew I could only use it short term and should taper down but didn't inform me at all. It's still my body and my responsibility, sure, but I was not myself from cortizone withdrawal as she took me off 40 mg in a week, which she also hid from me but did realize. So she knew my CNS was already destabilized, she knew I'm a highly sensitive person, she knew I'm sensitive to hormones (cannot handle birth control even) and meds, and she did this anyway. When I got incredibly ill from the 40% cut she made me do, she didn't want to prescribe anymore and tried to get my parents to secretly lower my dose and pretend it had nothing to do with the drug. I obviously changed doctors and filed a complaint about her. I'm not saying every doctor is as deceiptful as she was, but in my case it was really horrific. I did ask questions, I asked her, I asked a therapist, I asked a psychiatrist. I got lied to by them all (her out of deceipt, the psychiatrist out of carelessness). I should have googled it myself before taking it and realized it was not safe but all doctors were telling me to take it and lied to my face. Regardless of symptom severity and most patients possibly discontinuing okay, I was clear in what I didn't want to start taking and she misguided me.