Taper from 2 weeks use of diazepam?

[Pa...]

I successfully tappered off of 1 mg of ativan 18 years ago.  I foolishly started taking zopiclone and occasional 500mg of the gaba b agonist supplement, phenibut occasionally last year  in 2022 during a very stressful year.  I managed to stop using both those products by sept 4 2022 and was off everything for 6 weeks, sleeping well and feeling normal.  Then my son died on oct 24.  I could not sleep at all, my gaba system crashed, as i had been abusing it all year  i Took 20 zopiclone and 11 phenibut in 60 days, just  few alternate days a week  Started to get major wd symptoms from both on december 3.  Stopped phenibut cold turkey which was a nightmare and am still getting symptoms, and dr has now switched me off zopiclone to diazepam to stabilize for a few weeks and then taper.  Do i need to do a long taper after only a few weeks use of valium and zopiclone?  I am on 10mg day, and feeling tired and dizzy most of the day, ie it is probably too much.

Hello PaulaDee, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m so very sorry for the loss of your son, I can’t imagine your pain, I can’t go there, no mother can. Even without that your year has been awful, to be put on and taken off so many drugs in brutal and I’m afraid you have even more pain is store.

I would suggest a slow taper, not more than 5-10% every couple of weeks but maybe even slower than that.  The key is to get you off the drug without causing you more pain and slow is the way to do that.  its good you’re already on Valium, what size pills do you have?

We’ll be happy to make suggestions and support you as you work your way off the drug but please be patient, those with a past history of benzo use can have a bit more intense symptoms so taking care to avoid them is best.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

PlanningYour Withdrawal (Taper)

WithdrawalSupport (during your taper)

Ashton manual symptom list

The Ashton Manual

Thank you for your reply.  I started taking 5mg for 5 days, then dr upped it to 10mg, once at night, for past 6 days.  I was having horrific physical side effects from the phenibut withdrawal and the valium covered most of them.  Most of the phenibut people just stop the diazepam after the week or two.  But, i was also using zopiclone alot.  My dr has agreed to a slow taper of my direction, but i am still noy convinced i have to do one.  Is there a quick valium taper for after short term use.  I used the ashton taper 18 years ago, and am familiar with it.  I guess i am not convinced i need to do it.

I've also started feeling terrible depression all morning, after going up to 10mgof. Valium.  I think it is too much!  I was only taking 5mg of zopiclone!  Can I just go back down to the original 5mgs i was on, just six days ago?  Here is what i have taken since starting the valium..10,5,5,5,10,5,10,10,10,10,10,10.  All the tens are the dr trying to stabilize me, but now i"ve been feeling depression all morning for the past four days!  Should i just stop?

I know Valium can cause depression so you may be right about taking too much.

Here is my concern about a fast vs a slow taper, the Zopiclone.  I consider this drug to be the most dangerous of the z-drugs, I see more members struggle to get off of it than any other so your use of that, combined with your Valium use, plus your previous taper from Ativan all have alarm bells going off for me.

You might try to cut back to 5 mgs Valium as a start but I wouldn’t make anymore big cuts like that.  It’s better to go too slow than too fast and get hit with worse symptoms than you’re feeling now.

I’d get input from other members too because I didn’t taper and have never taken Valium, I’m just going by what I’ve read but these threads in support groups might provide more input.

Z-drugWithdrawal Support Group

ValiumTapering Support

So sorry about losing your son.  :(  :hug:  Zopiclone is as close to a benzo as you can get, many switch to Diazepam to taper off of. In the US, the FDA wouldn't approve it, a weaker form marketed as Lunesta was approved here. And Phenibut is a type of gabapentinoid, structurally close to gabapentin and pregablin. Most of the withdrawal from the Phenibut is behind you, as it takes anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks for most people. 7.5 mg of Zopiclone is the equivalent of 5 mg Diazepam according to various online sources.

You haven't been on the Diazepam longer than 2 weeks, and several days you only took 5 mg. I think you could stay with 5 mg and be fine, the 10 mg you took should cover the remainder of any w/d from Phenibut, as it slowly leaves your system due to it's long half life. At higher doses. Diazepam can make you feel tired, dizzy and depressed. At 5 mg you shouldn't feel this much, if at all.

Pamster has raised some valid concerns, you were cycling Zopiclone and Phenibut, and you previously tapered off Ativan. It sounds like your doctor is benzo-wise, switching you to Diazepam to taper. You likely don't need to be on 10 mg, give yourself time to stabilize on 5 mg then start your taper. You might have needed the 10 mg to help you deal with your loss and the effects of both the Zopiclone and Phenibut, but I doubt you need to stay at that level. The fact you crashed is a sign you became dependent; so a sensible, slow, taper would prevent you from crashing yet again. Having successfully tapered off Ativan, you already know how to do that.

Finally, as you taper, find other ways to deal with stress. Exercise, hobbies, activities you enjoy; so you avoid repeating this. Distract yourself from whatever is causing you stress, redirect to doing something pleasant and calming that you enjoy. Develop coping skills. 

Thank you for your kind and detailed response.  My dr sees me next week, and I will go down to 9 for a week or so to start the taper.  I find facing a long taper while in mourning seems too much to. Bear.  I am not in the best frame of mind to face it all.  So i was just hoping to avoid it.

Thank you for your kind and detailed response.  My dr sees me next week, and I will go down to 9 for a week or so to start the taper.  I find facing a long taper while in mourning seems too much to. Bear.  I am not in the best frame of mind to face it all.  So i was just hoping to avoid it.

Hi Paula

I am so sorry to hear of the sad passing of your son. I can only imagine how painful it must be for you.

I used to do grief counselling so - benzo use aside (others are far more experienced than me in this) - I thought I would give you a couple of tips.

1) there is no right or wrong way to grieve and no time frame. Don’t let anyone tell you to get over it. It’s an adaptive process and the only way to arrive at a peaceful resolution is to go through it.

2) it’s only been a few weeks since your son’s death. I would expect you to be feeling some very powerful emotions at this time. They will come and go in waves. This is normal.

3)grief impacts on all aspects of our functioning. It’s not just emotional. It can affect sleep and behaviour too. Do whatever you need to do to help yourself get through it. If you need to keep a fave pair of socks - do it. Grief is a very individual thing.

4) like wdl it will get easier over time and you will eventually adjust to the loss. But it has to be in your own time.

5) the west doesn’t do grief very well. Sadly people often don’t know what to say or how to talk to the bereaved person. Just be aware of this.

If it all gets too much - maybe find a grief counsellor. Please note, psychologists don’t do grief counselling as part of their training.

I hope all that helps - just a little.

PaulaDee,

I agree with Pamster and Benzolottie - if you can drop down to 5mg diazepam, since you only took 10 for a few days, that would be good. Your taper will be a lot shorter than if you start tapering from 10mg and you've been on for only two weeks.

Of course, it's up to you. I can imagine the grief must feel unbearable. But a long taper might not fee much better.

Sending lots of care your way,

OR

• 3 weeks later...
Well, i ended up staying on 10 mg for the past 3 weeks since i posted this question, so now am starting a rral taper tonight.  Going to try go down 1mg every 7 days at first, as have only been on valium just over 4 weeks.  I am going to dry microtaaper every 7 to 10 days to make it smoother.  When i tapered years ago i did cut and hold, but i am 18 years older now and grieving.  Not really stable to begin with.  Still feelin residual anxiety and depression from the phenibut cold turkey and my son's death.  So not starting the taper at my best, but i need to get off this stuff.  It makes me feel depressed and lethargic all day!

I’m glad you’ve taken your time, you have a lot going on but just remember that while its good to have tapering goals, its important to listen to your body for cues of when to hold and when to reduce. 

Your previous benzo experience could play a role in your current situation, the body seems to remember past use so don’t expect this taper to mirror your last one. Like you said, you’re older now so that will play a part.

As I get into weeks 4 and 5 of being on valium, i find i ha ve terrible morning till about noon depression, and feel dizzy and hungover.  Oversedated it feels like, even of it didn't put me to sleep.  I feel almost normal for the rest of the day.  Is it the valium?  I have tapered down to 9.5 as of last night and today's depression hangover was the worst so far.  It is weird, because it totally lifts for the late afternoon and evening.

I don’t have experience with Valium but I know cortisol plays a big part in our mornings.  I would think your body would have adjusted to the Valium by now, meaning the depression and sedation should have eased, I wonder if posting on this support group thread would be helpful, they have experience specific to Valium. Valium Tapering Support