Done with Clonazapam

[Be...]

I am done with Clonazapam.  I took my last dose 14 hours ago.    I am ready to begin my next phase of mid-life without having this drug in my system.    After 26 + years taking a steady and low dose of Clonazapam, from 33 - 59 years old, I am realistic about the challenges and opportunities ahead.    The prospect of managing anxiety without having this medication in my system (or as back-up) to dull symptoms, is exciting to me.      As an artist turning 60 on August 10, I feel blessed to have this opportunity to live life more fully in the present by relying on my own internal coping mechanisms to meet my daily challenges.    I am thankful for my friends and family and my doctors as well as for this forum which has been a positive, hopeful place for me to get off Benzos and discuss/plan my taper.    I am looking forward to celebrating “Benzo-free for 8 months” on my 60th birthday on 8/10/63.    That is 8 months from today!    My taper was individualized by me to my needs and it was driven by my own withdrawal symptoms.  I consider myself very fortunate to be experiencing quite mild and manageable symptoms of anxiety that I have had for my entire life.   

Yay!  Congratulations to you. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much.  :smitten:  I am proud and already enjoying this next benzo-free phase of my life.    It took me one year to taper off 1MG but, after 26 years on this medicine, it was well worth the slow taper! This year gave me ample time to expose myself to lifelong triggers and to better learn how to prevent and manage underlying anxiety with my own coping mechanisms.    I feel very motivated and empowered to help others get off Benzos, or better yet never start them!

My last dose of clonazapam, at 0.025MG, was about 72 hours ago.    I do not feel any acute or strong withdrawal symptoms and I am surprised.    I do feel sone mild (2 or 3 out of 10) withdrawal, time-limited symptoms from about 4 - 7pm daily:    Mild Headache, mild chills, mild muscle tremors, mild anxiety BUT it passes!  During the night I wake twice and it feels like I have jet lag BUT I fall back asleep quickly.  Last night, I slept 8 hours and the night before 6 - 7 hours.          What should I expect ahead????  This is very manageable and I am continuing to enjoy my friends, family, work and hobbies  and exercising moderately - walking a few miles a day, weight lifting 3X per week, pilates mat class 2X per week, meditation 1X daily.    Eating well to support being off clonazapam - with gaba supporting foods, Mediterranean type diet and minimal sugar and white flour/rice.    Taking calcium/vitamin D/K/Magmesium supplement 2X per day and a probiotic.    My family is going abroad for about a week - leaving in 10 days.     

What should I expect if my withdrawal is mild and manageable so far and life is carrying on well…?  Are the sudden appearance of acute or strong symptoms all but guaranteed or is it possible I could have a mild transition like the past 3 nights?

Hi Bebold and congratulations!

The only thing I recommend is to be careful what you eat and what you take. Things you think may help you may turn against your healing process. Your body is clever enough to heal itself just having real food. In my case I decided to only take the stuff I really need and after been tested that I do.

I've been off for two years since my ordeal started almost five years ago after a short use. I dedicated most of the time to taper this poison with two reinstatements on my shoulders. It was mostly supplements and calming teas what really hurt me. I only take vitamin D because I checked is low and get my vitamins and probiotics from food (sardines/vegetables/Yogurt).

We monitor ourselves all the time and that's the mental side of the war we have to fight. Being an artist will help tremendously. Distraction is a big key!

You are in a good path to fully recover!

Mice 

Thank you mice.    I like your advice.    I enjoy hot herbal tea in the winter - typically one cup a day or every other day.    (I do not drink coffee after 8am.). I take vitamin D/calcium because of osteopenia.    I have always taken a probiotic daily but also eat plain nonfat yogurt so perhaps it is not necessary any more.    Good thinking.   

I am very proud of myself because tomorrow will be day 6 completely off clonazapam.    First time in 26+ years that I have not taken this drug.    I am feeling surprisingly well.   

No debilitating symptoms.  one or two symptoms that are more annoyances than anything.  Ear itching.    Wake at night 2X.  Proceeding gently into re-entry. My focus is on living a healthy lifestyle.  Plus Exposing myself to situations that created panic in the past to challenge myself not to take clonazapam.    This makes me stronger.    I feel better and better each day because my systems are continually healing.  :smitten:

Day 7 after stopping clonazapam.    A couple of irritating annoyances and not sure if it is because I stoped clonazapam after 26 years taking this drug every night for anxiety and sleep.    1)  I wake 3 or 4 times during the night.    I typically go back to sleep though so although looking forward to 6 or 7 hours uninterrupted, I can still function well.  2) My skin is itchy and easily irritated 3) I have been eating more so weight is up 3 lbs. 

Is this normal for first week of a benzo after so long?