Looking for some encouragement-4 years snce begnning tapr sleep is stll horrible

[oc...]

Hey, I have not posted on here in a while - sometimes you just kinda give up and go away. I posted a thread last year regarding my sleep -at the time  I was 3 years after starting taper at the time and 1 year after finishing taper and my sleep was still terrible. Well, now its been 2 years since end of taper and my sleep is still pretty bad.

When I started the taper my sleep was non existant for about a year and half I got probably 5 - 7 hours a WEEK at one point I went 9 days with out any sleep and went to the hospital a couple times because of the such long extended times of no sleep. In the first 2.5 years I had hundreds of zero nights of sleep.

After year number 2 my sleep got better but not by much - Since year 3 began it seems that during the spring I get  2-3 months of average sleep 4-5 hours and maybe a week of sleep thats more than 6 hours. After the spring I start on a downward spiral with sleep - it gets worse and worse until the winter when its ats its worse and I am getting almost no sleep again for 3-4 months and  I am constantly sick with colds because my system is so ran down. These waves that I have been going thru last for months and months.

I am looking for anyone has quit long term and is still having trouble with sleep after 3 -4 years and might have some advice or words of encouragement. I wanna find out how long im gonna be going thru this. This gets pretty brutal after years of very little sleep.

Thanks!

I guess you've probably tried all of the supplements people suggest here?  Can you tell me, is it your thoughts keeping you awake or are you dealing with physical symptoms?

Hey! thanks for replying - I wouldnt say that its my thoughts - I am just amped up all the time still. I can go to sleep at 3 or 4 am and wake up at 6 am and feel like I am bouncing off a wall and then 3 or 4 hours later I crash and I feel exhausted but cant sleep

I dont really have many of the phyisal WD symptoms I used to have like joint pain, double vision, horrible stomach pain ect ect Its mainly sleep - I still have an occasion or two when I have DR and DP

I had 3 zero nights this week and then the rest of the week it was literally no more than 3 hours of sleep. I go weeks without sleep and then I finally get a cold or something then I sleep a few hours for a couple nights then its back to not sleeping again.

I have tried all the supplments - but i am ordering a different kind of magnesium and apigenin and gonna see if that works.

The odd thing is that I get a little sleep in the spring but it gradually gets worse thoughout the summer until I am not sleep at all around october and that last until march or something - its done that the last two years. The first two years I never had a time when I got sleep.

But its just so depressing and draining not sleep for 8 or 9 months a year after 4 years -

Thanks again for the reply  :)

What a miserable situation, not to mention strange but that anxiety sounds like torture.  May I ask, did you have trouble sleeping before you withdrew from benzo's?  I notice you took Topomox and Depakote in the past, what was your sleep quality at that time?

Hi Ocean,

I’m sorry you are having a rough time getting rest. Have you tried meditation? For me, when I meditate, whether it’s directed meditation or mantra meditation, I instantly fall asleep. Please try it. I prefer mantra meditation more than directed meditation but they both seem to put me to sleep like I’m being rocked like a baby. It’s so soothing and cleansing. There are so many to choose from on YouTube. There’s also an app called Calm. Btw, the meditation on YouTube is free without interruption. :) If you don’t like one, just find another.

Your situation immediately brought meditation to my mind. I’m fact, I have been neglecting myself of it and will try it tonight before bed.

Wishing you a restful sleep  :)

Serene

What a miserable situation, not to mention strange but that anxiety sounds like torture.  May I ask, did you have trouble sleeping before you withdrew from benzo's?  I notice you took Topomox and Depakote in the past, what was your sleep quality at that time?

Sorry I didnt get back to you before now.

I was put on the medication when I was 16 and before that I always slept well - and even while i was taking the medication I slept well up until the last year where I started having autoimmune issues and my sleep was starting to be interupted with painful "shocks" in my brain that would keep me up all night.

Thanks

Hi Ocean,

I’m sorry you are having a rough time getting rest. Have you tried meditation? For me, when I meditate, whether it’s directed meditation or mantra meditation, I instantly fall asleep. Please try it. I prefer mantra meditation more than directed meditation but they both seem to put me to sleep like I’m being rocked like a baby. It’s so soothing and cleansing. There are so many to choose from on YouTube. There’s also an app called Calm. Btw, the meditation on YouTube is free without interruption. :) If you don’t like one, just find another.

Your situation immediately brought meditation to my mind. I’m fact, I have been neglecting myself of it and will try it tonight before bed.

Wishing you a restful sleep  :)

Serene

You know I started meditation when i first started going thru the withdrawal and the autoimmunes issues - but I havnt done it in a while. maybe I can look into meditation again - I'm sure it couldnt hurt. I appreciate it!

Thnks for replying!

I know people with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) tend to sleep more, I wonder if it might somehow be affecting you?  It seems so odd your winter months are worse.