Opinion from Pdoc on DMT Vs cut & hold

[co...]

I am not sure where to post this, so please move if not in the appropriate area.

Just visited my amazing Pdoc who got me down from 1.5mg Xanax to 11.95 mg Valium.  I am doing DMT (he is very open to new ideas and wants me to taper based off of my symptoms) for now, but am going to transition back to cut & hold.  He said he prefers cut & hold only because this method allows time for the brain to make more Gaba after the brain recognizes it's usual amount is gone.  Then rebuild and heal.  He says with DMT, the brain doesn't have enough time to make these adjustments.  With that being said, I know many buddies on here have had amazing success with DMT and so have I.  He would still be OK with it, but suggested I try cut & hold again to allow that time for my brain to heal in between cuts. 

He also said to prevent dementia as much as possible, learn something new.  Like a new language, hobby, etc.  Keeping the brain learning new things is how to protect it.

Any thoughts on this?

I think anyway you can get off of Benzos is a win!  I don't advocate for any particular way, just whatever works for you!  Everyone is different and what works for one, may not work for another.

Here I am again being the lab Rat!  Again, how every I can get off of this Benzo works for me!

I wish you all the best in your tapering plans and everyone on here who helps us- you are doing Gods work!

• 2 weeks later...

You are so fortunate having an understanding Dr!

You took Xanax for 15 yrs? I think long term use is so hard. I was 20+ yrs and 11 yr ago was forced off by c/t.

I do agree it's important to learn new things.  I'm going to try.

Good luck with your taper 😊

I'm glad that your pdoc is understanding of this process.  I also have a pdoc who lets me go at my own pace.

Keeping the brain active is key to preventing dementia.  I've heard that doing crossword puzzles is a good mental activity.

You are so fortunate having an understanding Dr!

You took Xanax for 15 yrs? I think long term use is so hard. I was 20+ yrs and 11 yr ago was forced off by c/t.

I do agree it's important to learn new things.  I'm going to try.

Good luck with your taper 😊

Gardenia

I have been taking this stuff now for 18 years!  Thank you so much for your kind words!  It really means a lot!  I am so sorry you were forced off C/T- that is horrible and in-humane.  I'm glad you made it through that!

Hugs

I'm glad that your pdoc is understanding of this process.  I also have a pdoc who lets me go at my own pace.

Keeping the brain active is key to preventing dementia.  I've heard that doing crossword puzzles is a good mental activity.

Rocknroll

Thank you!  Yes!  That's why I keep my part time job that I hate- just to keep my brain active as I constantly am forced to learn new things and keep a schedule. 

That's great about your doctor letting you go at your own pace.  Thank you for responding and best of luck to you!

I am not sure where to post this, so please move if not in the appropriate area.

Just visited my amazing Pdoc who got me down from 1.5mg Xanax to 11.95 mg Valium.  I am doing DMT (he is very open to new ideas and wants me to taper based off of my symptoms) for now, but am going to transition back to cut & hold.  He said he prefers cut & hold only because this method allows time for the brain to make more Gaba after the brain recognizes it's usual amount is gone.  Then rebuild and heal.  He says with DMT, the brain doesn't have enough time to make these adjustments.  With that being said, I know many buddies on here have had amazing success with DMT and so have I.  He would still be OK with it, but suggested I try cut & hold again to allow that time for my brain to heal in between cuts. 

He also said to prevent dementia as much as possible, learn something new.  Like a new language, hobby, etc.  Keeping the brain learning new things is how to protect it.

Any thoughts on this?

I think anyway you can get off of Benzos is a win!  I don't advocate for any particular way, just whatever works for you!  Everyone is different and what works for one, may not work for another.

Here I am again being the lab Rat!  Again, how every I can get off of this Benzo works for me!

I wish you all the best in your tapering plans and everyone on here who helps us- you are doing Gods work!

He's not wrong: I would definitely try learning a new language or study something while getting better.

Lol, I studied tarot and ufology while getting better.

Hey! It got me through 😆

Anything you can find to distract is good.

And you're fortunate to have a liberal minded pdoc; most are closed and only open to their ideas.

Good luck to you.

Any thoughts on this?

He's not wrong: I would definitely try learning a new language or study something while getting better.

Hey! It got me through 😆

And you're fortunate to have a liberal minded pdoc; most are closed and only open to their ideas.

Good luck to you.

Dragoon909

That is great that tarot got you through!  LOL  Whatever works!  I would really like to learn Spanish and am looking into that in addition to my much hated part time job. 

My Pdoc is amazing- took me years to find him!  I drive 2.5 hours each way to see him.  No one around my area knows how to get you off of this drug, only on.

Thank you!  Best wishes to you!

Cooper5,

My doc, who I like very much, also suggested in the beg. of my valium taper that I do not do a DMT, but do cut and hold. He felt a DMT made no sense b/c valium has a long half life. I listened to him and did a couple cuts via cut and hold, and realized quickly why a past member used to call this method "cut and suffer";-). I suffered A LOT. Eventually I started a DMT and it has gone much smoother. My doc has seen this and has supported it.

That being said, I started my taper at 4mg. You're on a much higher dose, and doing slightly bigger cuts now would probably be smart if you can handle it so you won't be tapering forever. But you may find, as you go lower, say below 4 or 5mgs, that the DMT becomes preferable.

Tldr: Try it and see what happens and be open to changing your method as you need to. Like with everything, YMMV.

:)

suffering.  Valium does not make me sleep.  You're one of the lucky ones. Yet, I feel exhausted.  I'm glad one of us is doing good.

widesky I am so sorry you are suffering! 

Cooper5,

My doc, who I like very much, also suggested in the beg. of my valium taper that I do not do a DMT, but do cut and hold. He felt a DMT made no sense b/c valium has a long half life. I listened to him and did a couple cuts via cut and hold, and realized quickly why a past member used to call this method "cut and suffer";-). I suffered A LOT. Eventually I started a DMT and it has gone much smoother. My doc has seen this and has supported it.

That being said, I started my taper at 4mg. You're on a much higher dose, and doing slightly bigger cuts now would probably be smart if you can handle it so you won't be tapering forever. But you may find, as you go lower, say below 4 or 5mgs, that the DMT becomes preferable.

Tldr: Try it and see what happens and be open to changing your method as you need to. Like with everything, YMMV.

:)

Openroad,

Thanks for the suggestion!  Cut and suffer- pretty accurate.  I do prefer this method because I was experiencing w/d, but then getting better.  So, for me I was seeing healing.  When I get lower, I am going to cut and hold at .5mg instead of 1mg.  Who knows, I may go back to DMT.  At this point, I feel like a lab rat!  I'm just taking it one cut at a time. 

I am so happy for you that you are almost done!  That is so exciting!

Openroad,

Thanks for the suggestion!  Cut and suffer- pretty accurate.  I do prefer this method because I was experiencing w/d, but then getting better.  So, for me I was seeing healing.  When I get lower, I am going to cut and hold at .5mg instead of 1mg.  Who knows, I may go back to DMT.  At this point, I feel like a lab rat!  I'm just taking it one cut at a time. 

I am so happy for you that you are almost done!  That is so exciting!

Cut and hold only becomes cut and suffer if the reduction in dose is too large.  We have members who make ‘small enough’ reductions in dose followed by ‘long enough’ holds (i.e. minitapering).  We also have members who make a series of microcuts and then hold.

Any thoughts on this?

Hey! It got me through 😆

Good luck to you.

Dragoon909

That is great that tarot got you through!  LOL  Whatever works!  I would really like to learn Spanish and am looking into that in addition to my much hated part time job. 

My Pdoc is amazing- took me years to find him!  I drive 2.5 hours each way to see him.  No one around my area knows how to get you off of this drug, only on.

Thank you!  Best wishes to you!

Not only tarot but God.

I'm not religious per se, but I do believe in God.

I'm not trying to influence you religiously in any way either, just sharing.

Ppl can believe whatever they want.

Not a day goes by I don't take a minute to ask the Lord for help.

I understand some are bitter at life and God for going through a hard time...I get it!

But I had to toss my ego to the side. It could be worse: one could be in stage 4 cancer.

I'm not trying to be insensitive,  but enlightening.

And yes, tarot helped me with the passing of days.

Crosswords...

Tarot...

Reading...

Puzzles...

Games...

And on and on...

Whatever helps one cope and stay grounded.