Substitution question

[Wa...]

It’s early I know.. day 4 of my Xanax taper.  Insomnia is such a beast for me.. and I am wondering thoughts on the Valium substitution vs Xanax direct taper?  Thoughts?

I didnt substitute but I have read on hear that valium is very sedating in the beginning but then its hypnotic effects wear off. I think once your sleep switch gets broke it takes a very long time for it come back. Ive been off for almost 11 months and I'm just starting to maybe see some improvements. I went from not being able to sleep at all to now I am able to fall asleep every night with no meds. I only sleep 4 or 5 hours though. Its brutal but it can be done.

You would think right. And if i had been getting this maybe 5 months ago it would have been fantastic but after 11 months of cumulative sleep debt its just not enough. My hope is that it is a sign that sleep is finally returning. We shall see. I have also read that some people start sleeping better the lower they get. Maybe that will be you. in any case youre gonna want to taper. I made a big mistake going cold turkey because I didnt know better and it has caused me way more problems than I should have had from my low dose and short term use.

I know about the cold turkey… pretty much did that I’m May (2 week taper off 1mg) and the anxiety and sleep

Deprivation got me back where I am now.  So angry at myself for reinstating.  But I have to find a way to let that go. Anyway.. I hope it gets better for you and I’ll add your name to my BB prayer list. 

10 weeks out.  Wish I had never done it. But the reason I did was I was on the verge of a total breakdown from family stress and sleep deprivation.  The “benzo wise” LOL psych told me I could reinstate and would sleep.. even make up for sleep debt.  What he didn’t tell me was that I would have to turn my 1mg at bedtime into dosing 4 times a day.  I knew I would have to updose a little but I stopped at 2.5 and said no more.  His reply was that I just hadn’t reached my dose yet.  I got a couple good nights sleep and I will say the anxiety and panic attacks are better but I wish I had just held on.  He also said I have another independent anxiety disorder and that my problem was not from the withdrawal.  I foolishly believed him but T that time I would have eaten shaved glass just to get my life back. Needless to say he is no longer “helping” me. So here I sit in my house, missing out on grandchildren and life.  Still not sleeping and dealing with this s—t.  I hate myself a little more every time I take the dose.  Sorry to drone on… I hope you have a good night’s sleep.

Hey Dont worry about droning on. Every single one of us is in misery. Mine told me the same thing when I came off. She said that it was an independent anxiety disorder. I never had anxiety in my life. She way overprescribed for the little bit of stress I was enduring. I look back and think I should have just had a couple of beers every evening and that would have sufficed. But since alcoholism runs in my family I have stayed away from it mostly. And some of it was my fault too. That first pill was magical, every worry and care i ever had just melted away. Then I stupidly started taking them for reasons that didnt require it. I had no idea that those pills were addictive. Now I have been stuck in misery, not being able to participate in my kids lives for the last 11 months. I just hang on to the hope that what they say here is true, that every body heals and most heal within 6 to 18 months. At this point I would be happy if my brain would quit burning and I could sleep.

I took them because my brain wouldn’t turn off at night and I couldn’t sleep.  All these years and doctors and nobody ever said how dangerous they were or that I should stop.  Just wrote the prescription. I’m  sorry you’re missing out on your kids lives.  I totally get that.. I’m sad every day that I can’t play with my grandchildren.  I’m 64 .. I was a really young 64 but this is starting to show.  So age isn’t on my side.  And I’m like you.  If I can get some sleep I think I can handle anything else that comes.  I have got to do this or I’m afraid my marriage will be ruined. That would be the end of me.  Prayers for us all 🙏🏻🙏🏻