Stresses leading to withdrawal setback or depression and anxiety causing this?

[un...]

Hi everyone,

I was better from withdrawal for over the last 1.5 years.  I was only left with moderate anxiety and pretty severe head pressure. 

I had stresses of trying different production jobs that just did not suit me - the type and hours and pay.  I had to try these because I was losing money fast and could not rebuild my fitness training clientele fast enough (because of COVID). 

I ended up running out of my savings and quitting the production job.  On top of this I had major relationship stresses. I am going to have to end up moving back home with my mother who seems to have dementia.  That is also stressful and the place smells really bad because she smokes. 

I don't know if anxiety/depression can cause all the withdrawal symptoms to come back or it is separate at this point.  Since June, I have been dealing with severe insomnia again, emotional numbness and depersonalization/derealization, panic, and worse head pressure.

The insomnia broke me down and my psych prescribed me Remeron/mirtazapine again.  I took it for 5 days and feel like I am possibly making a fatal error.  I don't know what to do.  Should I have just suffered and waited things out again or should I be treating anxiety/depression/insomnia with pills?

This feels endless.

I absolutely feel your stress is responsible for your misery, I believe it's the biggest contributor to increased symptom severity, I'm so sorry you're back in this mess again.  I don't know anything about Remeron but I've read some members have a tough time with it.  Is it too late to stop it, I hate to see you worry about it because of course, that will only increase your symptoms.

I agree with Pam on what she said about stress. It is very, very hard for some ppl to deal with naturally, but you need some kind of healthy natural outlet for it or it eventually builds and builds and culminates in anxiety disorders like GAD and Panic that can make your life a living hell and sleep seem almost impossible.

After reading what you wrote, money (lack of) seems to be a huge contributor.

I went back and looked at some of your initial posts but could not really determine what was going on in your life then when you 1st began taking Rx meds to cope.

I have been taking 15mg of Remeron for 8 nights.  It has helped with sleep most nights but hasn't done anything for the other symptoms. All the other symptoms I am experiencing now (emotional numbness, derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, insomnia etc.)  are the ones I had with the withdrawals in the past (starting with Effexor, then Remeron, Ativan etc.).  I really don't know what to do at this point.  My psych was hoping it would bring relief for all the symptoms.  I fear Remeron causing more problems in the future. Is it even safe to stop after a week or two? 

AntiBenzo7 - I first got on meds when I was in my last year of university 2006.  I was worn out from study stress and poor sleep and thinking about what my future after university would be (fear of unknown).  I was on Effexor for the longest (like 9 years) and it helped for the most part (with adjustments) until it didn't.  That first withdrawal set me up on a bunch of meds and more withdrawal for years. 

I have been taking 15mg of Remeron for 8 nights.  It has helped with sleep most nights but hasn't done anything for the other symptoms. All the other symptoms I am experiencing now (emotional numbness, derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, insomnia etc.)  are the ones I had with the withdrawals in the past (starting with Effexor, then Remeron, Ativan etc.).  I really don't know what to do at this point.  My psych was hoping it would bring relief for all the symptoms.  I fear Remeron causing more problems in the future. Is it even safe to stop after a week or two? 

AntiBenzo7 - I first got on meds when I was in my last year of university 2006.  I was worn out from study stress and poor sleep and thinking about what my future after university would be (fear of unknown).  I was on Effexor for the longest (like 9 years) and it helped for the most part (with adjustments) until it didn't.  That first withdrawal set me up on a bunch of meds and more withdrawal for years. 

Does your sig say you had problems with remeron in 2017? Sounds like you already know how this story ends if that's the case.

Back in 2016 when I took Remeron it relieved the symptoms and I was well and working for the year.  I went off fast and all symptoms came back.  I am aware of it being a problem. 

I am wondering if it is best to see if it helps then come off slowly this time.  Or should I get off the Remeron ASAP.  If so, after taking it for 2 weeks how should the tapering be? 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for asking.

I guess going on mirtazapine for 2 weeks didn't totally mess me up.  Sleep has come back this week to mostly 4hr per night.  Anxiety down too.  But depression and emotional numbness are both pretty horrible.  Trying to exercise to help that and going to get into running.  The head pressure got worse.  Just try to do stretches and take hot showers. 

I wish I could give others some hope. Things change that I know.  I am hoping I get to a place where the head pain and depression is far in the background.

I'm glad you got your sleep back a little. I hope your head pressure leaves and that your anhedonia is short lived. How are the stretches helping?