“Stop Thinking of Anxiety as a Disease” - great article from Psychology Today

[Gi...]

Hi everyone.  I’ve been off Xanax now for 3 months after being on it every day for 23 years.  My ability to deal with anxiety like “normal “ people has grown by leaps and bounds. I want to share this great article I read today by Tracy Dennis-Tiwary, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology at Hunter College of the City University of New York and the Director of the Emotion Regulation Lab.

I truly believe how we view anxiety can be game changer as we recover from benzos.  I hope this will encourage you.  Here’s an excerpt:

1. Treating anxiety as a disease isn't working. Although treatments exist, rates of anxiety disorders continue to rise.

2. This is because this disease model blocks us from learning to cope with anxiety.

3. Until we jettison this faulty model, our struggle with anxiety disorders will only worsen.

…Taking medication is not a failure, just like being anxious isn't a failure. But the medical profession has failed many patients in its irresponsible prescription of benzodiazepines as a treatment for anxiety disorders.

Bottom line: The disease model of anxiety isn't working. Until we jettison this faulty metaphor, our struggle with anxiety disorders will only worsen.”

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/more-feeling/202207/heal-anxiety-stop-thinking-it-disease

Great article, Git. Really, anxiety is neither a disorder nor a disease. It is indeed, a part of life. However, when it gets disabling is when you need to seek out a therapist imo (and not pop benzos). I found a great therapist and got a lot of insight into what was making me disablingly anxious. Understanding is way better than benzos!

Thanks again for the article. I hope it makes many ppl think.

Katz

Great article, Git. Really, anxiety is neither a disorder nor a disease. It is indeed, a part of life. However, when it gets disabling is when you need to seek out a therapist imo (and not pop benzos). I found a great therapist and got a lot of insight into what was making me disablingly anxious. Understanding is way better than benzos!

Thanks again for the article. I hope it makes many ppl think.

Katz

Thank you Katz for your reaffirming input.  ♥️